NEW Shotgun Pattern Test Results - Detail & Pic' heavy...

I never have before. My primary guns aren't bad at all in that department, but I've had some in the past that were pretty tough. A good trigger job would certainly have helped them.

I don't need a trigger job, but I certainly need a decoy dog like JCnR has.
35644.jpg

If I owned THAT dog, I would be the motor scooter of coyote callers.

Just got a new Rem. 870 12ga.SM w/Sureshot stock and 23" barrel. So far I have the extra full that came with it meas. at .684,a Jellyhead meas. at .663,a Rem.Ventilator meas. at .653 and on the way a Mad Max 2 non ported .660. I'll be going to the range when the temps rise abit been in the 30's here. I will be shooting Rem. 3" HD BB's and #4 buck. I would some thoughts on the BB's/.663 Jellyhead. Is that pushing it abit too tight? I think I need to look for a .670.I think the Rem. Superfull is in that range.

Redcloud,
The "ideal" beginning constriction for your particular bore would most likely be about .675" for your gun. But remember, you just can't tell until you get them on paper and actually see what is happening when you pull the trigger. My .675" suggestion should be a good starting point to work from and might just work out well from the get go. If I were to err, it'd be on the larger side of things, toward .680" rather than tighter.

Thank you GC I was kinda hopeing you would see my post. Your right on w/what I thought. I need to find a good choke in .67+ range.Going to try that .684 w/#4 buck probably could go abit tighter than that.

Shotgun is Mossberg 835 with Primos Jellyhead Choketube. Distance 40yds.

First Up...
Federal Premium 3 1/2 2oz. # 5
Federal5.jpg

Winchester Supreme 3 1/2 2oz #5
Winchesters5.jpg

Remington Nitro Turkey 3 1/2 2oz #5's
NitroTurkey.jpg

Lastly...
Fiocchi 3 1/2, 2 3/8oz, #4
Fiocchi4.jpg

Last edited:

I got a new Benelli M2 this week here are some results (sorry no pic's).

All shots taken with a IC .665 black diamond at 40yrds.

Winchester Supreme #5.....97 hits in a 10" circle

Hevi-Shot Premier HV Magnum 1 1/2oz #5....79 in 10"

Hevi-Shot 13 2oz #6.....144 in 10"

I feel like the more I shoot the new M2 the better my patterns will get. So far I really like it. First auto shotgun I've owned.

Thanks

With all this patterning going on, has anyone compared the length of barrels on the same models?

I understand that you have to find the right choke and load combo.

I like the length (feel) of a 20” barrel, but I’ve always used a 26 plus length barrel.

Did you find it much easier to get a tighter pattern with a 24-28” barrel out to 40-50 yards?

Anyway, I need a new 12 ga for squirrel, turkey, coyote and deer (heavy wooded area) and just wondering how much of a difference there would be in a 20” verse 24” and above.

Maybe it’s covered and I just missed it.

The differences in individual barrels and chokes can be enough to cover any differences that barrel length might make. I have 18 ½”, 24”, and 26” barrels for my two different Benelli M1S90’s. By a change of choke or load I can make the results completely different and skew them how ever I’d like. As a very loose general rule, the longer barrels “might” pattern slightly better overall after comparing the results of shooting dozens of loads and patterns.

GC,

Thanks for posting the results of your findings and replying to me and everyone else.

Of coarse, thanks to all the great members of this website.

I ended up buying a Super Nova and it's time for me to start patterning as well.

Thanks again everyone!

Nuttin' to it, this is interesting stuff to me and I learn a lot by listening to others tell their experiences. Sometimes somebody says something that causes me to go back to the range and try something different, ect. and you can always learn something each trip if you're willing.

I got to shoot my new 870 SM 23" yesterday and would like some comments on the results(no pics). All shots @ 32yds. as thats all I can get at our club range and shot counts are inside a 10" dia. circle drawn at the apperant center of pattern.

Rem.3" HD,BB Rem.Super Full .673 - 29 hits
Rem.3" HD,BB Jelly Head .663 - 18 hits
Rem.3' #4 buck(lead)SuperFull .673 - 13 hits
I have a Rem. extra full that is .684 that I didn't try(yet)but probably should. Also have a Mad Max 2 .663 but I think its likely too tight.

In response to your pm. Those are killing patterns at 32 yards, but likely too thin for more than 40 yards - at most.

Here is a new lesson that I learned recently. Hevi-shot T's tend to strike high on my targets at 40 yards, while Remington HD BB's and Federal lead BB's tend to strike low. With MY shotgun, it is going to be important to choose exactly which load I am going to use for coyotes and stick with it like epoxy glue. A frustrating but very interesting lesson was learned by this old man. I have quite a lot of Hevi-shot T's on hand at this time, and it shoots very dense patterns so I will set up my bead system for that load right now. I may go back to lead #4 BUCK later on because it shoots very dense patterns also.

Originally Posted By: GCIn response to your pm. Those are killing patterns at 32 yards, but likely too thin for more than 40 yards - at most.
Do you think .658 is toooo tight for HD BB?

Originally Posted By: RedcloudOriginally Posted By: GCIn response to your pm. Those are killing patterns at 32 yards, but likely too thin for more than 40 yards - at most.
Do you think .658 is toooo tight for HD BB?

Yes, very much so.

Originally Posted By: Rich CronkHere is a new lesson that I learned recently. Hevi-shot T's tend to strike high on my targets at 40 yards, while Remington HD BB's and Federal lead BB's tend to strike low. With MY shotgun, it is going to be important to choose exactly which load I am going to use for coyotes and stick with it like epoxy glue. A frustrating but very interesting lesson was learned by this old man. I have quite a lot of Hevi-shot T's on hand at this time, and it shoots very dense patterns so I will set up my bead system for that load right now. I may go back to lead #4 BUCK later on because it shoots very dense patterns also.

Rich,
It is interesting isn't it. I recently patterned some new Hevi-Shot Mag Blend turkey loads and they shot about 8" low from my camo M1. Since they didn't boost my numbers any more than my usual Hevi 13 3-2-6 load and the H13/3-2-6 shoots perfectly to point of aim it is an easy choice which one to hunt with. The all black Tactical M1 with the short 18 1/2" barrel shoots about 4" high all the time. Since the posted testing I've acquired a 26" barrel for the Tac M1 and it shoots perfectly to the bead with a flat 50/50 pattern. The camo M1 shoots a 60/40 pattern on the bead. Point being that if we don't pattern we don't know these things and mistakes will be made in the field that will loose animals and worse probably wound them also. It is a lesson I think is slowly taking root with shotgunners.

Originally Posted By: RedcloudI got to shoot my new 870 SM 23" yesterday and would like some comments on the results(no pics). All shots @ 32yds. as thats all I can get at our club range and shot counts are inside a 10" dia. circle drawn at the apperant center of pattern.

Rem.3" HD,BB Rem.Super Full .673 - 29 hits
Rem.3" HD,BB Jelly Head .663 - 18 hits
Rem.3' #4 buck(lead)SuperFull .673 - 13 hits
I have a Rem. extra full that is .684 that I didn't try(yet)but probably should. Also have a Mad Max 2 .663 but I think its likely too tight.
Went to the range again today with my Rem. Extra Full .684 and put up only slightly better #'s.
Rem.3" HD,BB 36 hits
Rem.3" #4 buck 16 hits
Well my chokes are all used up so I'm going to order one from Kicks or Pure Gold so they can work with me on getting the best pattern.At 32yds what kind of numbers should I be looking for?

Back