yyTurkey Season

I have a call on all of my backpacks. I hardly ever go in the woods without a call on me.
thumbup1.gif

this turkey season i have seen more coyotes and coyote tracks and scat then i have when coyote hunting in general. i was walking down a trail well....up a trail to get to a flat ridge field when a coyote came running around the corner, we both spotted eachother at the same time and he turned on the brakes and was gone just as fast.
Then i drove out to bird road at one of my other turkey/coyote calling spots in a rolling field of pastures and a coyote ran in front of my car and coninued to haul until he hit the tree line.

my diaphragm mouth calls i use to call turkey can also produce some death cries.

If you have a diaphragm turkey call with you - you have a ready to use predator call. Or, you could just bring along the Hunter Specialties Squealing Hen... lol. No matter to me anyway, predators are not in season here in Missouri during the spring turkey season. I had a coyote come in Tuesday morning to about 65 yards until he hit the wind and he bugged out. I couldn't shoot him anyway, but I do like observing them every chance I get.

Never heard of squealing hen . Do hens really squeal? I thought about taking a couple rubber rabbits with me and the kettle creek little pecker. Coyote season is year here in WV. Figured if the Gobblers get stubborn give me a reason to stay in the woods longer .

Last edited:
i guess they squeal, i have never heard one squeal. they say a hen lets this cry out when she is being crushed by the tom during mating. Its pretty much a hen in distress call.

I don't know, on three occasions I've watched turkeys mate at distances less then ten yds, never heard a peep from the hens. Either it's a gimmick or the hens I've watched had some experience under their wings
wink.gif
. Anybody with experience raising birds would be able to clarify this one. I'm guessing it's a gimmick.

I ve watched a tom mate with hens a couple of times but never heard a squeal. May make a good predator call I suppose.

I tossed that out there as a joke... The HS Squealing Hen is a pretty big joke on all the dedicated turkey hunting boards. Sorta like the HS Acorn Kruncher deer call. I guess HS subscribes to PT Barnum's theory...
frown.gif

Back