22 Hornet not grouping shots

NOTAHD

A few years back I bought an almost new 22 Hornet Ruger M77 . Never really had much need for shooting it. I'm more into the larger varmint guns 17HMR, 204, 22-250 AI and my 220 Swift AI. Going to do a prairie dog hunt this spring and wanted to use the Hornet. I've got some factory Hornady and Federal loads apx. (1.710 OAL) and I've loaded some from my once fired brass with 11 to 12 grs of lil gun and 35Ggr Nosler Ballistic tip lead free bullets (1.920"OAL). The factory loads won't shoot a group any smaller then 3" at 100 yards. So the ones that I loaded at1.920" shoot about a 1" group at 100 yds. For some reason that is as close as I can get. Any one have any thoughts on this? Now I know it isn't the shooter cause I'll put 10 shots in a thumb nail at 200 yards with the other varmint guns I have. As for the 17 maybe the whole thumb on a calm day.

Some hornets like a crimp. A Lee factory crip die is around $10 and often makes a huge difference. You might try a couple different bullets too. My last hornet liked Sierra 40gn BK's, but would make groups like a shotgun with PRVI factory ammo. The 35gn Hornady hornet bullets shot the next best. I used AA1680 powder. Primers can also effect grouping on hornets. Mine liked CCI 550's.

My K Hornet did well with the 35 Vmax, I used both sm rifle and sm pistol primers, the latter shot better groups. I'm sceptical of the non-lead small caliber bullets. I wont use em unless I have to. Good luck.

Tim and Pruson,

You guys must have had the same experience that I had with Rugers.

I now have CZ 527 in 22 hornet that shoots everything wonderfully. In fact I have shot less than moa groups at 250 yds with 40 gr sierra hornet bullet and 13 gr LIL Gun Small pistol primers.

Just ordered a K hornet reamer. guess I will prolly screw it up for an extra 200 fps.

Dave

Mousedipper, I've never had the expereince personally. I went through the pain of watching a few frinds who owned them. I watched as they wasted their money on this corrective actions, then that one. Bolt spacers, floating, bedding, triggers, etc.

I bought a Browning Micro Hunter in 22 Hornet and have been smiling and shooting half inch and under groups with factory ammo ever since. Bought a second one and converted it to 17 Ackley Hornet, same only better performance. WOW!

Your Ruger does better than mine. Mine won't go anywhere near 1" at 100 yds,,,
sneaky2.gif

buddy said its like a h&r put a 3/8 piece of rounded water hose washer half a inch back from the end of the stock under the barrel...with the open end facing the muzzle...then he said loosen the 2 bedding screws and snug them dont over tighten them....his shoots a half inch group...but also shot a 3" group when he first shot it....if i new about the rubber trick i would have bought it for the 200 he offered it to me....at the range...its the ruger

Last edited:
NOTAHD, I hate to hear this about your Ruger! Mine has been very special since the first time I laid my hands on it. I would suggest not giving up on trying to find the right load for it. It's a dandy of a rifle(I guess when they shoot like mine)! Maybe try a heavier bullet. Alot of Hornets seem to like a bullet around 45-46gr. I always shot factory ammo, up to this year, and it did fine. Some shot better than others. Mine always seemed to prefer the Remington. I have started handloading and my first load I used Lil Gun with remarkable results! Keep trying and hopefully it will payoff!

Originally Posted By: PrusonConsidering it is a Ruger, you're doing great!

+1

Seriously, if you want better accuracy, you should look at a Browning Micro Hunter or a CZ. Ruger are kind of know for this issue. No disrespects intended.

Well I just picked up a Ruger M77 .22 Hornet in the first part of March, only have gotten to go out twice to shoot it. But I think it won't take long to get the right load worked up for it. Here's what I did... My .22 Hornet loads still working on it, got some 35gr VMax's loaded up and ready just waiting for the dang weather to get better! Good luck to ya!

My 2 sons and I all have Ruger 77/22's and love them. They shoot great with Rem brass, Lil-Gun powder and CCI small pistol primers with 35 gr V-Max bullets.

We started at 12.5 gr of powder and increased by 1/10 gr at a time till we found the sweet spot. Mine settled in at 12.7 gr.

I can't understand why people don't like the Rugers. I've never had a bad one. Currently own 6.

Last edited:
If you are getting 1" at 100yds. thats very very good! Most rifles won't do that good. Remember where you are at! The online Tack Driver sight! Its getting almost as bad as RFC around here with the bench rest accurate rifles! On the internet its like going to a bar, theres know telling what you are going to here! Good luck with the rifle.

Originally Posted By: PABob

We started at 12.5 gr of powder and increased by 1/10 gr at a time till we found the sweet spot. Mine settled in at 12.7 gr.

Very good advice! With such a small case, a little change goes a long way.

I've owned the Ruger sporter (with the 20" barrel), for about 17 years. At first, it was a solid 2" shooter with factory or handloads. I added a Timney Spring & Sear kit for the trigger, started using Lilgun and small pistol primers, and now it shoots very well.

When using Lilgun, try using heavier bullets, say 45gr+. I've noticed a large spread in velocity with lighter than 45gr bullets, and the SD's drop as the bullet weight goes up. Hodgdon says Lilgun will give you much higher speeds and much lower pressures (about 30% less), than other powders.

I have over 75 long guns most are Remingtons. 15 are Rugers not one of them have I had a problem with as I have this hornet.I will not give up. I'm going to see my gunsmith next month and take it apart and check it out good.

Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357My K Hornet did well with the 35 Vmax, I used both sm rifle and sm pistol primers, the latter shot better groups. I'm sceptical of the non-lead small caliber bullets. I wont use em unless I have to. Good luck.

Very true on all accounts.

My 527 Hornet likes 12.7 gr of Lil Gun, 35 Gr VMax and Pistol Primers. Under 1" at 100 yards.

Back