17 hmr?

mtngroan

So I went gopher shootin with a friend who has a 17 hmr ruger 17/77, shortened to 16" with a can, and that thing flat shoots and blows them up! I've shot it lots of times before but now I am really wanting one. Is ruger the best one or what do you guys like? Please be specific in your reply, not just the company but the model and why you like it! Thanks!

I've got a marlin 917v. I get 1in groups at 100. On a calm day I can consistently shoot clay pigeons at 200 yards. Only thing I don't like about it is the trigger.

It seems most models shoot well, so I dont think that you can go wrong with any one model.

I own a Marlin 917 (now called the XT-17) and really enjoy shooting it. The rifle has a thumbhole stock which makes for an awkward carry rifle, but it is great for comfortable prone shots as well as shots from the bench. My only complaint with the rifle is that the trigger sucked, and I ended up putting a Rifle Basix trigger in it. Now the trigger pull is set to 19 oz, and it shoots great. The new Marlins have what appears to be a rip-off of the Savage Accutrigger, so I dont know how that one stacks up to a Savage trigger.

The image below is almost exactly what I own, except mine has a fluted barrel.

MFCXT-17VSLB-70743-lg.jpg

I put a BSA Sweet .17 scope on it, and it works pretty well. However I wish that someone like Leupold, Zeiss, Nikon, or other quality optics manufacturer would make a .17 HMR scope.

If I did it all over again, I would have bought a Savage though. They really had a better trigger than the Marlin, but this new trigger might be the ticket for Marlin now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the Marlin 917V & it would put them under 1" @ 100 yds with the 17vmax load, no wind of course. The marlin trigger is nothing exciting and savage has a better one, cant say about the new ones though.

i have savage model 93r17 w bushnell 3x9 and accutrigger and havent lightened any dont need too. my wife is new to shooting and she can hit quarter at 125yds if its calm of course. love that lil gun. never shot the ruger so i cant say which is better.

Savage 9317FV very accurate and with a little tuning you can make the accutrigger even better then any after market availble for the other rifles.

Having 2 77/17s and 1 453 Varmint, I will say they both shoot but the CZ seems to shoot better with a wider variety of ammo.

We were plugging PDs with them last year in a small down and it was amazing how easy it is to point and shoot and the terminal damage on the other end of that 17gr pill.

I have 3
One Savage,93 Laminated thumb hole stock heavy SS barrel. Best shooter of the three.
One Savage 93 Syn. stock sporter barrel shoot OK.

one CZ 452 2E 17 HMR shoot very well. (17 OZ trigger -- the heaviest it will go.)

Savage would be my choice if money was a factor.

DAB

I have had 2 rifles, both were Ruger 77/17 heavy stainless with blk/grey laminate stocks. Both were good shooters until about 5 or 6 shots, then the groups opened up considerably. Their both at someone else's house now.Went back to 22 mag in the same gun and love it. Seems like you can shoot the 22's forever without cleaning, and the groups are still good.

I had a 17 HMR , bought it when they first came out... I sold mine this year and bought a 22 WMR.. First, the ammo was supposed to get cheaper, didn't.. Second, the new 22 WMR ammo with 30 grain bullets shoots right with a 17 and has much more knock down power.. Third, my 17 wasn't as accurate as advertised, it was ok, but that was about it.. A 17 is marginal at best on anything bigger than p-dawgs.. And finally the wind seemed to play he11 with it..

two Marlins here, the plain jane blue version, and the stainless laminated version. Both shoot excellent, triggers are horrible, put rifle basix in em and love em. I also have a few buddies who shoot the marlins, all seem to shoot great.

My .17 Hummer is a mostly stock Ruger 77 with a match grade Volquartsen barrel on it. Other than the barrel and trigger job it is factory. Ground squirrels (on a calm day) are in grave danger out to 200 yards or so, but will admit to liking to keeping distances less than 150 yards if I can help it. Prairie dogs are no trouble for this little cutie either, but if they are past 150 yards would rather use a centerfire. Little .17 sure will kill them dead though!

Back