Early Christmas present

d2admin

Administrator
In front of my house,where I have lived for 30 years,There are 750 acres of rice fields.I have been going up against this bunch of coyotes the whole time I have lived here.I cant tell you how well they know me ,and are extremely good at reducing the big head,After a good trip out west.They have heard every cassette,C D and mouth caller you can dream up.
Friday night I did surgery on a yelper that was made for getting turkeys to shock gobble.After playing with it till midnight,to get that special sound I was looking for,I went to bed.Saturday morning I had my plan,This was plan #64734.I can rarely hunt alone because of my leg problems,But I did not need any more witnesses to what this bunch can do to me.Just 250 yards from my front door,I got off my scoot and crawled over a big leve.Rice fields are full of levees,and the coyotes use them to there full advantage.They usually stay behind them.when coming to a call.

Now for plan #64734.With my new secret weapon,I let out two challenge barks.It was cold and still.After five minutes,I went in to my best ka-ya.Now according to this plan they were supposed to come from the West,(yell right).After thirty long,disappointing minutes,Nothing.I sat there silently for five minutes working on plan #64735.Out of the south comes a big old dog,Swinging his head side to side.he looked like he was thinking,Am I going to be the whipper or the whipe.He broke all the rules,and climbed up on the levee,About 60 yrds away.He saw me raise the .243,and decided to put a couple of levees between us.He just about made it,when the 75 gr V-MAX caught up with his back rib.

Sorry this was so long,But going up against this bunch is like working on a PH.D.,And I don't have to many credits from this school.

Well it damn sure sounds like you earned that one! Way to go
smile.gif

Congratulations varmit hunter, that one must be worth at least a semester. If that old dog was the alpha male, I would really be interested in hearing how the vacuum was filled. Sometimes the alpha female remains boss and takes a subordinte consort, sometimes she is replaced by a subordinate pair. Keep us up date. Tell Paul Hi.

------------------

Rich Higgins

Rich,The social order of coyotes fascinates me.The place I described Sometimes has three packs,Then maybe two or one.The terran wont let me do much observation.I would like to hear more of your thoughts on it.

Now for another subject.If yall remember,I introduced myself,as a friend of Paul Waits.Well I just hung up from a 30 minute conversation with him.He wasted no time telling me how ya'll are better callers than me,More fun than me,Better shots than me,And even better looking than me.I wont be referring to him,As my friend Paul anymore.I will just say that magazine guy.He was really impressed with all of you.Maybe I can charge up the battery on my off road wheel chair,And head that way some day.

Greenside,It is a turkey locator made by MAD calls.It is called the cherry bomb.It has a large cherry wood mouth piece with a large bell on the end.It is made so anyone can come up with a coyote bark.Take off the mouth piece,and you will find a very short thin reed.Unlike most yelpers,You don't have a lot of room to work with,Because of the short reed.I really like it,because you can go from a deep sound to high pitch very quickly.Being short it did not tend to hang up,or have any flat spots.It gave me a lot of sound control.Plus it WORKED!!!!!!.

varmit hunter, I agree with the " good-looking" part. I, myself, am very pretty, some of the other guys here are kinda cute,too, but I ain't buyin the rest of it. I know your initials are RR and soon I hope you will post a list of your credits. ---- My thoughts regarding the line of ascension of your coyote packs. I have none. Thinking about things like that give me a headache because until a few years ago my only observations of coyotes revolved around how to kill them at the first opportunity. Now that I would thoroughly enjoy studying social behavior and especially vocalizations I'm enslaved by my work to the tune of 60 hrs a week. So I learn what I can on weekends and by reading the works of those who do study them fulltime and by listening to men like you and a sizeable number of guys who post here. So varmit, edify me.

------------------

Rich Higgins

varmit hunter--It warmed my heart to hear of your success with that big old coyote. When I bag a smart old dog like that it almost makes me forget all the times I have been outsmarted by many coyotes over the years. GREAT JOB!!!
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Post a few pictures if you have them.

Despite of what you may have heard.The only credits i clam,Is that after all thse years,I am just a student of coyotes.I fully beleve I am still in my freshman year.I was once introduced as a expert predator caller.I quickly stated,That a expert is someone who has made all the mistakes.I am light years away from that.Man I am in trouble now.You have to pay for spell check? good luck to yall decoding my version of English.

Ya see ..I kept telling all those guys us Texicans could kill coyotes!!!!!! lol Great story and keep up the good work. I live about 1.5 hrs north of you and would love to come see how you do it. ....James L.

Back