more coyote hunters in illinois huh

1trapper

well in the past yote hunters in illinois topic dogger called a yote in within 8 minutes..i've just started about a month ago and have went at least 7 times 3 mornings and 4 evenings and have seen nothing!...dogger what call where you using and how did you use it..one more question do anyone know if when using tapes play the tapes and don't stop it..one more thing..i've heard if you don't see a coyote within 15 minutes they're either not there or not coming..any thoughts??

thanks alot

First off, let me welcome you to the board, 1trapper.

Second, I'm willing to bet if you placed this post in one of the two hunting forums (Predator/Eastern) you'd get more results over the Club House.

Now...just because one guy calls and gets results 8 minutes later doesn't mean that everyone's going to have that kind of luck. I'm willing to bet that it doesn't happen on that guys next stand. The right place at the right time can make any one of us look like a pro just as fast as the opposite can deflate our egos.

I've been out howling and had coyotes pop their heads out of the brush to take a gander before I have the call set down to re-grip the rifle.
I've also called every other weekend for two months before and had nothing but Hawks comin at me. But I never gave up.

one more thing..i've heard if you don't see a coyote within 15 minutes they're either not there or not coming..any thoughts??
I don't buy that. I've sat for 45 minutes many times, pondering my next set up when I get approached by an oncomer.

....keep callin...

------------------
~River Runner~

Champion Tannery
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

www.predatormasters.com

Welcome to the board!

As for the calling, you have to persevere. Eastern calling is like that. You can do everything right for a month and see nothing. Then the next time out, you can't stop them from coming.

If you get crows, hawks, owls, and buzzards coming when you call, there is nothing wrong with your calling. If you are not seeing them, you are doing something very wrong.

Plenty of ideas here, you might try the Predator Hunting forum or Eastern Calling.

Welcome to the board, trapper. I'm assuming from your topic, you are from Ill. If so, where abouts?

Also, by now, there's been a ton of guys out after these dogs. From truck hunters (drive around and shoot at anything that looks like a coyote), to snowmobilers and 4x4 atv's, to good callers and bad callers. So, in effect, many surviving coyotes are pretty wise at this time of year. That may be one problem.

I know some of the new callers are not patient and get up after a few minutes, disappointed that nothing came in. Needless to say, that's not too good, except for the dogs.

As far as what has worked for us here in NW ILL., is run the tape constantly, try to move the speaker to cover more than one direction( not 360 but at least 180 degrees) and try to call cross wind if possible.

The last rule is...there are no rules when it comes to hunting these dogs. I've had them come from all directions, especially the one you aren't looking. Camo up, sit in cover as much as possible, move as little as possible, and try to set up wisely.

Hope this helps a little. Also, the last couple of weekends, the wind here has been 25-35+. We haven't done much good then.

Good luck.

Terry

Hey Terfisil i'm from just north of Alton Illinois in a town called Brighton. Thanks and i am a newcomer to this part of hunting me and my buddy just started and it he told me the 15 minute not there or not comin to the call but we will try and stay for longer next time and start calling across wind more often thanks for the replys..

HI Trapper. I grew up in Alton-Godfrey,Ill.
My sister and brother-in-law live in Brighton. Maybe you know them Mary + Joe Reece. I know Joe likes to hunt and is always telling me he sees coyotes, but of course when he doesn't have his rifle with him,ha ha.
Rita

hey will...heard of the last name before they gotta daughter named joanne? if so i know em nice to know people on here live around me

1trapper, Welcome to the board. Yes I did get lucky my first time out, but since it has been a little bit of a challenge. I have only had a few chances to get out this year, and in about 11 sets I have only called in 3 coyotes( 2 in one set and missed both) and one big fat boar coon which came in from about 100 yards out. TerFis pretty much somes it up on how to go about hunting these guys. Be patient, learn from your mistakes, and just read what these guys have to say and one of these times it is all going to fall into place for you.

TerFis, Did you have any luck up your way when the snow blew in. I wasn't able to get away like I had hoped to. Buddies up there in Henry Co. downed six one day after all the snow.

JML

Hi Trapper My name is Rita,AZ Will was my husband.
Joe has two sisters Mary and Linda. Linda and her husband raise coon dogs in Shipman.

Doggin,
I really haven't had much of a chance to get out like I wanted to. If I have time, the weather's bad(been very windy here), when the conditions are right, something else gets in the way.

It's getting to that time of year to do other things, also. My partner shows horses and is working on that more and more. I shoot competitive sporting clays and that's beginning to get rolling.

So times running out for me, here. There's also the discussion about leaving the dogs alone when they have pups. That's all a personal choice, since we have a continuous open season here. I simply get busy with other things, once the weather warms.

Trapper, I know where Brighton is, been through there a few times on my way to and from St. Louis. Aren't the Nilo Farms and kennels there? That was all associated with Winchester, was it not? Hope you get out this weekend and have better luck than you have been having.

Hi Rita. I was a little surprised when I saw the name Azwill. I'm glad you still come to see what we are up to here. It was good to see your post.

Terry

[This message has been edited by TerFisIL (edited 02-19-2002).]

hey rita...i'm sorry i must not know them i've heard of them name before though...and yeah i have a friend that lives on nilo farms..i've been back there driving around siteseeing checkin out the sites...couple bigen's been killed back there
smile.gif
..buddy of mine that lives back there hunts w/ me...

Rita, It's a great honor to have you visiting here with us Illinois guys! I hope all is well for you and your family. Thanks for your inspiration.

For those of you new to this forum,Rita's husband,Will Craig, was the founder of "Predator Masters". It was Will's idea and dream to start a forum to give old and new predator hunters a way to share stories and expertise. The annual Predator Masters "Will Craig Predator Hunt" is dedicated to him. To read more on this try this link: http://www.predatormastersforums.com/ubb/Forum24/HTML/000107.html He is forever missed, but never forgotten! Nikonut

Hi Trapper,
My sister said she knows a Joanna Reese who works at the restraunt in Brighton. No relation to them. Joe says alot of coyotes running around back there.
Rita

Back