Archery deer Harvest thread~

lon0121

Had not seen an official 2011 deer archery kill thread so hey!! I figure i will strike one up?. Archery season started here last Saturday.

So if ya got a kill pic, post it here with some info!

Bow ya used, Broadhead of choice, stand/ground blind/spot and stalk.
How far was the tracking?

I'm going out this year with my ghilie suit and recurve. I've scored before with this set up hopefully this year the same. Last year I took off. Be safe my fellow tree stand hunters, always wear the safety belt, it saved my life once before.

The secret to hinting scent free with a ghilie suit is burying it in the ground for a few weeks and then dig it up and shake it off and hang it out on a tree for two more weeks and then hunt with it. Works for me

I have 2 bait piles up this year! One is in the timber where two bedding fields meet where i seen that old doe and her fawn a couple days ago, The other is in a field full of tall grass! It has not been hunted in a few years the landowner said so i assume the deer are very well off in size and are not pressured as much. I cant keep the bait there longer than 2 days and it is all gone! I mixed that swamp donkey attractent in with the corn and they literaly dug holes in the ground. It looks like a mud hole made by hogs. Some tracks were as long as 4 inches.

I over looked this area alot thinking nothing was in there, Thats the thing with whitetail, they will "if pressured" hang out and make a sanctuary in smaller areas you never thought to hunt. As long as they have food, cover and no pressure they will make a home anywhere.

not deer season yet but bear is open. shot this guy a week ago
DSCF1504-1.jpg

I used that bowhunters set up by muzzy the other day, Deer came right under my stand snorted at me and he/she was gone! Too dark for a shot let alone to tell what sex it was. I hate when i stay in a stand too late and all the deer gather at my bait pile and im stuck in the tree until they are gone. Found a rub already on a small cedar tree by my bait pile so i know there is buck activity just dont know the maturity yet!

I used to do some soft barking to get them away from me. Figured if they thought it was a dog chasing them off I would be good to come back to the stand later. I think it worked....I always saw deer at the same spot.

Originally Posted By: lon0121I used that bowhunters set up by muzzy the other day, Deer came right under my stand snorted at me and he/she was gone! Too dark for a shot let alone to tell what sex it was. I hate when i stay in a stand too late and all the deer gather at my bait pile and im stuck in the tree until they are gone. Found a rub already on a small cedar tree by my bait pile so i know there is buck activity just dont know the maturity yet!

I hate when that happens. In the past I have relocated my stand a little deeper down the run and caught them before all shootable light was gone. Depends on your location and setup.

IMG_0628.jpg

70# @ 30" Hoyt ,shot 10-15 yards (never did check it)
Broadhead : Rage 3 blade 100gr.

IMG_0640.jpg

50# @ 26" Hoyt, shot 22 yards
Broadhead : Rage 3 blade 100 gr.

Nice deer Tim! I have been out twice and seen shooters both times; not close enough though. Going out tomorrow I believe. We'll see what happens.

First deer I have ever taken with a bow. It was a doe but still a bow kill. I was using an old hoyt and I was sitting in a stand. The shot was about 25 yards and she went about 75 yards after the shot. I had a little 8 pointer walk under my stand at about 10 yards today, that was fun to see. Sorry for the bad picture it was with my phone as I was driving up the lane.

2011-09-21191902.jpg

Back