I Don't Have A Bore Sight!

Quote:Set up gun in sled 10 yards from your neighbors barn, shoot once, find hole, dial scope to hole. Most of my neighbors would be shooting me if I did something like that....
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Evil_LurkerI'll be sighted in before you have the boresighter put back in the case.

You will fire a shot at 10yds, adjust your scope, get up and walk to 25yds, fire a shot, and adjust your scope before I can adjust my scope one time with the boresighter?

Wow, you move fast.

Thursday I took a brand new rifle to the range. Boresighted it. First shot, 2.5" low and 2.5" right from center @ 100yds. If I wanted to, I could have been dialed in on the next shot. Instead, I fired 2 more shots (to see how it would group)printing a 13/16" group. Dialed crosshairs to center of 3 shot group. Next 3 shots 1/2" group in bullseye.

It doesn't get much easier IMO......

My experience has been to remove the bolt and put a distant object in the center of the barrel, the further away the object is the more accurate your bore sighting will be. Caution the object must be stationary, do not bore sight on moving objects. Then look through scope without bumping or moving the rifle, adjust scope to where the crosshairs and barrel are on the same pinpoint object and I will be in the 9 ring at least.

Do not bore sight on moving objects.

Quote:Wow, you move fast.

I do. I'm not old, fat and crippled up yet.

When I am, I'll ask for a boresighter for Christmas.
grin.gif

Use whatever works best for you. I was giving the guy a real simple and easy way of sighting in his rifle if he didn't have a boresighter available.

It works well, actually.

Given results I've seen last two scopes I had mounted at the local gun shop, I have ZERO faith in boresighters anymore.

Had to use Evil Lurker's method with the last one... barely hit the paper at 10 yards. As in, I was 5+ inches high at 10 yards. Gun before that was 15 - 20 inches low and right at 25 yards.

2 different guys sighted them, over a year apart, same boresighter and arbor (I think).

By the same respect... I have had them boresighted and never had to turn a dial afterward.

Ken, if I had a bore sighter that was accurate enough to put me on the paper on the first shot, that's all I'd ever use.
I've just never found one that would do that.

Very rarely am I not on paper @ 100yds. I can't even remember the last time, but it happens.

I think some of you don't mount your scopes correctly. As in use alignment rods and lap accordingly, or shim if necessary.....

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunVery rarely am I not on paper @ 100yds. I can't even remember the last time, but it happens.

I think some of you don't mount your scopes correctly. As in use alignment rods and lap accordingly, or shim if necessary.....

I bet they don't use a level.....

Last edited:
This thread got me to thinking.

Sunday morning I was up north and decided to sight in my 22 mag that I had just repainted and mounted a new scope on. After we had set up a target at 100yds, I took the rifle out and to my dismay, noticed that I had forgot to boresight it, and did not the have boresighter with me.

We did not feel like trudging through the 16-18" of snow again to move the target closer, so we proceeded to use the method as described by Pilot195 above. Well let's just say it ended up taking about 17 shots to get it to my liking. Printing a final 3 shots of 3/8".

It was kind of an irritating process and I cursed myself for not boresighting before I left home. But I have done it many times before, and it worked.

Sooooo, I just now stuck the boresighter in the 22 mag, and guess what? Windage is dead on, as in not even one click off. Elevation is only 4-5 clicks off.

In other words, the boresighter would have easily had me on paper @ 100yds in this case also, and saved me some ammo......

I really don't understand how anyone could not find a boresighter to be a ueful tool, but to each their own.

You can also use to see if your scope is functioning correctly. As in tracking properly and holding zero.......

Back