Barnes TSX/TTSX or Berger VLD

yotehunter243

I know these two bullets are totally different. One made to penetrate 2-3 inchs then expand into shrapnel and destroy the insides. The other to have very controlled expanson and penetrate deep into the chest possibly complete pass thru.
WHich of these bullets would you rather shoot at Caribou sized game and bigger? After watching Best of The West hunting with them using the VLDs I was very impressed with the results at long ranges on elk and bear. On the other side of things i have always thought that you wanted deeper penetration with a bullet that stayed together. The reason i am asking my Father and I are heading to alaska in August. I cant decide on what bullets i havent to load for both of us

I'd go with the Barnes. Those long range kills are impressive but there's a lot more that goes into it besides the bullet. If you're setup is geared for long range and you can practice a lot before you go the VLD might be for you. All the caribou hunts I've seen on TV have been pretty close ranges. They usually get in front of the herd and let them stream by while they pick out a shooter. The tougher bullets would be nice if one of the predators up there come near you.

peace.
unloaded

I have shot tsx for a couple of seasons for deer and antelope and would not recommend them.Tsx act like a full metal jacket small hole in small hole out,I will be shooting berger vld next season.

Barnes. I've shot a lot of deer with the tsx and have loaded ammo with them for others for game up to elk and have nothing but success stories from 50 to 500 yards. They've always expanded well for me, even the 400 yard shot from a friends 7mm mag the recovered bullet was textbook.

ive shot all of them and i wouldnt spend the extra money on them just get a decent bonded bullet. last year i shot my cow elk with a 162gr amax and she wend 30 yrds and died. my buddy shot his 4 times with barnes and didnt put her down till he hit her in the front shoulder then still had to head shot her when we got to her and she was trying to get up. i shoot a 7 mm mag his was a 300 win mag both at close enough to 400 yrds in springerville az. unless your in a lead free unit dont bother. i went back to buyin the hornady interlocks or nosler interbond

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jlh321I have shot tsx for a couple of seasons for deer and antelope and would not recommend them.Tsx act like a full metal jacket small hole in small hole out,I will be shooting berger vld next season.

Interesting.....

I've never had a problem with any Barnes on any animal.

Bullets kill by hydrostatic shock and tissue damage,barnes does NOT do either very well.Barnes are designed to stay together and penetrate deeply, so they will punch small holes in and out without transfering the energy to the animal.I have killed more than 10 big game animals with tsx the only one that was DRT was an antelope that was shot at a sharp quarting towards me the bullet went in the front of the shoulder and came out the opposite side rear quarter about the size of a dime.The other animals took multiple shots to put down( I keep shooting until animal is on the ground).
I compare the tsx to shooting an animal with a field tip on an arrow it will kill them but it is not the best choice.
Unless every shot you take is going to be a texas heart shot dont use them.

"DRT" has MORE to do with shot placement than bullet itself.
Not all but, MOST big game animals will run when shot in the lungs/heart area. Want "DRT",then shoot high shoulder.

Just because an animal is running,does not mean it's not dead.

Barnes expand and penetrate. Just what a bullet is made to do on big animals.

Originally Posted By: jlh321 .I have killed more than 10 big game animals with tsx the only one that was DRT was an antelope that was shot at a sharp quarting towards me the bullet went in the front of the shoulder and came out the opposite side rear quarter about the size of a dime.

Are you using your 240 Weatherby? Shooting an animal full length and getting a "dime" size exit is pretty good no matter what bullet/cal your using.
cool.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: yotehunter243

After watching Best of The West hunting with them using the VLDs I was very impressed with the results at long ranges on elk and bear.

Keep in mind that on this show, they only show the "GOOD" results. No diff than watching a fishing show. Catching 10-20 bass in a 20 min span is not good fishing,it's called editing!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOriginally Posted By: yotehunter243

After watching Best of The West hunting with them using the VLDs I was very impressed with the results at long ranges on elk and bear.

Keep in mind that on this show, they only show the "GOOD" results. No diff than watching a fishing show. Catching 10-20 bass in a 20 min span is not good fishing,it's called editing!
wink.gif

Very good point to keep in mind on any hunting equipment decision.

Oh i know how the videoing works i have done waterfowl videos with Mojo and Dakota decoys for the last 3 years and you bet your @$$ we dont show half the stuff that goes on. I have always wanted to shoot a bullet that releases all its energy into the animal. The more i read about the Barnes the more i have trouble rapping my mind around them releasing any energy.

Originally Posted By: yotehunter243 I have always wanted to shoot a bullet that releases all its energy into the animal.

Why ????
Varmints and preds I can see it, but big game ? I'll take 2 holes over 1 anytime . Say you shot a deer/bou in the shoulder and it does not go down, no exit make tracking way tuffer. Even worse gut shot angleing forward no exit. Fat plugs the hole and the blood trail if any is MIA. Again tracking not easy.

BTW.....

I killed 2 'bou in Canada a few years back. 243win 95gr NBT ,got exits on both and bumped them in their tracks. They anit that tuff ! Now the big bears......

Back