Talk about expanding your kill zone!

I help track deer for people all the time. One of my buddies has a blood dog and we track deer for people all hunting season, and guess which broadheads are the result of many of these track jobs and the ones that keeps my buddy in the tracking business? Mechanical broadheads! Common sense should tell people that a fixed blade broadhead will have the cutting diameter they are supposed to have no matter how bad the shot is made. Yes, you have to hit the deer, that is common sense also. But with a fixed blade broadhead, you never have to worry if whether or not your blades are deployed. I dont care how a broadhead performs on a perfectly placed shot, I want a broadhead that will still stand a good chance of killing a deer if a bad shot is made.

They failed to fully open. And we tracked them a loooooong way. On a shot where a fixed blade would have them piled up within 60'yards. I like gadgets, just not on the end of my arrow. Lol

I shoot both fixed and mech .
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Mark2Tim why do you feel the need to shoot both.

I've shot mech for years and had good luck with them. Tried STs not long ago and like them too. I like a big hole cutting mech for tree stand hunting. Spot-n-stalk style, fixed get the nod .

They both shoot same POI,so why shoot both ?.....because I can.
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: furmasterExpandables are band-aids for guys that cant shoot fixed.

We used to say that back in the 90's when I worked at an archery shop. We would sell anything the customer wanted, but if asked to recommend, usually Muzzies, or other fixed broad-heads got the nod.

Problem was that most people didn't tune their bows well enough, or their form (shooting abilities) was lacking.

Many times the shooter thought they made good shots but in reality, didn't. Not too different from coyote hunters and bullet placement.

The technology today is amazing. I remember getting my first compound bow back in the 70's, I think it was a Bear white-tail, then traded it off later for the "Faster" Bear Polar two. Deer back then didn't know they couldn't be killed with a bow shooting under 230 FPS...
smile.gif

When I got my first Mathew's, a Feathermax, (which I still feel is one of the best bows) it was like stepping into another world. Being able to shoot 300+ ,and nice and light, it was like a gift from heaven.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Im sorry, I guess I made a large generalization on that one. Im sure there are other reasons to shoot exp's. I just cant think of a good one.

I considered the Rage 2 blade the last couple of years, but I still have a good many Crimson Talon fixed 100's that just devastate deer. They are a pain to tune and aren't practice friendly, but man they put a hurtin' on the flesh. My buddy watched me shoot one from a high stand and liver punch it. A huge doe, went about 15yds in a circle and dropped where I originally hit her. The internals looked like they were hit with a fast shooting rifle, pieces everywhere. I've shot through spines, shoulders, ribs, long quartering shots, all exited with a mild shooting 250fps 65lb bow. I did shoot Grim Reapers before these as well as Muzzy fixed 4 blades, Wasp Jackhammers, and Spitfires. While the mechanicals are a lot easier to tune and practice, the Muzzy 90gr. 4 blade and Crimson Talons have been my favorite by far for performance on deer.

I try to stay out of these pi$$ing matches. But one common thing I have notice guys saying here blaming Rage head for not finding the deer. "If the shots were with fixed blade heads, the deer would have been dead, or dead in XX yards." HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN THE CASE??? How do you know that in that situation, a fixed head would have performed better that the mechanical?? I have seen bad shots end with success with both styles and great shots go bad with both.
Point is, everyone has a prefference. To each his own. Nothing is a replacement of spending time on the range and knowing how your equipment. This topic is just like was mentioned. ARs vs.Bolts. Hand calls vs. Electronics.....

I agree with you dusty. I personally don't much care for mechanical heads...have seen too many fail for my taste. However just like dusty said...each situation is different. No matter what shot placement still remains king in this argument...

I never tried a Mechanical
Ive always used muzys and then 5 year ago switch to Crimson talons
MAN the talons rip apart things

i drilled a coyote at 14 yards dead in the shoulder Punched through and looked like a blender went through that shoulder
and also Stuck a yote Head on chest shot at 19 yards it hit dead center chest and ripped through until the arrow was protruding out his hindside almost perfect shishcabob
It also looked like a blender blade went through him
I swaer by the but switched over to recurve and magnus 2 blade 2 years ago
I just bought a compound though and am going to pick up some more of the Talons!!
Also with the talons My bow was shooting at 340 FPS so it may have some more dramatic effect going faster
I wont rule out the Rages yet though If i find a good deal I may switch over

I shot the Rage 2 blade for the first time last year, and I was a Loyal G-5 Montec user. I was blown away, I sis not have to change a thing, not a thing. The impact of that Rage 2 blade is shocking and unreal. The Cut is amazing, the kinetic energy carried it right through a big 7 point I shot last year, along with 2 doe's I shot. I shoot a Hoyt, 65lbs and draw length at 27.5. it worked great for me, i am a believer in this broadhead. And it come with a practice tip as well.

I felt kinda like that, and I had a really bad experience shooting and expandable. Went back to the G-5 Montec, killed a lot a deer with them. Got tired of the Difficulty in keeping them sharp, so I went to the Rage 2 Blade last year, and I love it!! All the hype it right, I am a believer!!

Back