Best Powder Measurer???

walleyes13

What does everyone use to measurer powder.....electric scales, powder trickler, balance scales, uniflow scales???? I know know matter what we need to check out measurements. I'm in the market for a powder measurer and just curious what good and bad experiences there are out there and what everyone else is using? I'm going to be loading .223 and 300 win mag. Thanks for your info.

I measure volume out of a hornady lock-n-load dispenser. Then I measure weight on a cheap electronic scale that came with my kit and adjust with a hornady trickler.

If I had to do it over I'd buy a hornady auto charge!

Last edited:
I have the RCBS uniflow and a Ohuas scales with a trickler and a Hornady dispenser on my progressive press. But mostly I use a RCBS Chargemaster 1500.

Lee perfect powder measure, combined with a cheap set of digital scales for the occasional check weight.

One other thing, you can buy 3-4 lee perfect powder measures for the price of most of the others...and the others don't do any better!

Last edited:
Ya gotta be old like me to remember this powder measure. I've been using a Belding & Mull since 1964. They are made here in Pennsylvania. At least they were. Don't even know if they are still in production. I guess you can call me old school.
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: venaticI have the RCBS uniflow and a Ohuas scales with a trickler

Same setup I use. Ohaus made for RCBS (10-10).

For stick powder the Lee Perfect is about perfect. I have a bit of leaking and binding with ball powder while using the Lee. A buddy suggested adjusting the screw on the side to reduce/eliminate it, but I just use my old Lyman for ball powder.

I use the Lee perfect powder measure and just double check every few rounds on a small digital scale, so far works great for me and the Lee is right on the money most of the time.

Originally Posted By: peterjcYa gotta be old like me to remember this powder measure. I've been using a Belding & Mull since 1964. They are made here in Pennsylvania. At least they were. Don't even know if they are still in production. I guess you can call me old school.
thumbup.gif

With the drop tubes and push handles. I have a buddy who uses them as he can make drop tubes to suite each powder weight. Adam

Originally Posted By: peterjcYa gotta be old like me to remember this powder measure. I've been using a Belding & Mull since 1964. They are made here in Pennsylvania. At least they were. Don't even know if they are still in production. I guess you can call me old school.

I still have one, along with a bunch of drop tubes. I got tired of polishing the brass, so I gold plated all the brass, and it has been shiny ever since.

Meow
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: jethro21How accurate do you guys find the Chargemaster?

Extremely, I've never seen more than a .1 gr deviation with mine when checking it back to my beam scale. It's an excellent add on to the reloading bench, I like it best for load development when I want to do small batches of different powder charges...quick and easy to adjust...just punch in new charge weight and press dispense. Awesome gadget

I started off with a Uniflow, then Belding and mull, then Lyman-Culver conversion, then Lyman-Masker conversion, then Sinclair, and some where in there I bought a Redding BR-30 with with rifle and pistol conversions.

Have yet to buy the Harrel, which is the standard of benchrest shooters today.

I have an Ainsworh/Denver Instruments electronic scale which will weigh charges to the 0.001 and rounds up to the 0.01 grain on the dispay. This scale is super accurate and repeatable.

My two brothers have the Chargemasters, they love them, but I'm not going there...I'm to old school.

I trust regular powder measures on ball powders, all others get weighed.

I really love the Redding BR30 of all the powder measures that I have owned, it certainly throws charges as accurately as the super expensive measures I have had.

Back