need an explination

.22-250man

hello i need help on explaining why my gun shoots 3.5 inches low at 200 yds if i have it sighted in 1.5 inches high at 100. my gun is a nef handi rifle in .22-250 it has the 22 inch barrel. the ammo im using is winchester white box 45 gr jhp at approx 4000 fps. all help is greatly appreciated

I wish I could help, but I shot those when I first got my gun just to get the brass to reload, but they shot fine for me, they didn't drop half of that in my gun.

i gotta wonder if the rail is on backwards if you are havin that problem
i know my handi 204 has a sloped rail with i think 10 moa built in

If your POI at 100 yrds is 1 1/2 high, you should be right on target, or still a little high at 200 with those little 45 grainers in a 22-250. Your right, it makes no sense.

If possible, I'd chrono the ammo to confirm the velocity.
If it's on the weak side for some reason, that may explain the excess drop.

Well i dont have a chrono so i cant do that. maybe i can try some different ammo. it just baffles me that it would drop that much from 100 to 200 yards

Let me take a guess it was loaded with H380 and how cold was it when shot? This is why I've decided to not use H380 anymore, way to temperature sensitive for my liking.

I'm with Mark, it may be a scope problem. to be a velocity problem, it would have to have the vel. of 22 mag. or there abouts.

Its a fixed power scope so nothing was changed from the time i shot it at 100 then moved to 200. And by the sound of it and the enourmous muzzle flash i dont think they are under powered.

It seems to me that it must be a problem with the rings or mounting rail. If the scope were canted upwards at the front somehow, it would have this reaction. Effectively, your bullet is not actually crossing the line of sight if this is the case. It takes very little elevation to make this happen, not necessarily noticeable to the eye.

Try shooting the gun at 200 yards and see if your bullet continues it's downward glide.

Any difference with the type of rest you were using? Different hardness will cause different point of impact....but you probably know that.

Back