need an explination

Originally Posted By: .22-250manIts a fixed power scope so nothing was changed from the time i shot it at 100 then moved to 200. And by the sound of it and the enourmous muzzle flash i dont think they are under powered. This is what gets my attention.The ENORMOUS muzzle flash.Are you sure on the barrel length? I'm wondering if you are losing alot of velocity due to a short barrel.Can you borrow a chrony to see what the rounds are doing? It might be the problem because everything else i've read seems good to go.

Originally Posted By: Bloody_TailgateThe white box are actually traveling closer to 3700fps. In order to have that kind of drop his bullet would have to be traveling at 2400fps...I just can't see that being the case, unless he's firing the 22-250 rounds out of a 243 barrel. If you're questioning me about this move back to 300, if your speed really is that slow you should be about 20" low.

This guys shooting 55gr pills so 3700 might be a bit hight but even with that, with a 20" barrel it'd have to drop by about 250fps. I don't think that's enough to make it a 300 yrds drop on a 200 yard target.

Fully agree + 1 on the scope

I have a question, after you shot at 100yds then at 200yds and it was off that far, did you shoot again at 100yds to see if you were still hitting 1.5 inches high? I know swift scopes have had problems before of letting go of the crosshairs and they move. And if you read the manufacturers info on their scopes, most parallax are set at 100yds from the factory.

Last edited:
I did not have time to shoot it again after I shot it at 200. My friend had to go somewhere. I have a simmoms whitetail classic 6.5-20x50 with the adjustable parallax. I'm not sure if I should put that scope on there or not. I just wish I could settle this issue once and for all. its really depressing to buy a gun, put a scope on it, and then have those kind of troubles even [beeep] it may be neither gun nor scope. And to whom asked if I was shooting in the same spot at 200 I was.

And they are th 45 gr jhp wwb at 4000 fps not 55. And yes its a 22 inch barrel for sure.

250man, I'm not sure you have an issue yet. You really haven't shot this rifle enough to know for sure. One hurried range trip with a half dozen shots might not mean much anywhere except in your mind.

If you want to try the higher power scope that is okay, and while you are changing, if you do, then it would be a good time to put some blue loctite on your base screws to be sure they are tight and won't loosen.

If it were me, and it's not, I'd leave the scope in place like you have it, and go back and reshoot to be sure the results repeat. Try to get a time when you aren't in a hurry and conditions are good (not always easy).

If you haven't changed anything since your first test, shoot the 200 yd group first. If it still fires low, then adjust to hit where you want, probably 1.5 inches high at 200, and then fire a second group to verify.

Then I'd move up to 100 yds and fire my third group to see where it hits. It should also be about 1.5 inches high. If it hits there, you should be dead on at 250 and only 1.7 inches low at 280 and about 3 low at 300.

If you've already changed the scope, you'll need to go back to 100 and start over.

I think i will keep the scope on and take your advice. But finding a good day to shoot will be tough so hopefully one comes up soon because this is driving me insane.

Don't forget to update us when you figure out the actual problem. It sure has me curious.
Sorry I (we) couldn't just tell you for sure what is going on and "be done with it"

just find a country road and shoot when there isn't anyone coming along
smile.gif

I know, not really a good idea, but sometimes things like that seem like the easiest thing to do.

Try a couple things from inside the house (parallax and eye position): test the parallax on your scope, just point it out your window at home at something 200 yards away and move your eye up & down a little while looking through the scope. Test to see how far the x-hair moves on the object you pointed at at first (be sure no one will be spooked at a gun pointing out your window). It SHOULD move a little, if your scope's parallax is set at 100 yards! This could indicate that your eye position is causing the bullet to hit somewhere other than where you want it to.

Then, set up like you are going to shoot. Get the scope lined up at whatever (a small object, and about 200 yards away!). Then, without moving your eye, look around "inside" the scope to see if you eye is right in the middle of the scope. You will likely see a black ring around the outside of the scope. (this would also likely mean that your eye is too close to the scope, and you maybe should move the scope forward if you can) - be sure the black ring is even all the way around and up & down - if you move your eye slightly you will see what I mean (also move your eye closer/farther from the scope and the ring gets bigger/smaller).
Ideally, you really shouldn't see any ring (or very small) - this has to do with how close your eye is and the "eye relief" of the scope. And if you do see a ring, it should be a perfect circle all around the x-hair or you will be "off" when shooting.

If this isn't happening correctly, this could easily have something to do with your shooting (if your eye is set up too low in the scope, it will shoot low). OK, I'm not sure if your eye high or low will mean you shoot low/high, that is a guess, but it WILL affect the shot.
this is at least somethign you can check out without going to the range

Oh, and by the way,

finding balance between work and play gets even harder when you get married and have kids.
Sorry - I sure wouldn't trade my wife or 17 month old for ANYTHING, but thought you should know.
I haven't had my 22-250 or 223 out since last summer!

Last edited:
Back