need help choosing , red dot or holo

jerry malbeck

I can sure use some input if you would . I am a scope hunter , and have been thinking the red dot or holo sight would suit my calling gun better then a scope . I have a hard time with the coyotes that run in fast at me . Its hard for me to find them coming in sometimes . I was wondering if any of you have any first hand knowledge of either the red dot or holo type sights . and could tell me the good or bad points of each , and possibly the brands to look at and the ones to stay away from . I think it would help alot to be able to keep both eyes open when a coyote is running into your lap . he . he . Thanking you in advance Jerry Malbeck .

Jerry
On my main calling rifle I use a 1X4 Leupold, normally set on 1X. It's a both eyes open scope when set on 1X. Good night vision also. You should look at it. I was pleased enough with it on an AR, that I bought another one for my 10-22.

I think that if it were me, I would go with the red dot over the holosite. I have never used a holosite, but they seem to be more of a handgun thing than a rifle, though I am sure it would work very well. I have used red dot scopes on my slug guns for deer, and I like them a lot. I am currently using a 50mm BSA model, I have tried tasco's, simmons and BSA scopes, and so far, I like the BSA best. Mainly I think because it's bigger and gathers more light than the others for shooting early or late. Leupold of course makes one as well, but for more than 4 times the cost of the BSA, it's not for me!
Good luck!

Jerry,
You didn't say what scope power you are using, but it sounds as though you may have too much magnification and too narrow field of view. I suggest the best variable power scope you can afford, and something in 1.75-5X, 2X-7X, and certainly nothing bigger than 3X-9X. I have been using Weaver V-9 and Nikon Monarch scopes in 3X-9X-40mm on my calling rifles for many years with good success. Most of the time the scope stays on 3 or 4 power. Eye relief is less critical on lower power and field of view is wider.

Thanks guys . Rich , I am useing a nikon monarch 3.5x10x50 But you just pointed out a problem that is my own fault . I always leave it on about 5.5 Thats probably my problem DUUUUH. Ill try cuttin it down to 3.5 and see if it works better . Thanks so much .

Jerry, was using a 2.5-8X on my .22-250, then set up a .243 with 1.5-5X, and that was better. Got an AR-15 and put a Redfield Multi-Reticle on it (like the 3 MOA dot with the circle around it best). Having a 6x45 upper made, and plan to put the 1.5-5X on it. They all work. A crosshair seems to be conducive to better bullet placement, although the Redfield is no doubt fastest.

Tradeoffs..........

------------------
Critr

LW42144.jpg

www.SaguaroSafaris.com

I was using a red dot on my 223, it was great at close range fast moving target, but when there out to 100yds.plus, the smallest dot looks big on a coyote, change to a 1.5 X 4.5, great for short and long, out to 200yds plus.

Jerry, I tried to use a red dot on a pistol for deer hunting. It was extremely bright... until I tried it on a perfectly clear sunny day with heavy snow cover. I could not find the dot to save my soul, even with a dark background.
i had shot it quite a bit on sunny days with no snow and snow covered days with little sun and thought it would be adequate for any condition(s), wrong....

It got ditched in favor of a fixed 2x.

I sure like my plain ole 2-7 with crosshairs the size of fence posts!

Jerry, I've got an UltraDot red dot for my AR-15. It has a 1" tube with a small dot. The UltraDot has 11 different adjustments for the intensity of the dot. It's fine for close in pont-and-shoot, but I put my scope on when there are longer shots and more precision is called for. MI VHNTR

Oh Jerry, Like you REALLY need any help bagging more coyotes.
Red Dot or Holo? What's the matter with iron sites?
Haven't you gotten enough? Can the rest of us maybe harvest a few?

Just kiddin pard, I had to give you some grief.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I've never used either scope, so don't look at me. I just wanted to rib ya a bit.

~River Runner~

------------------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

www.predatormasters.com

River runner , Yeah like you dont whack just as many as i do . !!!! Quit pickin on me !!!! you know how Easy my feelers are hurt .
And besides, I cant use Iron sights , They are WAY to hard to line up . I need sompthing real simple like the DOT!!!! Now nobody could foul that up . LOL . Jerry .

Jerry
C-more sight-in the smallest moa available. No tube, unlimited eye relief! After some practice, mussle memory kicks in. The dot seems to float above the barrel. Perfect alignment is not needed. The dot does not have to be centered. If you want FAST lock on at moving targets comming in, give this sight a try. It helped me in IPSC to take a couple of them shiny wall hangers home. I have also used it on many jacks at night, It's great! At night, just set to minimum light. My opinion
smile.gif
MP

------------------
yotewalk.gif
http://www.predatormasters.com

I use a Trijicon Reflex II sight on a Carbon 15 (223). Just place the dot or triangle on the target and you got it. No on or off switch to remember. No batteries. Don't need to have your cheek anchored on the stock. If the dot is there, it's a no brainer shot. Keep both eyes open to watch the action. This takes a little getting use to. The tendency os to squint one eye. It comes with a polorized filter if you want it, but I rarely use it because I wear polorized sunglasses and together they make morning and evening too dark.

For me, they are useless for night hunting under a red light.

------------------
Blow A Rhino

Last January Jay N. stuck his Carbon Ar-15 in front of me and I could not help but to snatch it away from him and toss it to the shoulder. The floating triangle thing-a-majig always on site was VERY interesting. Man talk about a lite, quick, easy to handle deadly toy. Borderline beautiful in a shootin' tool sort of way. Now I normaly hate the feel of an Ar, but if money was no object I probably would have one of these babys setup the way Jay N. has it in the locker.

Michael J. McCasland

Jerry, for what you are looking to do, I would probably get a red dot. I have had good luck with them. They are fast, clear, and reliable.

I have used the Holo on semi-auto rifles (Galil, HK, AR, and a couple pistols for target practice mostly. Although the Holo was fast and compact, the couple I used were kind of dark to look through and would give you a "tinted" view for lack of a better description. Never used it hunting though. I have used the red dot with good luck though. Never had a problem with dot visibility. The ones I had would adjust so brightly that I usually ran them near their lowest setting. Have you looked at the ACOGs? It would be a drop in the bucket for a guy with your cabbage........LOL
smile.gif

Later, Curt

Back