How did you get started?

I read an article about Ed Sceery in "The Trapper" about 22 or 23 years ago. From an ad in that magazine, I ordered his Varmint Getter calls and an instruction tape. From there on out, I just learned by doing and observing. By the way, I still use those calls. They are the old wooden calls.

I didn't know squat about it. I just decided to try it. I picked a call and hiked out in a cut corn field. Less than 15 seconds into calling a red fox stepped out about 100 yards away. I whiffed the shot but my partner dropped him. I returned to the same spot a few days later and called in another red which now resides on my bedroom wall. Thats all it took to hook me.

varmit hunter

I don't recall any of them being green, but that doesn't mean much. I think the record player was green or grey or somewhere in between.

The record player had much better sound quality than the early tape players.

Had a lot of fun with the "Mating screams of the female mountain lion" record in town. Best cop call ever.

I was talking to Gerald Stewart last year and that sound is still available on tape.

Jack

Jack,I have that MT Lion tape.It would take all night to tell you of the fun I have had with it over the past years.Talk about shake some people up.

Ya know since I will be 40 this Sunday I had to really think about this one for a while. Then I remember the first time I had a run-in with a varmint.

We lived in Kilgore Texas when I was 10 years old, in a run down drilling house. My dad had bought me this danged nice single shot 20 guage for deer hunting when I was 7 so I was a fairly seasoned hunter for 10. Before that 100's of birds had fallen to a bb gun. Any ways. I had this flock of about 15 hens and one really big leghorn rooster that I got out of my grandfathers chicken house(commercial, 12,000 birds in a "small house")One by one they begin to disappear. When I had about 7 left I caught the danged culprit redhanded(pun intended here) a RED FOX!!! scared the heck out of me when he came charging out of the brush right behind that old fat hen. I ran in after my shotgun but by the time I got back he was long gone. The next day I noticed that I only had 6 hens and 1 rooster. That did it. I figured if he was chasin the chickens I could use one to get him. I caught one tied a rope around it's leg and staked her out in the middle of the back yard and took up my stand. It didn't take long that afternoon when the stupid fox came out to get that hen. hehehe The rest is history.. It exited me to no end. I haven't kill another fox since but I started hunting coyotes about 20 years ago with a colt officers model 45 auto. It was a long time in between(10 years) but it is still the roots of why I do it.. Excitement is unequaled to me in the form of a slight fear of being eaten if I miss. Kinda psychological but it is something I cann't get rid of.

I also have to say that the element of a mountain lion at the Arizona hunt is probably what affected my calling so much. Couldn't get passed the fact that a big old mean cat could sneak up on ya from behind. I can usually sit stil for quite awhile but out there I really had the twitches lol
biggrin.gif
.YEAH what a rush....James L.

------------------
Never underestimate the power of stupid people!

James,Shelby County had to be the Red Fox capitial of the world when they had all those chicken houses.Havent called up there in a long time.Spending most of my time on the marsh praries around Winnie.They have gotten bad on the caves down there.Those marsh dogs have the longest legs I have ever seen on a coyote.

I had a buddy in college from western Oklahoma that had called alot and he got me interested although I never hunted with him. I bought a dual call by Circe I think and just started going. I was sure shocked the first time it worked. I lost that call a few years ago but it was sure a good one. I mostly learned by going but have learned alot from several partners since then.

A friend of mine (Garry), had been telling me for several years that as a kid growing up in Hickman county,Tenn., he would earn his xmas money by shooting fox at night. When I asked him how he managed that he told me about the Johnny Stewart tapes. Well I was skeptical to say the least, but after several years of his stories, he finally produced a J S tape for me. I decided to take it out on my next bowhunt and see what would happen.
When I turned on the little radio shack tape player I just knew the police would be there within minutes thinking I was killing somebody. I only let it play about 15 seconds before turning it off, I did this 3x I think and then heard a rustling coming over the ridge. When it finally appeared I was shocked, there stood a fat little grey fox up on a log looking for the source of the sound, as he started to walk away I turned the player back an and he came running right to me. A lucky shot from about 25 yards with the bow and I have been hooked since.
biggrin.gif

im only 16 and i got 3 SETS of records from 1947! they are..edgar bergen and charlie McCarthy, Fibbr McGee and Molly, and th Jack Benny Album! I was jsut telin ya! they r in mint condition, and im wondering how much they r worth!

Andrew

------------------
There are THREE kinds of people in this world!! Those who can count and those who can't!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If YoU cAn’T RuN wItH ThE bIg DoGs, ThEn StAy On ThE PoRcH!

Anmallvr2004@yahoo.com

i was at a turkey hunting seminar and the speaker was alex rutledge. he said something like how many of yall predator hunt and then showed us some coyote hunting kills. i was hooked and bought my first call later that night. so thanks to alex im addicted. he should get a raise cause the addiction led to me buying a js elecronic caller!

------------------
have fun and shoot straight
brad

Way back during the first ice age, I used to hunt coyotes for bounty. Used to prowl the hills of Chino Hills and Irvine Ranch in an old Dodge Powerwagon with glass packs. Talk about telegraphing your intentions. Hooked up an old Police "unitrol" and just let loose with the hi/lo, whelp and whatever else we could get out of it. Don't ask me how we came upon that siren, not sure the statute of limitations is over with that one. The coyotes would respond, day or night and we'd let fly with a pair of old Win. 94's in 30/30. Made enough to pay for gas and babes. We didn't have a clue how to call, what to call with, what sounds we were "supposed" to produce, whatever, we just fired up the siren and whacked a bunch. Met up with some ol' boys from the Dakotas and Montana while in the military and it hasn't stopped since.

------------------
Bob
fdfa3b5b.gif

had been doing a lot crow hunting with a mouth call and got sick of blowingmy brain out, i bought a J.S 512 long range. my dad new i had some sort of sickness at that point when his 16 year old son would spend a 150$ dollars on a crow call, it took me a long time to call in a yote, and then all at once things started to work out for me on the dogs i don't know if it was somthing i did or not, a couple of years ago i killed 18 in about 3 months, that is pretty good for western washington.

I got my start a lot like James Lindley did. Critters getting into the chicken coop. I think it had something to do with the excitement and anticipation and uncertainty of the moment. Whatever it was, it took hold when I was about 10-11 and has never let go.
Bob, Chino Hills was one of my old stompin' grounds in the 70's. I made friends with the Basque sheep herders who grazed there. They told tales of lions and bear in those hills. They would tell me which canyon had fresh sheep or cattle carcasses in it and I would set up for coyotes there. I shot my first bobcat in 1971 in Chino Hills. It used to be great for dove and quail back then. Now, it's pretty much just a horseback riders park.

[This message has been edited by NASA (edited 02-11-2002).]

Read some stories on predator hunting. Had an ecaller already JS512 and was killin crows daily on my buddies dairy in Chino.

Went out and tried callin nearby when my house was getting built in 1997. Yotes came runnin in like a puppy chow commercial and I blasted them. Been hooked ever since and it's the only hunting I do except for dove and quail.

Bob/Nasa, Chino Hills still has alot of critter up there if you know someone since it's all private. Full of yotes too! Seen some big deer up there too!

Bob the statue of limitations on the siren were 3 years. I won't tell though, but we are missin one. He He!!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Dogboy (edited 02-11-2002).]

Dogboy, you're right about that! Since they turned it into a park there are more ground squirrels now that you could ever kill. I saw my first badger there a few years back. Caught a 6 ft. diamondback with an 11 button rattle down on the South end. The only way in now is through the main Park entrance. No hunting, no shooting, no off road travel, and no vehicles beyond a certain point. It's like an island now, with housing developments on 3 sides and the 71 freeway along the front. What a shame.

Back