Is Fiocchi really this bad?

UtahShooter

So the other day I and my buddy were de priming some of the G.F.L. head stamp in .223 and I could not believe how off center the flash holes are. Has anyone else had this problem?

004-3.jpg

006-3.jpg

There was over 20 of them. Now if this was in 20,000 I just may believe it but it was 20/20. We just stopped after that.

Last edited:
I bought several 50 round boxes of them when the 50 grain Vmax loads were selling for $20 a box at Cabellas. After shooting a couple of boxes through my .223AI for fireforming (they shot great by the way) when later decapping I too noticed that the flash holes were off center. However, I loaded the now fireformed brass back up with one of my favorite AI loads and no problems at all. I have reloaded a few hundred of them now and have not had any problems. If I was a match shooter this might be a bit of a concern to me, but as far as I can tell at the range and out in the field, those off center flash holes are a non issue.

Yep it's a common thing with their ammo. I had more then a few I got rid of because of it, I'm sure they would have worked though. It did shoot pretty good.

I don't care to reload it for that reason. I wasted a decapping shaft, it bent when the depriming pin bent in to a u shape. I won't buy any more. Its very accurate in my Remington 788 for a factory load. Midway has it on sale now for 18.99 if I remember right.

Originally Posted By: who meI don't care to reload it for that reason. I wasted a decapping shaft, it bent when the depriming pin bent in to a u shape. I won't buy any more. Its very accurate in my Remington 788 for a factory load. Midway has it on sale now for 18.99 if I remember right.

I hope that you are saving that brass anyway. I will buy you lunch or breakfast at the Crime Scene for what you dont want. Then if I lose a decapping pin you can "I told you so" the dickens out of me if you want.

Oh, and I just bought 10 more boxes of the stuff from Midway. Works mighty good in my guns too.

Rustydust, I'll save it up for ya. I would buy alot of it if I wasn't a reloader. I do have some that says Fiocchi on the case head that is great brass. Its just the stuff that has GFL on the head stamp that has offset flash holes

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: reb8600I have never seen a flash hole off like that but have never deprimed any of that brass either.

Its normally Winchester that looks like that for me...I would say just look at your brass and cull out the crap.

I shoot a lot of PMC brass, all of it 55gr bulk stuff that I have swaged and use for reloading. Its been really good brass, but 4-5 out of 100 cases have had off center flash holes, i just tossed them and used the good stuff. Don't waste otherwise good brass, just cull the junk!

Oh and use a Lee universal decapping die...you will never break a decapping pin again, even if its off center!

Do you know if that brass is from the Extrema or the Rifle Dynamic rounds? I bought a few boxes of the Extrema 50g Vmax and they shoot great. Main reason I bought them is because the brass looked so good, real nice annealing on them. I haven't tried to reload any of the brass yet so I don't know how the flash holes are on them.

peace.
unloaded

Back