22/250 reloading info

can't beat a well placed shot but its also nice to have as much lead as you can throw out there with accuracy. Thanks for all you suggestions folks.

My Savage 12 twist won't stabilize 60 gr Hornadys unless loaded really hot, almost to the point of primer flatening. Haven't tried the Sierras yet. It's a 26" barrel.

Originally Posted By: deadeye93Just started reloading for my 22/250 and would like some suggestions on loads. Gun is a stevens 200 22" barrel 1 in 12 twist. would like sugestions on heaviest bullet this gun will handle with reasonable accuracy. Used mainly for coyote control but may be chance of a crack at a timber wolf which is the reason looking for the heavier load. ranges would be up to 200 yards.

thanks
i have tried 12 different powders and numerous bullets this is what i came up with 1-12 1-14 twist will not shoot 60 grain or bigger,
i found the hornady 52 grain hpbt works great and is cheap, if you buy bulk.

the midway dogtown 55 grain hpfb drops em at 300 yards like a rock. also is cheap if you buy bulk.

i am now shooting the wc-844 ball powder costs me around 10.00 pound and works well around 3700 fps
remember all weapons are not the same and you will have to find your own loads.
if you shoot allot buy bulk. good luck

Hi,
I use RE15 powder, Lapua brass CCI BR2 primers and 55gr Sierra Game King. The base holds together well for penetration while the tip tends to expand well too. A good all-rounder projectile. For my part, if I were hunting something around a wold size, I'd use a 6mm or better. I'd be more humane.

I note that the Speer 70 gr has this as spec data

.22 Caliber, .224" Diameter, 70 Grain Semi-Spitzer Soft Point, Speer Varmint Hunting Rifle Bullets, 100 Bullets per Box
For 1-10" twist or faster
0.214 bullet coefficient
0.199 sectional density

In Wis. where I hunt most Coyotes are 35-45 lbs at most. My brother in law had a Wolf/Husky mix (87% wolf) it was 170lbs of solid muscle. You really want a .243/6mm minimum for an ethical wolf round. IMHO, unless you make a perfect shot you will likely wound with a .22 centerfire.

I have a Old Ruger with a 1in 14 twist and it shoots the 63 Grain Sierra SMP under 1" MOA. I have killed deer with this bullet and it does real well. Deer are bigger than a wolf.
I have no idea why one rifle with a 1 in 14 twist will shoot a heavy bullet like the 63 SMP and some wont.

DAB

Deadeye, your answer is the 60g Nosler partions or the 63g Sierra Semi point. I used a load of 39.5g of IMR 4350 with a Win primer with the 60's, and got very good accuracy...kills deer like lightening bolts.

Back off the load above a little for the 63's and seat the bullet to within .003 of the lands.

Don't use any kind of poly tip bullet.

The 60g partition is a really wicked bullet to say the least, very few people would believe it until they see the hide skinned off a deer.

My Savage Model 12 shoots 60gr Vmax's better than the 55gr Noslers. I would say the max bullet would be mid 60's. All depends on how fast you wanna push the bullet.

1-14 will handle the 63g Sierra for sure in 22/250, about a max load of IMR 4350 with a win primer. However, the 1-14 will not handle the 60g v max.

If it were me, I would shoot a Sierra 55g BTSP with Win 760, very fast velocity and the bullet will stay together on the bones of a heavier animal...avoid poly tip bullets, they fragment very fast.

Check this site for loads reported by shooters:

http://www.centerfirecentral.com/viewer.html

worked up some loads using 33 grains of Varget and 60 grain sierra hollow points and came up with some good groups at 100 yards, going to move up from there and see what happens

Back