Log Homes,builders and log home know it alls.....

d2admin

Administrator
the moose has just bought a piece of heaven in the country. My wife and I plan to build a log home on a hill side overlooking a big slough and creekbottoms.
I am looking for suggestions and information on someone you would strongly suggest or suggest against. Any suggestions on buying logs from up north or down south for ??????? Any 'If I had to do it again I would .....'
Because of the internet we are looking at several factorys/builders all over the United States and Canada. I am locked in on company in ontario canada that pre assembles before shipping. need some help on building this home.
We are really looking foreward to building a loghome but I would really like some information from you guys/girls. thanks a bunch. randy moose merta

I haven't done it myself but my neighor did. I'm out of town right now and can't ask him the name of the company but I do know it is in Georga and all the pieces came numbered as to position and order of construction. He seems pleased and it certainly is a nice looking house both inside and out. Good Luck.

Hi Moose,
Glad to hear of the wish come true. The Mrs. and I want to do the same here in Texas someday. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
You may have done this by now. I did a search on the web for "log homes ind." and it brought up a few places near you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif This may help keep the cost down.
Septic tank, if used, just a thought but ensure it's not over or up from your water supply. What's the 100 year flood plan look like for your area? When was the last time a forest fire went through there? Would the area be susptable to mud or rock slides? How far is the nearest med center?
Just my 2cnts. worth.
Good building and hunting to Ya /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I lived in a log house in GA & currently live in a 'stick built' house. I have also visited a few log home builders. I am no expert but here are some considerations.

Most log homes will cost more than conventionally built homes of the same size. This is assuming you pay someone else to do most of the work. I met a guy once who said he wanted a log home because of the low maintainence. Low maintainence will give you a hunting camp or a faded, carpenter bee infested log home. They do require more work than conventional & look their best when new. How often have you seen faded log homes or ones where the owners gave up and painted over the logs.

I do think they have more character than the average house. There are many different log styles and types of wood. Northern white cedar is a very good wood but costs more than the pines. If you wanted traditional rounded logs you would have to go with a pine. To many building a log home is a 'labor of love' they say. Building quality can vary widely. You need to hookup with a local builder who has experience building your type of log home.

Good luck

My brother lives in a log home he built himself. He spent about 7 years building it. The logs are rounded on the outside, flat on the inside, with milled keys top and bottom. It is 2 stories of about 5000 sq. ft., plus a full basement and a separate log 3 car garage. It looks nice, he has a pretty location overlooking a lake and a creek bottom. It is far from maintenance free. He has to reseal the outside about every 4-5 years.

Jack

rich there is alot of coyote sign on the wabash erie canal towpath that runs through my property. the best thing about my property other than the seclusion,the creek,the slough,the view,the wildlife is the red fox den. there are little ones and big ones using the holes under the old hog feeder. my nearest neighbor 'had' a bunch of chickens but now has none. while looking at the fox den i found several chicken sets of chicken feet. hehe can't wait to get the home up. randy

Back