Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#1843109 - 02/14/11 10:17 AM The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread
Yellowhammer Offline
Retired Moderator

Loc: Huntington, Texas
For the 2011 hunt we again had an eggshoot, this time we had it at the public range near Las Crueses.

There were 24 paid shooters for this years event, and as you know Specialized Dynamics donated the first Prize which was a Custom AR in .223 and Foxpro donated the second prize of a Foxpro Firestorm.

The shooters were:

Robert Christenson
Bill Tinsley (Old turtle)
Terry Bates (220 swift)
Mark Warden (reb8600)
Travis Kiels
Chris McFarland
Tom Austin (Predator Strikeforce)
Gregg Chancellor
Jeff Preston
Christopher Smith
Steve Dillion
Al Morris
Stu Farish
Billy White (WMS Buck)
Dennis Parrrack
Chris Crawford
Tony Tebbe
David Stroud (Venatic)
Matt Nix
A.J. Duran
James Murk
Rick Robbins (bearmanric)
Leon Rodgers (NMLeon)

The first order was to get the range set up. Myself, Venatic and Chris Moddisette took care of that.

For this shoot, there were to be 5 flights of shooters, with 5 each except for the 5th which only had 4. The eggs were set up at 150 yards, and shooters had 5 minutes to fire 5 shots. If their egg was not busted in those 5 shots, they were eliminated. The second round was to be 3 shots in 3 minutes, and each round after that was a one shot elimination.

Before we could get started, all guns were weighed to be sure they were below the 13.5 weight limit. None really even came close to being over weight.

The eggshoot always seems to generate a lot of interest because everyone likes to see what the other guy is shooting and stand around and talk guns, equipement and loads. I can tell you there are some fine rigs there and many are topped with much finer glass than I can every hope to afford.

The video guys were real interested too.

(Kerry Carver and Big Al Morris)

However, the part that really seems to generate the interest is how a guy shooting a stock rifle, with nothing fancy for a scope and factory loads might shoot better than the guy with the top of the line equipment. The shooting sticks, and the shooter's form on the line is the great equalizer!

How the shooters take their shooting position is as varied as the choice of equipment.

Edited by Yellowhammer (04/04/15 02:31 AM)

"No prize is greater than the effort taken to acheive it"

- Aldo Leopold, The Father of Wildlife Management

#1843111 - 02/14/11 10:18 AM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: Yellowhammer]
Yellowhammer Offline
Retired Moderator

I was the range caller for this event, and after guns were weighed, scopes checked, instructions given and shooting positions drawn for, we got started.

The first round of 5 shots in 5 minutes to break the egg, produced 13 broken eggs. That means that 11 people were eliminated in the first round. Almost half!

The first round breakers were:

Robert Christensen
Mark Warden (reb8600)
Kris Modisette
Travis Kiels
Tom Ausin (Predator Strikeforce)
Jeff Preston
Stu Farish
Tony Tebbe
David Stroud (Venatic)
Matt Nix
A.J. Duran
James Murk
Leon Rodgers

That left a few guys shaking their heads and looking for a crying towel. cry

Steve Dillon

Tom Austin (Predator Strikeforce)
After those thirteen shot the second round (3 shots in 3 minutes), the field was again cut in half! Down to six.

The second round breakers were;

Kris Modisette
Tom Austin
Tony Tebbe
David Stroud
Matt Nix
A.J. Duran

This took us to a one shot elimination. If you break, you are still in, if you miss you are out.

I really put the pressure on A.J. (who happens to be one of our active duty service men!) by making him shoot on the line by himself since he was the 6th shooter. A. J. was a good sport about it, but he didn't let me forget about it at the banquet that night! laugh

After the dust of the third round had settled, we were again cut in half! ohmy

The final 3 shooters were:

Kris Modisette
David Stroud
Tom Austin.

Edited by Yellowhammer (04/04/15 02:32 AM)

#1843113 - 02/14/11 10:18 AM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: Yellowhammer]
Yellowhammer Offline
Retired Moderator

Now that we are down to the final 3, lets look a little closer and give a little lowdown on the shooters and their equipment.

Kris Modisette , who hails for my home town and travelled to his first PM hunt with David and myself, was shooting a Stevens 200 .223 topped with a BSA Cat's eye scope and was being fed one of Kris' pet hand loads firing a 60 grain Hornady v-max.

Kris also killed his first 2 coyotes on this trip, so there were a lot of first for him. Kris was using my chair and stoney point crusader shooting sticks.

David Stroud (Venatic) was in his second eggshoot finals (placing 3rd in last years shoot), and was the odds on favorite if I was picking. David was shooting his latest D-tech creation of Mike Milli, this particular one in 6mmDTI shooting a hand load of course with 75 grainers I believe. The barrel was a 22 inch shilen, a PRS stock, and one of those snazzy Giesel (sp.) triggers.

Tom Austin (Predator Strikeforce) was also at his first PM hunt and eggshoot. Tom also was shooting Dtech creation, this one a .223 with a 20 inch 1/8 twist barrel topped with Lepers scope.

First shot in the finals was Kris Modisette- mmmmiiss!

Second shot, Tom Austin - mmmisss!

Third shot, Venatic - (Kris is sending out some bad vibes) - mmmisss!!

OK, we are all back to even! w00t

Kris is back up and he is cool as a cucumber. He fires- BREAK! thumbup

Now the pressure is on the others. scared

Predator Strikeforce goes snake eyes - Miss! cursing

Venatic cracks his neck, lays down on the stock and slows his heart beat down like one of those yoga contortionists-- Mmmiss!! blushing

And we have a WINNER!!!! Kris Modisette!

But, we still need to duke it out for second and third place.

Tom is back up, and does the snake eyes thing again - BREAK! thumbup1

Now all eyes are on Venatic. Can he do it, or is he destined for a third place finish again? He settles in, takes aim- Miss. cursing

There we have it!

1st Place - Kris Modisette winner of the Specialized Dymanics AR

2nd Place - Tom Austin winner of the Foxpro Firestorm

3rd Place - David Stroud winner of the ...third place trophy lol

(Venatic, Kris Modisette, Predator Strikeforce)

Presentation of the eggshoot winners was done at the banquet that night.

(Kris Modisette, Scottmilk9, Jeff Mock)

(Venatic, NMLeon, Predator Strikeforce, Kris Modisette)

(Venatic, Predator Strikeforce, Kris Modisette)

Many thanks go out to Kris and David for helping set up the eggshoot. David did most of the work for the eggshoot before it got started, and I took over so he could shoot.

We also need to thank our great sponsors Specialized Dynamics and Foxpro for the eggshoot prizes.

There was also a lot behind the scenes stuff handled by mods and directors to make it happen again this year. If you have never been to a PM hunt/eggshoot, you need to start making plans now for next year!

Edited by Yellowhammer (04/04/15 02:33 AM)

#1843136 - 02/14/11 10:37 AM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: Yellowhammer]
Tim Neitzke Offline
Former Moderator

Loc: Michigan
Looking good.
Sounds like some dang good fun too.

Pretty funny the guy that Won is not on the paid list ! lol

Hmmmm kinda fishy....

Let's go Brandon !!

#1843178 - 02/14/11 11:12 AM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: Tim Neitzke]
Yellowhammer Offline
Retired Moderator

Kris did pay ahead of time when he registered. There were also several who registered at the shoot at least 11.

#1843187 - 02/14/11 11:18 AM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: Yellowhammer]
Tim Neitzke Offline
Former Moderator

I know he paid, just pokin alittle fun ! laugh

He wasn't on the list. lol

Nice job on report Sean . thumbup1

Let's go Brandon !!

#1843220 - 02/14/11 11:44 AM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: Tim Neitzke]
ohioyotehntr Offline
Custom Call Maker

Loc: Chillicothe,Ohio
What a great show we missed. Congrats to all the shooters. Takes a little bit of nerves to even set in the first round in front of all those people.
Maybe I can take my BRAND NEW SAVAGE 17 HMR next year and tear them up lol
Sorry Tim. Had to throw that in there

Edited by ohioyotehntr (02/14/11 11:46 AM)
Edit Reason: I'm retarded and didn't read

#1843226 - 02/14/11 11:49 AM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: ohioyotehntr]
Tim Neitzke Offline
Former Moderator

Dustin,
I got a Cooper 17 HMR and I anit afraid to use it. wink

That would be fun, a rimfire shoot aswell.

Let's go Brandon !!

#1843234 - 02/14/11 11:51 AM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: Tim Neitzke]
Predator Strikeforce Offline
PM Sponsor

Loc: Utah
Congratulations again to Kris. thumbup He had a grin all day long that you couldn't wipe off with a shovel! lol LOL! Already looking forward to next year. 1st place is in my crosshairs... sneaky2

Also, a huge thank you to everyone that made this event what it was. AMAZING!

#1843238 - 02/14/11 11:53 AM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: Predator Strikeforce]
Tim Neitzke Offline
Former Moderator

Congrats to all !!

I just got to know......

Who is the guy that has his shooting sticks up his nose ? !!
Well it looks that way ! laugh

Let's go Brandon !!

#1843356 - 02/14/11 01:47 PM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: Tim Neitzke]
Yellowhammer Offline
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Who is the guy that has his shooting sticks up his nose ? !!
Well it looks that way !

Don't be jacking with Bearmanric, that is a new ritual the goes through before he shoots. Sacrificing a chicken didn't work too well for him last year, so he was trying something else.

#1843532 - 02/14/11 04:24 PM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: Yellowhammer]
venatic Offline
Retired Moderator

Loc: In the right lane
Actually I think after missing the egg a couple of times he was checking to see if his sticks were crooked. wink

Jack O'Connor 1963

#1844141 - 02/14/11 10:15 PM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: venatic]
GRIZZLYONE Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: So Cal
Stevens 200, BSA glass, I love it! What does that tell ya.
Better hope he don't show up next year with some good glass on that SD, Grizz.

#1844257 - 02/14/11 11:12 PM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: GRIZZLYONE]
Jeff Mock Offline
President

Loc: Manchester, MI
Originally Posted By: GRIZZLYONE
Stevens 200, BSA glass, I love it! What does that tell ya?

It tells me to "BEWARE OF THE MAN WHO SHOOTS ONLY 1 GUN"

My hat's off to ya Kris...NICE shootin! thumbup1

"Predator calling has produced some of the most spectacular misses I have ever witnessed." ---- Fred Cronk

#1845022 - 02/15/11 04:31 PM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: Tim Neitzke]
RJM Acres Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Ozarks
Originally Posted By: Tim Neitzke
Dustin,
I got a Cooper 17 HMR and I anit afraid to use it. wink

That would be fun, a rimfire shoot aswell.

I'll 2nd that rimfire idea.

#1845209 - 02/15/11 07:19 PM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: RJM Acres]
Jeepdude1987 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Las Cruces, New Mexico, USA
I managed to miss the shoot because they changed the time!!! Well, at least I had decided not to compete. Next year I will make sure to double check the evening before that no changes were made.

#1846013 - 02/16/11 09:17 AM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: Jeepdude1987]
venatic Offline
Retired Moderator

I never heard the time was changed... there was some discussion on the location that had some folks confused but next year we will post a map at the banquet.

Jack O'Connor 1963

#1846295 - 02/16/11 01:48 PM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: venatic]
DesertRam Offline

Loc: Las Cruces, NM USA
Originally Posted By: venatic
I never heard the time was changed... there was some discussion on the location that had some folks confused but next year we will post a map at the banquet.

Early on I heard it was scheduled for noon. By Friday I heard ten.

#1846414 - 02/16/11 04:09 PM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: DesertRam]
Jeepdude1987 Offline
Die Hard Member II

It was said that it would be at 12:00pm on Saturday, and that is when I showed up. I guess the time that was announced Friday evening was 10:00am, but I didn't hear because I took a call from my Marine buddy in Helmand Province, Afghanistan. And, if you look at the egg shoot thread you will see that the round progression was supposed to be different as well.

#1846444 - 02/16/11 04:31 PM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: DesertRam]
fw707 Offline
Retired Moderator

Loc: Roadside watermelon stand
Originally Posted By: DesertRam
Early on I heard it was scheduled for noon. By Friday I heard ten.

Yep, I heard noon too.
I think I heard about the time change on Friday.

Carl Sagan

#1847077 - 02/16/11 10:53 PM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: fw707]
venatic Offline
Retired Moderator

Yea now I do remember Jeff spreading that rumor so he could sleep later. wink Really though maybe next year we will need to post an agenda of times for all events to cut down on confusion. I understand exactly how the location got mixed up due to having it at a different location than last year but the time was the same as the previous years I thought. Also what was different in the rounds from the egg shoot post because I was not aware that we changed that either.
I am asking because I want to try and correct potential issues before next year.

Jack O'Connor 1963

#1847168 - 02/16/11 11:34 PM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: venatic]
sts3d Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Lancaster, Ohio
Congrats to all! I'll be there next year. Anyone got a Stevens for sale?

#1847381 - 02/17/11 08:20 AM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: fw707]
varmithntr Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Minnesota USA
Congrats to all the winners!
MN Advanced Hunter Education Bow Instructor

#1847911 - 02/17/11 05:15 PM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: varmithntr]
Jeepdude1987 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Venatic I will PM you about the differences between what I read and the end.

#1848013 - 02/17/11 06:57 PM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: Jeepdude1987]
nmcowpuncher Offline

Loc: New Mexico
Noon for the egg shoot was the information that I had, it was over when I got there just before noon. Wasn't competing.

#1848022 - 02/17/11 07:11 PM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: nmcowpuncher]
NM Leon Offline
Retired PM Staff

Loc: AZ, NM, TX
We did screw up (not venatic or Yellowhammer), but we'll do better next year. Sorry.

Believe me it wasn't on purpose or in any kind of an effort to keep more people from competing. w00t

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison

#1848962 - 02/18/11 12:33 PM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: NM Leon]
Yellowhammer Offline
Retired Moderator

All registered shooter were in addendance before the egg shoot started.

There were the stated procedure from the eggshoot rules thread.

Quote:
All shots will be taken at a distance of 150 yards. There will be a Spotter target below each egg. Your first time to the line you will have 5 minutes to fire 5 shots. If the egg is broke in your lane at the end of the time limit, you will advance to the second round.

In the second round you will have 1 1/2 minutes to fire 3 shots. If the egg breaks in your lane you will advance to the third round.

In the third round you will have 30 seconds to fire one shot. If the egg is broke in your lane you advance to a shootoff.

Shoot off rules.

Each shooter be allowed one shot firing in rotation. You will have 30 seconds to take the shot. This is an elimination shootoff.

As I stated, in my original post, I gave shooters 3 minutes for 3 shots. No one took the full time at 5 minutes, 3 minutes or 1 minute.

Time was started when shooters indicated they were ready. If there was a malfunction, jam or other problem, a hand was raised and they were allowed to shoot their shots after time I was expired. This has been the proceedure since the first shoot.

This is a fun shoot, and I think all the shooters and spectators had a fun time. I heard no complaints.

If you showed up at noon, we were still there shooting all the ARs brought by the sponsors. It was well after noon before we left. The start time was also posted on the dry erase board in the lobby of the motel.

Edited by Yellowhammer (02/18/11 12:45 PM)

#1857781 - 02/24/11 09:27 PM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: Jeff Mock]
dmpowder Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Jeff Mock
Originally Posted By: GRIZZLYONE
Stevens 200, BSA glass, I love it! What does that tell ya?

It tells me to "BEWARE OF THE MAN WHO SHOOTS ONLY 1 GUN"

My hat's off to ya Kris...NICE shootin! thumbup1

Guess we know who is smarter huh? Goes to show you the cost of your gun or glass do mean everything huh?

$400 rig beating out $1000's rigs haha lol

#1857810 - 02/24/11 09:43 PM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: dmpowder]
Stu Farish Offline

Moderator/Webmaster

Loc: Have gun, will travel
it was fun, it was fair.

Keep calm and crazy on

#1857830 - 02/24/11 09:54 PM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: Stu Farish]
NM Leon Offline
Retired PM Staff

Quote:
it was fun, it was fair.

It was fun, but it would have been better if they hadn't forgotten MY eggs lol

Oh well, at least I beat Rick this year. tt2

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison

#1857905 - 02/24/11 10:37 PM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: NM Leon]
RanUtah Offline
Retired PM Staff

Loc: Taylorsville, Utah, and Manage...
That would be my egg!

Gun Control is hitting your target.

#1857933 - 02/24/11 10:48 PM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: RanUtah]
bordercollie Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Southern NM
I couldn't agree more Yellowhammer. Tony let my son and I watch from the top of his rig. Great seats and thanks to Tony. Shooting the AR's was great. Nice people and great guns.

#1860658 - 02/27/11 02:57 AM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: Yellowhammer]
Jeepdude1987 Offline
Die Hard Member II

I wasn't implying or insinuating anything. Like I said I didn't plan on competing. And, I have mentioned multiple places I got to shoot the AR's plenty!

I hope everyone else had as much fun as I did. And, if they had more fun then I am surprised they managed to keep from being arrested. Cause I had about as much fun as is legal.

As a side note, a set time for the shoot next year as part of the planning for the week so it will be posted in advance and doesn't need to be announced before the shoot would prevent any confusion.

Thanks for a great week,
Joseph

#1875397 - 03/12/11 12:20 AM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: Jeepdude1987]
take em out Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Capitan, NM
Ok since this is the eggshoot thread, I have a question concerning the rules. Are you allowed to shoot in a prone position or sitting only?

#1875456 - 03/12/11 03:46 AM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: take em out]
reb8600 Offline
Sponsor/Retired PM Staff

Loc: Morgan, Utah
Originally Posted By: take em out
Ok since this is the eggshoot thread, I have a question concerning the rules. Are you allowed to shoot in a prone position or sitting only?

No prone shooting. Here are the rules
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...706#Post1713706

Egg Shoot Champion of Champions

#1875475 - 03/12/11 06:16 AM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: reb8600]
seacowboy Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Arlington, VA
I must be missing it in that link with the 2011 rules on where it says "No prone shooting." Unless that was covered in a reply to another thread?

I didn't participate this year but plan too next year with being a little better prepared and knowing a little more about how everything works at the hunt. Was a great time, and look forward to it all again in 11 short months.

#1875486 - 03/12/11 07:14 AM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: seacowboy]
reb8600 Offline
Sponsor/Retired PM Staff

These 2 rules pretty much rule out prone.

2. A shooting stool, pad, or similar device that would be considered customary in a calling stand application.

3. a set of shooting sticks that are hinged, 2 legs, not attached to the rifle, and are customary for a calling stand application.
PS this rule is a change due to the varying sizes of the shooters. You will be able to compete with the gear you use all year while calling predators.

I know it was discussed before and the decision was no. The idea is to make it as even and fair as possible. I am sure this will be addressed and posted this year. They idea is to have everyone shooting basically the same way.

Edited by reb8600 (03/12/11 09:47 AM)
Edit Reason: Reword what I meant

#1878131 - 03/14/11 11:55 PM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: reb8600]
Yellowhammer Offline
Retired Moderator

Yes, I don't know how anyone can shoot prone and still shoot of sticks. Bi-bods were not allowed.

I think we are leaning towards going back to everyone shooting off the same sticks (ie. we supply the sticks). That way the playing field is leveled that much more.

That solves a lot of problems and eliminates a lot of questions.

#1878166 - 03/15/11 12:39 AM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: Yellowhammer]
OldTurtle Offline

Loc: East Central FL
Quote:
I think we are leaning towards going back to everyone shooting off the same sticks (ie. we supply the sticks). That way the playing field is leveled that much more.
I think that will cause a disproportionate amount of problems...

I can' physically use one of those low slung seats and having to use a shorter set of sticks will put me at a severe disadvantage... Ones that are the correct height for me will be too tall for those that are sitting low....

Shooting off of sticks alone is enough problem..

#1878270 - 03/15/11 06:29 AM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: OldTurtle]
reb8600 Offline
Sponsor/Retired PM Staff

There are sticks that are adjustable from sitting on the ground to standing. That way they fit everyone.

#1878474 - 03/15/11 12:43 PM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: reb8600]
Yellowhammer Offline
Retired Moderator

Looks like we will be using BogPod sticks next year. They are adjustable from 22" to 68 inches. They donated several for the raffle at the hunt last year, and as a new sponsor will be donating the sticks for the shoot.

http://www.boggear.com/rld_shooting_sticks.html

#1879891 - 03/16/11 08:07 PM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: Yellowhammer]
DesertRam Offline

Loc: Las Cruces, NM USA
That'll work.

One thing I noticed is that those using chairs with backs seemed to have a distinct advantage over others in that they were able to use the back of the chair a rest for the stock. That sure makes for a solid set up; one that can't b reproduced by someone using a backless chair or just a butt pad. It's almost like a shooting bench. I like to see a contest of shooting skill (or just luck) rather than of equipment. Of course, this year's winner showed that you don't need all that fancy gear to get results!

#1879954 - 03/16/11 09:12 PM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: DesertRam]
220_Swift Offline
PM Junkie

Loc: Central Oklahoma
Originally Posted By: DesertRam
That'll work.

One thing I noticed is that those using chairs with backs seemed to have a distinct advantage over others in that they were able to use the back of the chair a rest for the stock. That sure makes for a solid set up

I would like to see the rules next year say that you can not hang your gun on the back of a chair.It should rest against your shoulder and shooting sticks only.I really don't know but I do not think you could really hunt like that.You sure could not swing around to the side and take a shot.

Due to an increase in the cost of Ammo do not expect a warning shot!

#1879958 - 03/16/11 09:17 PM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: 220_Swift]
Stu Farish Offline

Moderator/Webmaster

I guess a bunch of us will be buying bog pods...

Keep calm and crazy on

#1879968 - 03/16/11 09:31 PM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: Stu Farish]
fw707 Offline
Retired Moderator

Originally Posted By: Stu Farish
I guess a bunch of us will be buying bog pods...

Yep,
and at least one of us will have a new "customary" shooting seat, complete with a back and a couple of arm rests! grin

Carl Sagan

#1880985 - 03/18/11 12:54 AM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: fw707]
Yellowhammer Offline
Retired Moderator

I don't recall seeing anyone who was using the back of a chair to rest their rifle. Not sure how you would do that and not have the butt to your shoulder.

#1881005 - 03/18/11 01:22 AM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: Yellowhammer]
Tim Neitzke Offline
Former Moderator

Originally Posted By: Yellowhammer
I don't recall seeing anyone who was using the back of a chair to rest their rifle. Not sure how you would do that and not have the butt to your shoulder.

Better look closer. I wasn't there and I can see what's going on in the pics.

Let's go Brandon !!

#1881013 - 03/18/11 01:34 AM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: Tim Neitzke]
WSMBUCK Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: ms usa
It happened....

Edited by WSMBUCK (03/18/11 01:40 AM)

#1881059 - 03/18/11 07:29 AM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: WSMBUCK]
220_Swift Offline
PM Junkie

Not real sure what they call it but on the AR's with a butt stock extender,they were hanging that extender on the back rest of their chairs.

I can give you names if you like.

Several people came to me to complain about it.

Edited by 220_Swift (03/18/11 07:32 AM)

#1881093 - 03/18/11 09:05 AM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: 220_Swift]
reb8600 Offline
Sponsor/Retired PM Staff

It was mentioned and did happen. I noticed it in the final shoot off.

#1881142 - 03/18/11 10:00 AM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: Yellowhammer]
fw707 Offline
Retired Moderator

Maybe you're not looking very hard.
Look at the 7th and 12th pictures (that you posted) on page 1 of this thread.

Carl Sagan

#1881143 - 03/18/11 10:01 AM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: reb8600]
rockinbbar Offline
Retired PM Staff

Loc: NM
The spirit of the game needs to be respected.

It's about how you hunt predators when calling.

Perhaps if the person in charge of the eggshoot can designate a couple of observers to notice any obvious deviation from the norm, it can be pointed out, and the person can not shoot from that position.

#1882039 - 03/19/11 11:57 AM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: Yellowhammer]
BOBTAILS Offline
PM senior

Loc: In the sage

There were 2 for sure and they did rather well, imagine that........

Wolves don't lose sleep, over the opinion's of sheep.

Carver Predator calls Prostaffer, Made in the USA!!
www.carverpredatorcalls.com

#1882227 - 03/19/11 05:08 PM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: BOBTAILS]
venatic Offline
Retired Moderator

Just saw this... I confess I got the idea from watching competitors from the year before do it.. none of them won either but it seems to be somewhat steadier for me anyway. I am all for a rules change to eliminate any chairs with backs.

Jack O'Connor 1963

#1882294 - 03/19/11 06:20 PM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: venatic]
220_Swift Offline
PM Junkie

Originally Posted By: venatic
I am all for a rules change to eliminate any chairs with backs.

That is a rule change that I would support 100%!!!!!!!!!!!

#1882312 - 03/19/11 06:37 PM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: 220_Swift]
Stu Farish Offline

Moderator/Webmaster

are some folks mad bc a few guys did this, or because they didn't think of it too? wink

I'm thinking that we just need to clarify it. Either it's allowed or it's not, but everyone knows which it is.

Keep calm and crazy on

#1882326 - 03/19/11 06:52 PM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: Stu Farish]
Jeff Mock Offline
President

As far as I'm concerned, I think chairs with backs are fine as long as the butt stock is resting on your shoulder and not the chair itself.

I hunt with a turkey chair, with a back, and I rest my stock on my shoulder, so I know it's possible.

"Predator calling has produced some of the most spectacular misses I have ever witnessed." ---- Fred Cronk

#1882361 - 03/19/11 07:41 PM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: Jeff Mock]
rockinbbar Offline
Retired PM Staff

As far as I'm concerned, I think chairs with backs are fine as long as the butt stock is resting on your shoulder and not the chair itself.

I hunt with a turkey chair, with a back, and I rest my stock on my shoulder, so I know it's possible.

Exactly. The backed chairs are not the problem. I hunt with one when I sit and make a stand, myself. It's the use of the chair back directly as a gun rest that is the question. It's simple. Just shoot the way you hunt. No problems.

#1882399 - 03/19/11 08:33 PM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: rockinbbar]
Stu Farish Offline

Moderator/Webmaster

Originally Posted By: rockinbbar

Exactly. The backed chairs are not the problem. I hunt with one when I sit and make a stand, myself. It's the use of the chair back directly as a gun rest that is the question. It's simple. Just shoot the way you hunt. No problems.

I agree. So far as I know, a chair with a back has never been a problem. What is complained about is a way of using it to support the rifle.

This apparently has not been clearly addressed in the rules, so one way or another IMO it needs to be.

Keep calm and crazy on

#1882430 - 03/19/11 09:10 PM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: Stu Farish]
NM Leon Offline
Retired PM Staff

It was pointed out to me that one guy was using the chair back, but not until (I think) the third round. If I had noticed it at the start of the first round I would have said something and called for a ruling, but since it wasn't explicitly against the rules and hadn't been caught in the previous rounds, it was let go. Changing the rules in the middle of the shoot would have been a real issue.

Next year there WILL be an explicit rule, I pretty much guarentee.

#1882485 - 03/19/11 10:14 PM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: NM Leon]
220_Swift Offline
PM Junkie

I don't have a problem with the chair having a back to it but I would like to see the back of the chair that is no higher than the lower part of your back.

I saw chairs with arm rests and cup holders this year and I am sorry but I really do not think people drag those into the field to coyote hunt with them.

#1883680 - 03/21/11 02:12 PM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: rockinbbar]
Predator Strikeforce Offline
PM Sponsor

Loc: Utah
I was one of a couple who was using my chair to support the butt of the rifle. As you can see from the photo's, I wasn't trying to hide the fact that I shot that way either. I hadn't broke any rules so I had nothing to hide.

Barry mentioned, just shoot the way you hunt. I use that exact same method to shoot coyotes at long distances that won't commit to the call. Obviously, I don't rest my butt on the back of the chair every stand. But, I adapt to the situation before me and I've learned that I can get steadier using that position and kill coyotes consistantly at distances that I wasn't consistant at before. I use this method when coyotes hang up on me and give me time to get into this position for a solid shot. It's no different than a guy that slips off his chair to lay prone to get more solid. The area's I hunt aren't condusive to shooting prone so I evolved to this method. It's not like shooting off a bench as some have stated but it's steadier than resting the gun on top of my pounding heart (left handed). Hunting Predators, in my opinion, is the ultimate chess game. It takes more brains than brawn to produce results stand after stand. I simply solved a problem using my brain power. All my equipment has been adapted to make me better at my game. That's what the game is about.

DesertRam mentioned that the contest should be about skill alone, and not the equipment. If you want a contest that tests skill alone, not based on equipment, better have everyone shoot the same gun off the same sticks from the ground... That's not what the contest is about. Calling contests don't penalize or disqualify people for using their equipment SMARTER than the other guy! Those who hunt smarter will always have the advantage.

If you want to change the rules, great. I'm all for it. I follow the rules anyway.

#1883911 - 03/21/11 07:05 PM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: Predator Strikeforce]
rockinbbar Offline
Retired PM Staff

Originally Posted By: Predator Strikeforce
I was one of a couple who was using my chair to support the butt of the rifle. As you can see from the photo's, I wasn't trying to hide the fact that I shot that way either. I hadn't broke any rules so I had nothing to hide.

Barry mentioned, just shoot the way you hunt. I use that exact same method to shoot coyotes at long distances that won't commit to the call. Obviously, I don't rest my butt on the back of the chair every stand. But, I adapt to the situation before me and I've learned that I can get steadier using that position and kill coyotes consistantly at distances that I wasn't consistant at before. I use this method when coyotes hang up on me and give me time to get into this position for a solid shot. It's no different than a guy that slips off his chair to lay prone to get more solid. The area's I hunt aren't condusive to shooting prone so I evolved to this method. It's not like shooting off a bench as some have stated but it's steadier than resting the gun on top of my pounding heart (left handed). Hunting Predators, in my opinion, is the ultimate chess game. It takes more brains than brawn to produce results stand after stand. I simply solved a problem using my brain power. All my equipment has been adapted to make me better at my game. That's what the game is about.

DesertRam mentioned that the contest should be about skill alone, and not the equipment. If you want a contest that tests skill alone, not based on equipment, better have everyone shoot the same gun off the same sticks from the ground... That's not what the contest is about. Calling contests don't penalize or disqualify people for using their equipment SMARTER than the other guy! Those who hunt smarter will always have the advantage.

If you want to change the rules, great. I'm all for it. I follow the rules anyway.

Good answer, in my opinion. Tom, if you shot the way you hunt, then there was nothing in the rules to prevent that. thumbup1

#1883928 - 03/21/11 07:27 PM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: rockinbbar]
Stu Farish Offline

Moderator/Webmaster

So far as I can tell the rules do not prohibit this. I'm rather ambivalent on it. We can allow it, or disallow it and I'm not going to be bent in either case.

I was in the shoot, I didn't use a chair. I sat on a 1" pad. I'm not complaining, I made my choices for the shoot.

I didn't see this application at the time, I wasn't in a position to see it.

FWIW, I don't want to see us complicate the shoot too much. No point in a set of rules that look like a phone book. But I do think we need clarity on this before the next hunt. Either allowed or not & known.

Keep calm and crazy on

#1883931 - 03/21/11 07:31 PM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: rockinbbar]
Yellowhammer Offline
Retired Moderator

I agree. No rules were broken, and anyone could have done that they did.

I also saw people propping their elbows on their knees and bracing their sticks against their knees. Nothing wrong with that either, but nobody seemed to mind that.

There were a couple of cases where something was deemed against the rules and not allowed.

If someone really had a problem with it, they should have brought it up for a ruling at the time, but, my guess is it would have been allowed even if it had been since it clearly was not against the rules.

#1883935 - 03/21/11 07:39 PM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: Yellowhammer]
rockinbbar Offline
Retired PM Staff

Only in my opinion, of course....

But, I believe that more rules that get applied to the contest, the less fun, and perhaps participation will be had.

There's already rules concerning scope power, weight & equipment. The main thing is to shoot the way you call, and follow with the spirit of the competition. For the greatest part, that has been the case. thumbup1

#1883948 - 03/21/11 07:52 PM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: Yellowhammer]
venatic Offline
Retired Moderator

When I first saw this post it occured to me that its really interesting how different people react and what their attitudes are. When I noticed this in last years shoot the first thing I thought was " man that's a good way to help steady yourself and why didn't I think of that". NOT Oh man he is cheating bigtime. As Tom mentioned its not how you would shoot for most calling but if you have to take a long shot its a great way to do it.
Heaven forbid if one of us had actually won. rolleyes

Jack O'Connor 1963

#1883958 - 03/21/11 07:59 PM Re: The Official 2011 Eggshoot Thread [Re: venatic]
Jeff Mock Offline
President

I think that everyone has voiced their concerns, and have been heard.

Rest assured, all rules will be reviewed, and the "spirit" of the event will be kept in tact over all else.

The idea of this competition is to promote good natured competition between a group of like-mided individuals, and above all else, to have FUN.

We will most certainly continue to have fun with this event, and continue the good natured competition between predator hunters.

I think we'll shut this one down as everyone's point has been heard and listened to.

Please send me or one of the other Moderators a PM if you have any questions, and thank you for the input.

Jeff Mock

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.