New to loading

coondawg

I am looking at geting a RCBS rock chucker superme single stage press kit. is this a goodkit and what else do i need to get started. I know i need a good reloading manual. I whant to be safe! i have been reading here a lot and seems to be a good place to get good info.

That should be a fine press kit, not sure what all the kit includes, but of course you will need dies, dial calipers (if not included in the kit), bullets, powder and primers.
Start reading in the `help new reloaders thread`,there you will find many good safety practices.

you will also need a case trimmer, brass tumbler and separator, digital calipers. theres lots of stuff but youll figure that out once you get started

coondawg, you are thinking correctly by wanting to start with the RCBS kit! I haven't been doing it for more than about five months now, and started with the same kit. While it's an excellent kit to get your feet wet with, I just want to give you a warning that if you're going to be anything like me, you will be spending money on other items once you get going and start to realize your needs! Since then, I have purchased several dies for multiple calibers, I have added a lathe style case trimmer(you will eventually need a way to trim your brass), I have purchased a case tumbler, I also felt like I was spending to much time fooling with a beam scale so I have added an electronic scale to hopefully speed up the process some, I have added a micrometer adjusting handle for the powder measure, purchased several loading manuals, added loading trays, bought a digital caliper, added a powder trickler, and have bought several different types of powder/primers/bullets for doing load development! I guess my point is, be prepared to spend some money along with your original kit purchase! I hope I don't discourage you because I'm having a blast with it, and hopefully once I get all my tools I need, they will last a lifetime and will be money well invested! I always figured that if I can afford to, I try to buy the best possible equipment and that way if I end up going a different direction or lose interest, I can hopefully get my money back out of it! Look around and you will see that the good equipment does a good job of holding its value!

Ricky is correct on all points I believe. I usually tell people if they are getting into reloading to save money they will have to shoot quite a bit of ammo to see much savings.... but if you are doing it as a hobby that you feel you will enjoy then by all means do it.
A good bit of my equipment is nearly 35 years old and is still as good as new.

That kit will do you well. I have never heard of anyone wearing out a rockchucker.
Get ready to be buying bits and pieces for the rest of your life though, thats one thing about reloading you will come to realize fast.
I have been reloading since I was 13 and honestly enjoy it almost as much as shooting. Great hobby and you will end up saving some money over the long term. Even if you just think of it this way...you get the best components loaded in your ammo, its loaded the way you like it and it still only costs a fraction of what you would pay for a box of top shelf ammo. Its going to take you a while to defray the cost of getting set up, but it will be good in the long run.

Originally Posted By: coondawgI am looking at getting a RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme single stage press kit. Is this a good kit and what else do I need to get started. I know I need a good reloading manual. I want to be safe! I have been reading here a lot and seems to be a good place to get good info.

I would strongly advise against getting the Rock Chucker Supreme kit for the following reasons.

1 - When people hear the name "Rock Chucker", they think of the famous heavy duty, compound leverage loading press that has been the mainstay of reloading for some 50 years - a BEAST of the industry.

The new Rock Chucker Supreme is a small, whimpy press that has NOTHING in common with the original Rock Chucker, except the name... it is NOT a Rock Chucker!

I would STRONGLY recommend that you get a used "real" Rock Chucker press on eBay, or get a different brand, like a Redding press.

2 - When you get a kit, you get stuff that may not be good for your use - in other words, you get what THEY want you to get.

Don't get the kit.

Buy a used Rock Chucker, and then get the individual items that you need.

Or get a Redding kit.

Meow.

The RCBS Supreme loading kit does have the heavy duty RC press. It has the same leverage system as my old old RC press other than you have a choice of two handle positions and mine does not have that feature.

IMHO to get started the only thing else you will need is a Case trimmer and a good set of Calipers and dies for your caliber besides the kit.

As far as wearing out a RC press I have had one for over 40 years and it is as tight as it ever was. I just use some good lube in the right places to keep it running smooth.

Buy the kit.

DAB

When I started out reloading 3 years ago, I went as cheap as possible and bought the Lee Classic press kit.I had no idea then just how much I would enjoy reloading, nor how bad the Accuracy Bug would get me. If I were to start over, I would pony up the cash for a Forster CoAx press. I have not used this press but it has been highly recommended by a Moderator here and looking at it from a mechanical stand point it appears it would have a most straight up and down (true)pressing action. I used a friends RCBS 505 scale for my first 50 rnds so I know it is MUCH better than my Lee.As far as what brand of dies to use, I`m not sure..but will say my Lee dies have produced some accurate rounds.
Anyhow I guess just go for it! Get what you can afford. I think someday my Lee press will get primarily used for knock`n primers out.

i would suggest getting rcbs dies because they work great and their customer service is amazing. as for lee dies they do not come with a set screw in the nut so you have to adjust the die every time you load rather than having it set like in the rcbs dies. just much easier with the rcbs dies

Thanks for all the info. You all have been alot of help. been reading help new reloaders therad. I see i have a lot to learn and relly want to be safe relly like my hands and eyes or worse! hopa to get started in a few weeks.Will be looking on here for more advice. Thanks again

I have a friend who bought a used Rock Chucker and a part broke on it. He contacted RCBS and they replaced the part for free. I have been using a Rock Chucker and RCBS dies for over 25 years. I think you will be please with RCBS. I agree with catshooter. Pick the extras up as you need them.

Originally Posted By: DABThe RCBS Supreme loading kit does have the heavy duty RC press. DAB

Sorry, but it does NOT - I own a 6 year old Rock Chucker, and I pass a new Supreme at work every morning. They are NOT the same press.

Meow!

Last edited:
I think the RCBS kit would be a good way to go. All you would need after that would be a case trimmer, case tumbler and a good stainless steel calipers (they don't have to cost a lot).

Maybe a few more reloading manuals and your ready to go.

For right now forget all the labor saving power tools out there. There's pleanty of time to get them later as funds permit.

Last edited:
I looked at my old Rock Chucker (late 80's or early 90's vintage) and there are some differences to the pictures of the new one, but it looks like it would get the job done just fine. Buy the kit, a cheap case trimmer, I had reloaded for probably 10 years before I ever bought a tumbler, but they are nice to have. learn how to reload and replace what YOU think that you would like to upgrade later.. There is a reason that alot of us have 4 or more presses, it gets addictive and you learn as you go and upgrade accordingly. But first you have to start.

what about a lee kit i know it is not as good as a Rock chucker but it is $200 cheaper. Could buy another press later. Would this do for a start then add to it as i go. this would give me money for dies, case trimmer,calipers,ect... landscaping work is slow wright now so money is tight.

If money is tight, get the lee kit, It would serve you fine especially if you are just starting out. Upgrade later when and If you decide you need to. A press is a fairly simple design with a simple purpose it isn't rocket science it is a up and down with leverage. Quality may be an issue, but again upgrade when and if you decide. The lee kit I think comes with their hand priming tool, which I personally don't care for, but some people love them. Then again it is just to get you started and you can replace later.

The Lee kit is a fine place to start. It will produce good loads reliably. If in fact you decide on the Lee kit, understand that you will more likely than not upgrade to other equipment. I think that mostly it is a matter of vanity rather than need when moving away from the Lee equipment. Unless you are re-forming brass, using small base dies often or loading cases the size of .375 H&H, the simple Lee press is generally fine. A stronger/heavier press is also necessary to gain the ultimate in accuracy rounds.

With the RCBS equipment, you may never feel the need to upgrade the press, only add to your accessories. A case cleaner (tumble or vibratory), caliper, case trimmer, and several (many) reloading manuals are other additions I find to be absolutely necessary.

Back