Woo-hoo! Drew an Elk tag - need assistance on .308 load

Heretic

Will wonders never cease? Drew a tag for Elk. I have a Rem 700 ADL (SPS) .308.

Other forums have mentioned that a .308 is sufficient for Elk (shot placement, I know...), with at least a 180grn bullet and under 250yds.

So...I'm going to try developing loads for 180grn Nosler AccuBonds.

Nosler recommends 44.0 of H380 as the most accurate powder tested with this bullet. That's the lowest charge they list and is 100% volume. I've never loaded that much and of course will work up to it.

I also have Varget, Benchmark, IMR 3031, IMR 4895.

So...what works for you folks with that weight bullet?

First-Congratulations on the elk tag. You should tell us more about it?? Sex?? Location?? That is the fun part.

I will let someone else talk about the reloading of the 308, since my choice is the 30-06. However I still would like to hear more about the hunt!!
thumbup.gif
Tom.

Last edited:
It's about 200mi north of Las Vegas, on the eastern side of the state. Tag is for a cow Elk.

A friend that has filled two tags in that area offered to guide if I drew.

Hunt is between first week of Dec through Jan 1.

Originally Posted By: HereticWill wonders never cease? Drew a tag for Elk. I have a Rem 700 ADL (SPS) .308.

Other forums have mentioned that a .308 is sufficient for Elk (shot placement, I know...), with at least a 180grn bullet and under 250yds.

So...I'm going to try developing loads for 180grn Nosler AccuBonds.

Nosler recommends 44.0 of H380 as the most accurate powder tested with this bullet. That's the lowest charge they list and is 100% volume. I've never loaded that much and of course will work up to it.

I also have Varget, Benchmark, IMR 3031, IMR 4895.

So...what works for you folks with that weight bullet?

Congrats on your elk tag. 180 bullet, IMO, is the lightest you would want to use for elk. As far as brand of bullet whether it be nosler, speer or whatever, you may want to keep Sierra Game kings in mind. According to what I have read and personal experience, the Sierra is a hard bullet to beat. Very accurate and very terminal and hold together very well. I would agree that a shot under 250 would get the job done with proper placement. However, I would not go over that distance if I were not totally confident in my ability to make the shot. I shoot an 06 with 180sierras only.
I wouldn't stretch out an 06 past 300 with 180. But that is just me. A 180 in a .308 may be pushing the envelope in a .308. This is just my opinion and I may right on or way off.

Happy hunting and good luck,

Tony

I would go with a Nosler 180gr Accubond or 180gr Nosler Partition (either or), 40.8gr of IMR4895, CCI BR2 primers and see how that does for you. Max charge on that is supposed to be 41.5gr, but I have found that 40.8 works pretty well for me. I don't shoot many 180's though. Best of luck and have fun with it!

Elk tags in NV are few and far between. Unless you buy them from a landowner.
I know people who have been trying for 20 years to get a deer tag, with no success.

Your area must be near Ely?

Jack

First Elk are not really all that had to kill. Many are killed with a .257 Roberts and 120 grain bullet every year. I feel very comfortable with my .270 and 150 grain Sierra GameKing bullets. As you said shot placement is what it is all about.

That said I would use a good quality 165 grain bullet loaded to moderate velocity in your .308. In my opinion 180 grains are a little too heavy for the .308 but they certainly would work. You lose some distance but most shots on elk are 100 yards or so. I still like to be able to shoot flat and hit hard out to 200 yards or more. That is where the 165 or even 150 grain bullets shine in the .308

Trust me take a load book for the 165 grain Sierra GameKing with a good powder say IMR 4350 or 4831 and mathematically find the middle between "Start: load and "Max" load. It will be a safe load with plenty of punch.

You can tweak it up or down a bit to see if you get better accuracy but should be fine.

Example (and I am not looking at a load book these are made up numbers) Start load 42 grains. Max load 49.5 grains. THat is 7.5 grains spread so go 3.75 grains or 45.75 grains. For sure safe and should be a great load. Go down to 45.5 or up to 45.8, 45.9 or 46 grains and you should find something that will shoot and be plenty to kill Elk.

That method has works for me many times.

It will be to be difficult to get enough 4350 or 4831 in a 308 case to get good velocity. A medium speed powder such as the Varget and 4895 will work well. We shoot 175gr bullets in 308 for long range highpower matches. Getting velocities of 2550fps+ is not difficult with the medium powders.

Last edited:
Meh. Buddy and I dropped 2 cow elk out of the same herd, about 150 yards. He was using .270 and 130gr factory, I was shooting 30-06 and 180. His took 2 steps less than mine did
laugh.gif

They're not that hard to kill, through the vitals and down they go.

I've killed several elk with an '06 shooting a 165gr. Nosler Partition and 42.5 gr of IMR-4895. You won't more than likely stabilize a bullet heavier than a 180gr in a .308

I love all the good encouragment, but if you dont hit an elk good sometimes them buggers can produce more blood than there losing. If it was me I would go with the 165grain bullet behind some 4895. Good luck

That Hornady all copper bullet will do the trick. GMX I think. It will open up and stay together while traveling through the elk. My SPS in .308 shot them very well.

Tom

Excellent responses, folks!

I am concerned about stabilizing the 180 grn bullet. I have loaded some 168grn NBT and they shoot under MOA at 100yds, but I haven't tested farther - who knows they may open up horribly! I plan on waiting till September when the weather gets colder to get heavy into the development.

My concern with the 165 - 168's is "can they get the job done?" I don't want a wounded elk, nor a 3 mile hike with quartered elk on my back 3 times to pack out...

I have also read about the .270 being a suitable choice. But there is a moratorium on rifle purchases at this household
frown.gif
I was also thinking of using my friend's 7mm Mag.

The Barnes were on the list too, and in fact I have 1/2 box of 150grn TSXs on the loading bench. I'll try them out also.

Please - more suggestions or experiences!

I have killed over 20 elk over the years.. My caliber of choice is usually a 270 and a 130 Nosler partition..I have shot a few with a 7 Ultra mag/140 partitions.. If you make a solid double lung hit don't expect em to drop.. It takes a few minutes for em to lose enough blood to fall over.. If you want em on the ground you have to break a shoulder..

That said, I recommend an A-frame style bullet such as a Nosler partition. IMO 150 grains is plenty in a 308 for elk.

Your friends 7 mag would be a better choice..

Well if 165's are on the table I would go that route with 43.0 gr of IMR 4064 behind it. Thats one of my favorite loads for my rifle (old old old Sako).
I thought you were set on the 180gr. I have successfully shot Elk before with the 165gr Nosler partition with that charge behind it.

I've shot three elk with 150gr 308's and they were one-shot kills. Hit 'em in the vitals and they'll go down. Enjoy your hunt and stop worrying.

I shoot 165 gr. Nosler Partitions out of my .308 for elk.

I have used 180 gr. Partitions, but only when hunting heavy brush, because it really picks up a lot of drop at long range.

Elk may not be hard to kill with well-placed shots, but with bad shot placement they can travel a LONG way before they bleed out.

I think this load might be a decent starting point for you. They shoot well out of my H-K.

.308 Winchester
Bullet ----------------- Powder --------- Primer
165 gr. Nosler Partition 43.0 gr. IMR 4895 CCI LR
165 gr. Nosler Partition 45.0 gr. W748 CCI LR Mag.
180 gr. Nosler Partition 41.0 gr. IMR 4895 CCI LR

Oh, and congrats on the tag.
thumbup1.gif

Last edited:
heretic, I have shot elk with 180 nosler partions and have had good performance. for in the woods hunting 180 in the 308 are my number 1 choice. I would like to use 165's but could not get them to group in my 308 rem. I tried 200's in the 308 and they went through with out opening up. I have four one shot kills on elk with 150gr rem corlks in a 270win. In my opinon the 150gr nosler partion would be fine for elk in open terrain. my wife has shot a few elk with a 243 and 100gr nosler partion and has had good performance. a partion bullet in the rib cage of an elk is a recipe for for success although I caution not to use over 180 in a 308. the best powder I have found for the 308 is reloader 15. spike

I've killed a bunch of elk with my 270. For the last 18 years, I"ve used 130gr Barnes X,XLC or TSX bullets. Best big game bullets I've ever used.

I would suggest the 150gr Barnes TSX or T-TSX for your 308. Stick it in the right place and get ready to pack one out.

Back