Groundhogs Anyway You Like It

You see a good many of those on M40 builds on the hide. I guess if it was good enough for the corps, gotta be good enough to hunt critters and smack steel. Are they the "smear" stocks you hear so much about? Just noticed the red and blue bands on the 243, barrel glare shield mounts or something else?

Couple of rimfire victims from last year. Marlin 17HMR, Rifle Basix trigger, Boyds Evolution seconds stock, Pentax Gameseeker 4x-16x ballistic plex, Millet rings, Savage 5 rnd mags, TAB sling, CCI 20gr. Gamepoints.
186yds
PICT0117.jpg

152yds head shot
PICT0115.jpg

30yds, Surprise
scared.gif

PICT0121.jpg

Corey, the best part about those stocks are the history behind them....other than that I hate the HTG stocks. The ergos suck for prone shooting, mostly the low comb height is what gets me. I'm guessing the USMC got by with them because they had no choice (grin). Those 3 would be the "smear" version. Superseal has a newer one that is in the standard camo.

The red/blue is electrical tape. I always tape my muzzles to keep crud out of the barrel when I'm out hunting. The tape at the midpoint on the barrel is spare tape. I have red/blue/black/green/orange and I just use whatever is handy. I also keep spare tape wrapped around the turret covers on my scopes that have covered turrets.

That's a really good through the scope pic, mine never turn out that well.
thumbup.gif

Trick is to set camera to the setting with the flower (thinks its called macro) and almost touch the camera lens to the scope. It takes some practice. I seem to get the best visability when the camera is at full zoom. Those pictures are with my Burris Signature on 24X with fine duplex reticle. Groundhog was about 250yds, buck about 350yds last year during bow season. Camera wasn't strong enough to pull him in so I used the 243 scope
thumbup1.gif
was while I was at the office working, kinda.
PICT0068.jpg

Last edited:
Over the years I have shot them with everything from a 22lr to a 12ga. The seasons that pegged the fun meter to the top were a couple of years that I only hunted them with my 41 mag Ruger Blackhawk and one summer that was 22 mag and head shots only. Makes you work for them.

The longest shot was 436 yards with a .223 and the closest was about 3 inches away from my big toe with a Colt 1911. Lots of fun to be had in the bean field in the Summer.

ELJ

The picture of the ghog with just its head poking out brings back memmories . Kind like hitting 1 at the hole flipping upside down falling head first back in the hole . I call them hole in 1's darn azz end sticking up out of hole. Great video Corey Thank you,

Jim

Originally Posted By: ELJOver the years I have shot them with everything from a 22lr to a 12ga. The seasons that pegged the fun meter to the top were a couple of years that I only hunted them with my 41 mag Ruger Blackhawk and one summer that was 22 mag and head shots only. Makes you work for them.

The longest shot was 436 yards with a .223 and the closest was about 3 inches away from my big toe with a Colt 1911. Lots of fun to be had in the bean field in the Summer.

ELJ

ELJ,

That about sums up the life of a groundhog hunter. Well said...

Eric

Brad,

I still wish I bought a "smear" instead of my regular camo on my M40A1 stocks. I see them pop up time to time on the 'hide, but still fetching some pretty penny. Over time they will go up even more since of the history behind the stocks. My Return stocks sits nested with a Rem 40x .22lr and my neck still gets outta wack when shooting from that stock.

I mainly do spot and stalk and ambush for groundhogs with a few long range shots. With tons of buildings around the farm the Ghogs den everywhere. It makes LR shots difficult due to our terrain, live stock, and houses off in the distance.

I have used the following on Ghogs:
.17 M2
.17 HMR
.22 Mag
.17 Rem
.22 Hornet
.204 Ruger
.223 AI
Bow&Arrow

Here's some pictures from the past few years.

.17 Rem
fe4adab1.jpg

Savage .17 M2
afb8f648.jpg

4663e091.jpg

.223AI
6c029ae1.jpg

cc904a97.jpg

.204 Ruger
DSCI0617-1copy.jpg

CZ .22 Hornet
DSCI0182-1.jpg

.17 rem
DSCI0046.jpg

.17rem
DSCI0050.jpg

.17 M2 and .17 HMR both shot this butterball Ghog
DSCI0249.jpg

Magnum Research .22 mag w/Swaro 4-12

a4b65ca3.jpg

AR .223 ghog at 300yds
DSCI0167-1.jpg

That 17Rem in the first picture has to be one of my favorite rifles on here. One of these days I'm going to have to break down and get me a 17 centerfire.

SuperSeal,

What a great selection of rifles. I have to agree with Corey, love the 17 Rem! Hmmm, is it for sale?
laugh.gif
Thanks for sharing your pictures.

Eric

Corey, Thank you for the comment. It's my favorite rifle and mainly take it if I'm out and about on the farm.

Eric, everything has a price... grin. Nope, it's not for sale. I don't have much into that rig since I scooped everything up on good deals.

Price break down on my rig:

.17 rem
Action $167
PN $300
Mcm mnt $450
Talleys $30
Leupy $275
Smith $140
Total $1362

Action for $167, how could you afford not to build on that? That is what a Stevens 200 goes for new. The price of the build makes it even more special. Great job SS110. I wouldn't sell either.

Corey,

Actually that was for the whole rifle. $167. I bought a ADL, .204 Ruger at my local GM and with my gift cards that I saved, it brought that rifle down to $167. I still have the barrel and stock I need to see. Basically I'll have about 100 clams into my action. Can't beat that, eh?

Got a MKII Ruger slabside the same way for $150. Won gift certificates in a management bowhunt and wife tossed in cash for Christmas, only cost me $150 out of pocket, gotta love those deals. That is an awesome rifle for chuckin' and calling.

Back