Shooting sticks or bi-pods?

coyote_220

Hello all am trying to figgure out which is better shooting sticks or bipods? I am in need of one or the other and seeing how most of you have hunted coyotes more than myself I would like your advice on the subject. What should I buy? Most of my shooting I figgure will be from a sitting position. What type would you choose also what brand would you get? Thanks in advance for the input I do appreciate ALL the advice everyone has given me so far!

Thanks All
Shawn

I use shooting sticks, stoney point stixII, there light and fold, and can be carried on your belt, use them with any hand gun or rifle, when needed

Hi Shawn,

I like the Harris S series bipod (swivel)13"-27".

Very steady and easily adapts to uneven ground.

Good Luck,

Vinny

------------------
yotewalk.gif

C_220,

I had a harris bi-pod for about 10 years. Most of the time I went calling without it because it was noisy to set up and made a metal 'clank' any time I bumped a rock or anything with it. When attached to the rifle it also made the gun feel too heavy on the muzzle end for fast shooting.

Then I bought a set of the stoney point shooting sticks. The legs on the model I bought will adjust to any hieght from 18 to 39 inches and this works really good for me. I lined the rest part of the sticks with some moleskin to make it more quiet. It makes a great rest for long range shooting and it's not attached to the rifle so when it's not needed it's not in the way.

------------------
Take care,
Daryl
yotewalk.gif

[This message has been edited by Daryl (edited 06-04-2001).]

I have found a definite need for both the short Harris bipod and a pair of shooting sticks. Irregular terrain does not bode well for extended bipods and shooting sticks are not as steady as a prone position and short bipods on more level ground. Wiley E

Coyote 220,

You might want to check out the Snipe Pod. I looked long and hard for a bipod that would fit my needs for both predator and big game hunting the Snipe Pod has worked very well for me.

It easily folds down to about 6" long and weighs about 6 ounces and it is a snap to take on and off. Each leg can move independently making it easy to shoot on steep or unlevel terrain. They are kind of spendy but in my opinion it is well worth the money.

The Snipe Pod is made by Kramer Designs in Clancy, Montana and as you already know those Montana guys know their hunting and shooting.
wink.gif
Whatever you choose for a bipod or shooting sticks will be better than nothing though. Good luck. www.snipepod.com is their website.

Lonny

------------------

Thanks Lonny I had a friend that had a set of those and they did work well. I forgot what they were called. Thanks for the link!

Thanks
Shawn

Hello Shawn,

I have never been much of a bi pod shooter or stick shooter for that matter. Really I have not warranted a need for one. Especially when shots are within 50 yds on average, 100 yds being a long one. Or so that was the average this year with 75 dogs we harbested.

I have a friend who uses a bi pod religiuosly. When we are at stands he might have his pod pointed in the right direction 1/4 of the time. Then he has to move and relocate and all of that. But once in a great while the pod shines, thats when things start getting out past 200 yds. If your shots are going to be that long then I would say go for it.

While he is messing around trying to get the pod situated the coyote has already been shot. Get a rifle that is easy to point and go to the range and practice up. You will be surprised at what you can do without them. Good luck with your future stands,

Chad

Hey Lonny,

Thanks for lead, that Snipepod looks like just the thing I have been looking for.

I just ordered one.

Thanks,

Vinny,
smile.gif

Vern Howey from Granger WY makes the best shooting sticks bar none. light weight, quite, tall enough and priced right.
Buck GU

Shawn I have to agree with all of these guys , I used the harris pipod for about a year , then took it off . It cost me wat to many coyotes . on long shots they shine , but so will the sticks . I made my own , and love them , as you can abandon them if a coyote comes in where you dont expect it . A bi pod can get in the way and cost you coyotes , go with the sticks ,.

Originally posted by coyote_220: Shawn, As to the shooting stick, give up on this idea! You said you would be sitting, that's how I do it, put your elbows on your knees. This is really stable and gives you a lot of mobility. Jim
Hello all am trying to figgure out which is better shooting sticks or bipods? I am in need of one or the other and seeing how most of you have hunted coyotes more than myself I would like your advice on the subject. What should I buy? Most of my shooting I figgure will be from a sitting position. What type would you choose also what brand would you get? Thanks in advance for the input I do appreciate ALL the advice everyone has given me so far!

Thanks All
Shawn

------------------
Coyote1

Hi, Jim! Welcome to Predator Masters!!!

I sit on a stool. If my setup is in thick stuff, say limited to 50-yard shots, I don't use sticks, but if it is more open, then I use a set made from 4-foot dowels.

If you sit on the ground, I'm with Jim. Unless you are shooting realllllly long range, just use your knees for support.

------------------
Critr

LW42144.jpg

www.SaguaroSafaris.com

Shawn,
Go with the sticks, make your own, go to Al's varmint page and he has some good intructions for shooting sticks

Against my better judgement, I'll venture a negative post...what the hey!
smile.gif

Never had an urge to mount a Harris Bi-Pod on anything I own. Have a set of shooting sticks that I've never used.

Learned in the military, (got in the habit), shooting with my elbows braced against my inner knees; kind of isometric. For me, it's rock solid.

Good hunting. LB

edit: should have used the spellcheck
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Leonard (edited 06-18-2001).]

Back