savage mk II

layback04

I have been debating about getting one of these mainly as a trainer but also to improve my skills. I have a 10/22 but I don't want to modify it since it has sentimental meaning to me. I was looking at dicks and they had a mk II on sale for 250, it had a green stock, scope, and fluted barrel but I couldn't tell if it had the accutrigger and the sales guy didn't know. Does anybody have any insight on this rifle and any good or bad about the mark II, please indicate which one you have. I like the fv and the tr.

I have two mkIIs. One with the accutrigger, one without. Both are black synthetic. Nor sure if it's fv, tr, etc.

It's one of my favorite guns to shoot. Very accurate, very smooth bolt, and very light.

I have the MKII BV in .22Lr with the Accutrigger.It's a great shooter!Mine shoots best with SK Std Plus but it shot very well with all I tried and that was quite a few different loads..I use it for hunting and plinking.The SK ammo cost's about as much as I'm wiling to spend for that.Cant go wrong with these.

layback,
To the best of my knowledge, ANY NEWER MODEL Savage MKII regardless of model, is made with the Accutrigger. Frankly the SS Fluted barrel and green stock is throwing me off a bit. That price is close to $100 less than I paid for either of mine so I'm wonderings whats the deal. I have both the MKIIBV and MKIITR and both shoot lights out right out of the both. Now even those can be further "accuratized" for less trigger pull below manufacturer specs and even more accuracy. Check out www.savagegunsmithing.com for more info on "Accuratizing" if you are interested.

Shynloco, this deal has the blued barrel, it looks like the TR minus the big bolt knob andit has the basic synthetic stock, I believe it is a Dick's exclusive model. I did look at one today and had them remove the trigger lock to make sure it had the accutrigger. Thanks for the info and I would like more of everyone's reviews on these rifles.

Look in the show your .22's post I have one and it is a Tack Driver. I don't know about the light weight though!! Mine is pretty darn heavy. But its a GREAT SHOOTER!!!!

Last edited:
Savage MKII BV. Fantastic rifle for the money! Very accurate with match grade ammo. For sure get the Accutrigger model.

6c44fc59.jpg

f405ecd6.jpg

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGSavage MKII BV. Fantastic rifle for the money! Very accurate with match grade ammo. For sure get the Accutrigger model.

6c44fc59.jpg

f405ecd6.jpg

Hey Dirty Dog,
She's a beauty for sure! My only rub is with that dang Accutrigger because I can't get it down below around 2.5 lbs. What is your's at and have you had any work done to it? And for sure BV's are tack driver, especially with Match Grade Ammo. What I find amazing is my MKIITR shoots darn near as well with Wolf Match Target that cost 1/3 the price per 50 as the Match Grade stuff.

Mine is around 2-3 lbs, don't know for sure. It's very good for a factory trigger, but not as good as custom triggers. The rifle has NO modifications to it yet other than some polishing of the bolt I did myself. I have been toying with the idea of sending it to Savage Gunsmithing for the accuracy package, probably will eventually, this rifle deserves it...

These are the first two groups I ever fired from 100 yards with this rifle.
bad46776.jpg

This was from that morning's shooting, these are ALL of the groups I fired at 100 yards. There was zero wind for the first few groups, then the breeze picked up a little, you can see my groups shifing around a little.
87df0f23.jpg

I shot these for an informal match a few months ago, 100 yards, both groups are in the 0.7's. Wolf MT.
IMG_1753.jpg

DiRTYDOG,
Sounds like yours is just like mine. And for sure Scott at Savagegunsmithing can get that reduced to around 1 lb or thereabouts. He works magic on Savage rimfires. Might be a few weeks (6-8 weeks perhaps) because of all interest in his talents lately, but well worth the wait. Just be careful with that light a trigger pull if you continue to hunt with that rifle. Don't take much to send one flyin.

DiRTYDOG,
I forgot to mention, you might consider getting hold of a box of Federal Ultra Match (UM22. Bruno's sells it for $14.99 a box and is what the US Olympic Team shot back in 1992 to win the Gold. That ammo puts Wolf Match Target and Extra to shame in my BV. I've shot five shot groups that measure .200 (@50 yds) or even less on a good day. What;s funny is my Savage MKIITR shoots those same tight and even tighter groups using Wolf Match Target. Go figure.

Well dirty dog I started looking at the bv and came across the brj. So now it looks like I need to make another trip to the gun store and figure out he I want a laminate stock or synthetic. I just want something accurate out of the box with most bang for my buck.

I have a Mark II TR with the heavy barrel and I've shot .650 groups at 100 yards on occasion with Wolf Match Target ammo stock rifle. CZ are good too. My accu trigger breaks at 2.10oz Lesser ammo has lots of fliers. Ammo is key with this rifle.
TR-1.jpg

Originally Posted By: Shynlocolayback,
To the best of my knowledge, ANY NEWER MODEL Savage MKII regardless of model, is made with the Accutrigger. Frankly the SS Fluted barrel and green stock is throwing me off a bit. That price is close to $100 less than I paid for either of mine so I'm wonderings whats the deal. I have both the MKIIBV and MKIITR and both shoot lights out right out of the both. Now even those can be further "accuratized" for less trigger pull below manufacturer specs and even more accuracy. Check out www.savagegunsmithing.com for more info on "Accuratizing" if you are interested.

I have done business with www.savagegunsmithing.com and I am quite disappointed with my 17HMR that shoots no better after it was worked on it then it did before I sent it in.

During our conversations Scott indicated that the Savage barrels are not good. So, Scott offered to sleeve the barrel. After thinking about that option for a few days, I honestly cannot agree that this is good option, on basically a new rifle.

This weekend I began an internet search and found Green Mountain Barrels. They offer a 25” 416 SST barrel blank in a 17 Hornady for $99.00 and have 38 in stock. I wondered how come this option wasn’t explored / offered by Savagegusnsmithing?

When I called and spoke with Scott about re-barreling my rifle with a Green Mountain barrel, he did agree to do the work, but I got the feeling that he was not excited about doing it. I feel that he had written me off and would rather that I just “go away”. I am concerned that if I DID re-barrel my rifle and something goes wrong, it WILL be my fault, and could anticipate communications such as “Well Mike, it was YOUR decision to use the Green Mountain Barrel, not ours.”

Consequently I have decided to hire another gunsmith to repair his mistakes.

It is unfortunate that this has to come to this. I have spent MANY hours, quite a bit of my money, anguished over your Customer service (lack of, in my opinion) AND when there is a problem I feel that everyone there would rather NOT help me.

I CANNOT recommend any fellow shooters or enthusiasts send their rifles and money this business.

even if it doesn't have the accutrigger you can drop in the rifle basix sear thats adjustable from 10oz to 1.5 lbs.

zr pilot what kinda groups was your 17 shooting?

I have one with accu-trigger/laminated stock/heavy barrel and like it very much. Great at a range but might be a little heavy to lug around with a bi-pod. If you want to do competition, the heavy barrel will probably put you in a different category than a sport barrel.

Back