What grain bullet for .243 1 in 9 1/4 twist ?

kilk14

Okay, stupid question. I just got a Remington model 7 Predator in .243 and it has a 1 in 9 1/4 twist. Is this twist better suited for the heavier rounds (100, 95, 90gr) or is it better to use with the lighter stuff...say under 80 grains?

I would like to load up some 95 grain SST's or something I can use for both coyotes and deer.

You should be fine to start with bullet weights between 70grs and 100grs. About the only way to know what your rifle is going to like is to shoot it...

Yeah, I realize that part of it as far as getting it fine tuned wdchuckhuntr but I have heard some cases where the wrong twist will "melt" bullets if the twist rate and bullet weight isn't matched up right. And with the big variation of bullet weights I really don't care to do that I guess. I'm looking for a safe starting point....nothing more.

As a good "middle of the road" starting point... Try something around 70 grains.

The 9 1/4" twist, depending on the gun, will stabilize a WIDE range of weights. I have a Rem 700 with a heavy varmint barrel that loves the 105gr. A-Max. My buddy down the block, with a light weight sporter model, swears by 58 grain molys. Both with 1:9 1/4 twist.

As you already know, each gun will shoot differently. So a little trial and error is in order to finnnd that ONE special round that not only does what you want, but what the rifle shoots well.

Hope this helps a little.

Originally Posted By: MnYoteRookieAs a good "middle of the road" starting point... Try something around 70 grains.

The 9 1/4" twist, depending on the gun, will stabilize a WIDE range of weights. I have a Rem 700 with a heavy varmint barrel that loves the 105gr. A-Max. My buddy down the block, with a light weight sporter model, swears by 58 grain molys. Both with 1:9 1/4 twist.

As you already know, each gun will shoot differently. So a little trial and error is in order to finnnd that ONE special round that not only does what you want, but what the rifle shoots well.

Hope this helps a little.

Perfect. I'm going to start with a 70gr SP and go up from there I think.

KIL- twist does not matter as much as barrel quality. a 9.25 twist in krieger barrrel will shoot everything into one hole. from 58 to 100. so will an 8.5 and a 10 . i would try a 95 balistci tip for a combo load. coyote and deer.

Originally Posted By: kilk14Yeah, I realize that part of it as far as getting it fine tuned wdchuckhuntr but I have heard some cases where the wrong twist will "melt" bullets if the twist rate and bullet weight isn't matched up right. And with the big variation of bullet weights I really don't care to do that I guess. I'm looking for a safe starting point....nothing more.

Your rifle doesn't fall into that category.

I've shot bullet weights from 58grs to 105grs out of a 9.25" twist with no ill effects other than poor accuracy with 105gr match bullets.

Originally Posted By: RONINFLAGKIL- twist does not matter as much as barrel quality. a 9.25 twist in krieger barrrel will shoot everything into one hole. from 58 to 100. so will an 8.5 and a 10 . i would try a 95 balistci tip for a combo load. coyote and deer.

Barrel quality and who does the gunsmith work, can definitely make a difference. But to say "will shoot everything into one hole. from 58 to 100."

C'mon, get real....

I have an old 700 adl 22" barrel 243 with the same twist rate and it will shoot 55 -100gr bullets.The best part is you can load up the 55s to near 4000 fps if you are into the speed thing.The middle of the road bullets are great combo types and the 100s are great for Deer or whatever.You just can't lose with the 243 as far as I'm concerned!

My Savage .243 with a 9.25 twist shoots 65gr Vmax really well, under 1/2". I load them up over 38gr H4895 and they should be shooting around 3500fps.

Originally Posted By: Irish_80My Savage .243 with a 9.25 twist shoots 65gr Vmax really well, under 1/2". I load them up over 38gr H4895 and they should be shooting around 3500fps. what savage do you have?

Back