Bad Economy Woes...

d2admin

Administrator
Just curious to know if anyone else is hurting as bad as me. My business has revolved around new construction for the last 7 years or so.
Today, the new construction market is WAAAAY dead.

OUCH! I am starting to get real hungry. Anyone else???

Locohead
Clinton really killed the economy. I could have lived quite comfortably for 10 years on what I have lost in the last 2 years.

My positive income never quite made it into the 6 figures area. But my negative income sure has.

Jack

Bush 43 really has been a boom to the economy I hope we never go back the dull economy of the 90's, I don't think anybody made any money then not like were makeing it now, right

Hey Howler, I'm in Spokane and we make an annual trip to Mt. every Memorial Day weekend. We unload on Richardson ground squirrels and prairie dogs. This past trip was not as good as past times cuz of the snow that fell 4 days before we left but was still awesome. We lit up thousands. Let's see Glascoe is way east isn't it? We go near Shelby, Mt.. A good bud has some property there and we have lots of land to shoot on. Lots of game around too. We saw whitetail, mule deer, porkies, coyote,eagles, hawks, badgers, jack rabbits, antelope,.. We use .22lr and .22mag. for the squirrels and center fire for the prairie dogs.
Tom
"IF YOU DON'T KILL FROM A STEADY AIM HARNESS, YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE MISSING"

Boy oh boy! I remember the lumber thread from a while back.

Did you know that a 1500 dollar increase in the total price of a house only adds another $52.00 to the payments on the average $150,000 home at 30 years and 9% interrest.

That is just a rough estimate but I got these figures from Lending Tree on their calculators :eek:

If a person can't afford $52.00 a month it is likely they wouldn't qualify for the loan to begin with...

Don't get me wrong but at 1500 dollars more total price you are only talking about a 3% increase overall in material costs. Now do you realize the insignifacant difference in price between the costs of the lumber??? Kinda puts it into perspective when you run the numbers.

Where the lumber that was coming out of Canada was doing the real harm and the most harm was at the other end at the harvesting level. By the time it got to the consumer it was not that big a difference in price per se. Greed plays a major role in that, as the middle man ( the wholeseller ) found a way to make more money from the item all the way across the board.

He brings it in for less, then jacks up the price and then he makes all the profit at the expense of others such as the person that is building the home and the one that is looking to buy the home. All the tarriffs did was take it out of his pocket and put it back where it belonged in the first place. In the pocket of the people that are doing the harvesting. Like me!!!!!!

Besides that same person that is looking at a new house wouldn't qualify for a used home at the same price range so where do you lay the blame for that? It sure doesn't have to do with the cost of the lumber that it was built with.

I would suggest that you look elsewhere for your falling new home starts. Such as stock market woes and maybe even the trigger that started a lot of it, 9/11????. The economy was slowing down before that but that tradgedy pretty well made it take a nosedive. When people lose that kind of money it puts a big damper on the whole nation...

If one wants to blame something, I would suggest the outrageous percentage rates on a home. That is where the gotcha is at. I don't begrudge any one a living but having to pay 430,000 dollars for a 150,000 home is simply highway robbery. Is it not? That adds up to around 280,00 dollars in interrest. :eek: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Maybe we should be looking at new ways to do business in that area?
But as long as people are willing to pay it, it will stay that way.

I ain't ragging on ya hard (yet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ) but the media once again focused our attention on one subject and we don't look for the other underlying causes for all the turmoil. If you look at the whole economy you will find that it is bad everywhere not just in house sales.

This is of course just my opinion and usually it doesn't matter squat. But I ask you to look at this situation from all sides not just from the fact that it is raising the price a measely 1500 dollars...... James L.

Disclaimer: don't take this personal because it isn't!

Back