-------SHORTED by Hornady!?!?!---------

Status
Not open for further replies.

blopez50

I loaded 2 100 round boxes of 223 tonight.

I used 60gr vmax. (100rd boxes)... HOWEVER, each of the boxes only had 99 bullets in it...

Anyone else ever run into this? Idk if 2 bullets is worth contacting hornady but it was just a minor frustration.

Last edited:
I'd contact Hornady about the issue. You paid for the bullets and I'd expect getting 100, not 99. I'd be PO'ed if I was missing 2 bullets.

I've had it happen occasionally with the 40g vmax being off by 1 here and there, had it happen with rem and win brass. Sometimes you get lucky and get 1 over.

I"m no to sure if theyd do much for 1 bullet. Raise hel and tell em to fix it or you wont buy or recomend there product anymore if it bothers you that much.

I'm personally not to happy with Hornady myself right now either for a little QC problem and them not taking care of it the way they said they were going to...

Probably some beancounter came up with the idea. Imagine the effect on their bottom line if every box they sold for a year was one bullet short!

LOL.
unloaded

I have never seen this. I did have a 6mm V-Max in a box of
50 gr. .223 V-Max bullets. It still is sitting on a shelf
over my loading bench.

I like Starline's approach. I ordered 500 pieces of 10mm Auto
brass from them and I had 3 or 4 extra cases in the bag. Good
on Starline.

Squeeze

Look at the bright side. They saved you 2 primers and probably 50 grains of powder. Not really worth getting upset over 2 bullets. When you do get an extra cartridge in a bag or an extra bullet in a box, do you send it back?

i load in lots of 100 starting with new brass, at least on my bigger calibers. when i am short 1 bullet it means that i have 1 oddball primer, and one case that is not of the same uses as the rest. probably doesnt really matter much, but i like loading in nice even lots.

I've had it happen twice the first time was with speer trophy bonded bullets got 49 bullets and a jacket in the box called speer they ask for the box and the jacket back got a full box of bullets and a bunch of stickers from them the next week.

Second time it was sierra I called them and told them that I got shorted two bullets and they sent me a little bag with 10 bullets in it.

I've got 101 or 102 bullets more time then I can count.

Would you call them up and tell them you were sending 2 projectiles to them if they were 1 over on each box?

If it is the first time then let it go. If it happens all of the time then contact them.

Hard to say what happened. It would be Hornady's interest if you let them know. Could be operator failer to follow instructions I really don't think a company built with that reputation would diliberatly short the count to make money. That always goes back and nobody will want to do business with that company.
Do them a favor and do yourself a favor also. If it didn't bother you, you would not have raised the issue here.

Originally Posted By: 6724i load in lots of 100 starting with new brass, at least on my bigger calibers. when i am short 1 bullet it means that i have 1 oddball primer, and one case that is not of the same uses as the rest. probably doesnt really matter much, but i like loading in nice even lots.

Just shoot a 4 shot group instead of 5 and it'll all even out.
laugh.gif

I would not be a big deal for me. I like Hornady brass, bullets, and ammo but never count the bullets or brass. I don't load with any kind of even lots or anything so I wouldn't know if I have been shorted or given an extra here and there. I lose brass when I am firing my AR in field situations but don't worry about it too much.

But I am confident Hornady will take your word for it and replace/reward you somehow.

Didn't Sierra in the old days use to put 101 bullets in every box? Seems like I remember that from my foggy past. I have been reloading since 1965 so I don't fret the small stuff too much. TTT

Actually I have some old stock Sierra from the Santa Fe Springs, CA Sierra address-I will open a box and count them.

Originally Posted By: TnTnTnI would not be a big deal for me. I like Hornady brass, bullets, and ammo but never count the bullets or brass. I don't load with any kind of even lots or anything so I wouldn't know if I have been shorted or given an extra here and there. I lose brass when I am firing my AR in field situations but don't worry about it too much.

But I am confident Hornady will take your word for it and replace/reward you somehow.

Didn't Sierra in the old days use to put 101 bullets in every box? Seems like I remember that from my foggy past. I have been reloading since 1965 so I don't fret the small stuff too much. TTT

Actually I have some old stock Sierra from the Santa Fe Springs, CA Sierra address-I will open a box and count them.

I knew one of the bullet companies used to put 101 in the box. Somewhere I have an old loading box that has bunches of single bullets left over from when I was really concerned about having perfect batches in multiples that worked out to 100.

Seems like a pretty harsh post considering you haven't even contacted them about this yet.

This is the same company that donated 3000 rounds of the new .223 Superformance ammunition for all of our members that attended our annual hunt & convention to shoot.

Pretty darn good company & sponsor in my book.

I dont think I was harsh at all! They'd have to be pretty thin skinned to get upset over that post!

Every bit of my reloading set up is hornady, all I shoot is hornady bullets (223 & 308). When I run out of these, Ill buy vmax again. Im a very faithful hornady customer and will continue to be. It just struck me as odd and I figured id post and see if I was alone.

If youre mass producing anything at quantities they are, youre gonna have a few mistakes here and there!

Edit: In retrospect, maybe "screwed" wasnt the right word but I through that one around pretty loosely!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back