22 LR/magnum vs. shotgun for squirrels- age old question!!

Back when I hunted a lot for squirrels (20+ yrs ago), i carried both a Marlin 60 .22LR rifle & a single-shot .410.
That way I "hoped" to be prepared for any shot opportunity.
I honestly couldn't tell you which gun I took more bushytails with.

The same pair of guns went with me during rabbit hunting trips, as well.

I've chased a few this past week with a .22 WMR Savage 93, while out scouting for deer. I've missed more than I've hit because of the leaves still on the trees. A shotgun would definately be a plus but I prefer sniping at them with a rifle, even though this early in the season it isn't the most productive means.

If you just want kill a few a rifle is fun.But if your hunting like a competion with friends and family ever weekend it is time for the shotgun.

Me personaly, squirrel hunting is my time to have fun. While I realize sitting under a tree with a scoped 22 or stalking with a shot gun is much more productive, I hunt 100% of the time with my open sighted marlin 60. Walking through the woods intentionaly kicking them up and shooting them on the run , either on the ground or scampering through the treetops, is a challenge and is the most fun I can have in the woods. Its a low % game, but its worth it. I focus so hard hunting deer, yotes, and other game. Sitting, waiting, calling, all the while not moving, no talking, and other than the moment of the kill, it can get boring. Squirrel hunting is my time to let loose and enjoy the hunt, and at the same time, enjoy the hunting.

Last edited:
Back