makes me mad

Cramer

in the middle of my first build and I've already shot my front takedown pin detent into outter space......sucks.

I think about every AR owner has been there. It does suck and you can't just go down to Wal-Mart and get one. I've scrubbed my livingroom carpet more than once with an earth magnet trying to find those darned things.

I'm still working on mine. I was looking at the instructional youtube videos and those guys don't have near the trouble that we are having. When they drop the spring in it sits flush. Then it is nothing to push the detent down flush. Either our springs are too long or way too stiff. Something is up

Stand it up,,lay the takedown pin across the razor blade,,smash it down,,start the pin with your thumb,slowly slip the razor blade out,,,,,must have equal downward pressure x2 places to keep the blade from bending.

P.S ,,,dull the razor blade before,,to be safe.

X

LOL piece of cake huh?,,,i still to this day have no idea why some trigger roll pins,,,,need pounding to the point of nearly breakin stuff.

X

Good news and bad news!

Good news: It is 2:30 am and I have just finished putting together my first AR. 20 inch standard kit from Model 1 Sales. Upgraded to the Jard 4 lb trigger. SWEET!!!!!

AR001.jpg

Bad news: I haven't located brother's long lost detent yet. The search continues.

Ahhh Success! In the future don't use a razor blade, Simply use the takedown pin itself to compress the detent and spring. That way it's already in place to slide in and presto it's done. Your fingers should contain the pin from falling anywhere but down.

I say that and then fully admit I was on my hands and knees twice putting that last lower together as the pin dropped into my lap and got under my chair where it hid for a good 5 minutes.
smile.gif

After loosing one during my first build, I have started assembling the front take down with the whole lower inside a big zip-lock bag. Plenty of room to get your hands in and assemble it and if it does pop out, it's still in the bag.

I had something similar happen the first time I uncscrewed a buffer tube. The retainer and spring went flying.
I have learned over the years different ways to cup my hands or point the lower while I am working on it to try and avoid flying springs and parts but I still occassionally lose stuff.
If I am ordering parts and I think about, I will throw a couple detents, springs, and other things like that to keep as spares. They are pretty cheap and my knees just can't take crawling around on the floor like I used to.
grin.gif

by the way, back a few years ago I did pick up a Model 1 tool desinged to help install take-down pins and it works really well. Midway sells it for about 4 bucks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dwayAfter loosing one during my first build, I have started assembling the front take down with the whole lower inside a big zip-lock bag. Plenty of room to get your hands in and assemble it and if it does pop out, it's still in the bag.

that has to one of the best ideas i have ever heard of
thank the LORD for me finding PM!!!!

oh the btw great lookn rifle

Last edited:
losing pins and detents is pretty bad, can drive ya to drink for sure. Glad you got er fixed..

first time I took the buffer tube off of mine the buffer retainer shot out and pinged me dead square between the eyes. not THAT will piss a guy off...

I'll prolly get flamed for this. But make some... On the first kit I ever put together the all the take down pins were over sized and would not fit in any of the holes even with out the springs. Waiting on more pins was not an option I WAS gonna be shooting PD's with it the next day. I found that with a pair of dykes and a wire hanger we cut two pieces to length, filed one end smooth and left the ridge the cutters made on the other. Worked perfect, A buddy now has that gun and it is still working great. The only problem that he has had with it is the bolt catch roll pin was weak and bent (had to be replaced). But the wire hanger detents are still money...

I gotta be one of the luckiest guys around. Even after buying the "tool" for the job, I still launched mine into the room, TWICE Saturday night....and found it both times! Once behind the computer and once in the laundry room. After the language I was throwing around the second time, my wife came downstairs to see if I had been stabbed!!!

Back