Topo software?

d2admin

Administrator
Would anyone care to share any knowledge or opinion on any of the topo software packages available? I'm going to buy one soon, just starting to dig into the details. Looking specifically at All Topo (www.igage.com), Nat'l Geographic (www.topo.com) and Maptech (www.maptech.com).

Will be buying the Utah package (or the Utah/Nevada set if I choose Maptech).

Will be using in conjunction with etrex Legend (have Garmin R&R mapping to put maps on it) and occasionally a laptop for real time tracking.

TIA!

- DAA

DAA, I've got the Maptech Terrain Navigator 2001 for my Garmin Venture and I really like it. It's got tons of great features, including free access to Maptech's web server complete with all of their maps. You can print topo maps, upload/download waypoints to/from your GPS, etc., the list goes on and on. I'd buy it again in a minute. Mine has come in handy more than once.
smile.gif
MI VHNTR

DAA,
If you can hold on a day or so I can get you some expert advice. I'm not just talkin when I say it also. I have been doing GPs work for a while on mapping, and you name it. The man in charge of the projects I'm working on knows his stuff. There are some programs where your points will be off anywhere from 1 meter to 300 meters. I was checking some points on this one set of info and it was off by 2500 meters. i will let you know. Maptech is a good one. Will let you know of others.
TNT

I have a Garmin E map, but I haven't purchased the mermory stick for it yet.

My brother has the Garmin map source software for topo and city. Was about 300. I think. (2 disks)
When we went hunting last year with the horses, we came back and plugged the GPS into the labtop. Was way cool! I think he has a 64 meg card in his right now, he can cover a lot of area on topo with it. Mike

TNT asked me to review the products you listed in your post. I currently work in the field of Geographic Information Systems (GIS)and use GPS survey equipment to gather data and navigate to specific locations in the field. After reviewing the web sites you listed, it appears that the All Topo product provided the most GIS functionality for working with the topos and your GPS unit. The other sites did not provide alot of detail on the products they offer. You should make sure that the software you choose works with your GPS unit. Another point to consider is that most of the DRG topo maps are available for free on the web.

Thank you fellows, the feedback is much appreciated. Special thanks to you TNT for going to the trouble of getting an especially informed opinion - I apreciate it!

Will let you know what I decide, when I decide. Am actually leaning towards the Maptech right now, because it comes with both Utah and Nevada. But based on what I can tell from the websites, my feeling is that the All Topo does look awful strong. Will look the websites over a little more, formulate some questions and call them to get a better idea.

TNT - what questions would you ask Maptech if you were going to call them? I've checked the GPS compatability and all will work with the Garmin etrex Legend, so that's not an issue at this point.

- DAA

I went with the Maptech. All Topo (Igage) had some features I really like, but the way that Maptech handles seamless viewing, plus the fact that it comes with two states swayed me towards it.

Ought to be pretty cool on the laptop doing real time tracking on the 7.5 minute topo's and toggling 3D view.

- DAA

DAA, Sorry I didnt get back to you sooner, got real busy and this is the first I've been able to fire up the comp.See you went with the Maptech, let me know how you like it.
TNT

I have been going through this search too. If you really want the authentic 7.5 minute USGS maps the TOPO! or Maptech are good choices.

I wanted to be able to download the actual terrain maps directly to my GPS (Garmin Etrex). Nothing except Garmins TOPO software will do this (AFAIK) and the Garmin TOPO is the 1:100,000 scale only.

I also about pulled my hair out trying to make it work until I discovered that you have to upgrade both the GPS software (free) and the Mapsource software (also free). Then you have to crank up the detail from the application, save the map and download it to your gps. All fairly easy, but not intuitive or clearly explained in the directions.

I have TOPO! to print the Colorado USGS maps that I put in my pocket and the Garmin Mapsource for my GPS.

If someone discovers a TOPO map that can be downloaded to a Garmin GPS please let us know.

Back