Good weekend

Duane@ssu

Joe M, came up over the weekend to get his dog on some fur, and do some hunting.He got here late fri nite, so we just took things easy,
Sat morn, we worked with his pup alittle before it got hot. Mid day we get to talking about how he had never killed a badger,so.......
I felt it only right to show him some fun.We left out with intent to reduce the bagder population on our alfalfa feilds.
I'll make the story short, we shot 3 and the dogs killed 1, and found ours in the tall hay, for a total of 4 that afternoon, and got a coyote. Fat and happy we came back to the house for supper, and went to bed.Sunday morn, dog training again, and then off to shoot rockchucks,in the process, we spot 4 badgers heading for my horse pasture. I cut loose Buck and Six, and lay chase afoot with a pistol.(If you never seen 4 badgers fight two dogs,I can tell you "chaos" is an understatement). When all is said and done, 4 more diggers in the bag. Dogs are scratched up, but nothing serious, Six is really turning into a good dog.
AfternoonHunt.jpg

BuckandSixgetitdoneagain.jpg

5dogged4shotin8hoursofhunting.jpg

JoeMrockchuck.jpg

Last edited:
You must have a serious badger infestation Duane. It's a shame the don't bring anything on the fur market. Looks like yall stack them up!

Tony

Fur badgers bring alittle in the winter,(40 to 60$), but they are few and far between. Most are classified as
"hair badgers", they are worthless.We skin the good ones, which is not fun,(the only thing worse is an otter).
Everyone one that we kill, is one less hole to run my horse into,or break a calf's leg,, or wreck a piece of equipment.
We kill about a 100 of the stinky little diggers every year, and that's not enough to "get ahead" of them.

That looks like a great weekend to me!!! I can't wait to see Six work again. At 7 months he was working better then most year olds now at 9 months he looks like a veternan of the game. That's the best part of your breeding program, consistantly putting great pups on the ground!!! We'll see this weekend, what kind of trouble him and Whiskey can get into.

Wow, there must be a whole bunch of badgers in your country. That's amazing.

Duane, on the 4 running together. Do you see multiples together like that fairly often? I've always figured badgers to be loners for the most part. I don't see to many badgers here, but I've never seen 2 together, let alone a *pack*. lol. Do you see that fairly often?

And as far as young ones. Those 8 all look to be about the same size. Are this springs young out and about now and do you figure are any of those 8 are from this years hatch?

Lastly, badgers raising young. Is it a joint effort with both the female and male raising/providing for the young or is it a female only deal?

To cool on all those badgers. Way to go.

Wow - nice job, guys. Thanks for sharing the photos and story.

I think other than bringing home my own coyotes, I really, really need to see some dogs working in person. That has got to be some kind of exciting.

Raptor

Good job on the Badgers. I wish there were some good areas close by here to hunt them. We have some but not in large numbers. Like you said, they are buggers to skin.

This time of year, (every year) the badgers are moving the young. They use a den for rearing, and when the pups get grown she moves out, the pups stay together for awhile, then split up.Real common to see a [beeep] with 2,3,4 pups.
Females raise the pups, male is just "pump and run", no help in rearing.We do kill some big males this time of year, but they are always alone.

Originally Posted By: btech29Both!

LMAO
lol.gif
hahahahaha

Duane, that dog on the left (first pic) is one bad @$$ lookin' dog
thumbup1.gif
! Looks like a killer weekend to me.

Arden

Originally Posted By: btech29 Hey Duane, are badgers tough on dogs?

Yes they can be, they are cousins to wolverines, so pretty [beeep] tough. If a dog has not seen one before he can get tore up. I've seen two dogs that had seen alot of coyotes and badgers kill one, but I've never seen a dog kill one by its self. Once a badger gets in a hole a dog has no chance. Gary Rushane a government trapper in Utah/Idaho has an old Jagd terrier with no teeth left mostly from badger battles.

Last edited:
Back