Alaska Bear Camp 2011

FullCryHounds

Just got back from a great trip up to our Black Bear camp. We fly out of Seward to a camp located in an incredible valley loaded with bears. We land on the beach and set up a camp in the trees next to a glacial river. I took my daughter along this year so she could get a bear. She shot hers on her first morning about an hour into the hunt using her .270. These bears are just coming out of hibernation and have incredible thick, long hair. Even the hair between the pads and toes is overgrown.
We did have a couple of bait sites set up for clients wanting to sit in a stand. The sites were getting hammered every day. We left a carcass of a bear on one of the sites and the next morning, a bear carried it off. We think it must have been a brown bear because it didn't even drag it. There were more brown bears in here this year for some reason. I saw one sow with a single cub, another sow with twins and one large male. Most years we don't see any brownies because this river does not have a salmon run so the brownies aren't usually in there. This is also why so many black bears are in this valley, they don't like the grizzlies. One day I sat in camp with my glasses and spotting scope and spotted 11 adult bears and three cubs with a sow right from camp.
Had some really nice clients and all bears taken were over 6', one over 7'. Also had some that liked to smoke and urinate in the tree stands which posed a real challenge getting them thier bears but all ended well.
We ate good as usual. Ron brought in some fresh Halibut, Salmon, Frog legs, Clams, Moose and Caribou Steaks. Weather was very nice most days and the seals, sea lions, whales and otters kept everyone entertained most days.

Camp is located to the right of the picture.
2881066460102268325S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL]

My daughters bear. These bears have the longest and thickest hair of any bears I’ve ever seen.
2539685840102268325S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL]

View from camp
2774516080102268325S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL]

My daughters bear just before she shot him.
2994911090102268325S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL]

Heading into town with hides to have sealed.
2539184120102268325S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL]

Sounds like bear paradise, sure is beyond pretty. I'd love to do a soft field landing in the SuperCub
smile.gif
Your bears have a lot more hair than they do here. The one your daughter shot is a beaut.

Last edited:
Back