Ghillie Suits?

ZP

I'm thinking of making another ghillie suit. I can get rolls of natural colored jute twine locally really cheap, but need to color it. What should I use to dye the twine without it (the dye) running in the rain? Any help is appreciated.
ZP

My mom dyed some pants for me one time and after she dyed them she washed them in vinegar to set the dye.

They faded with washing but never did run to the extent that it left dye on me like some new pants will...

The dye she used was plain old Ritz dye like you would find at Wal-Mart, K-Mart and elsewhere..

Heating the water the die is in aids in penetrating the fabric also.

Try a small amount and the let it dry thoroughly. After it dries wash it (by hand in warm water (cold will cause it to run) in a solution of two gallons water and 1/2 gallon of vinegar.. Let it air dry.. Do not wring it out.. After it air dries wash it in warm water and let it air dry again..... Should be set for what you are going to do with it..........

When all else fails follow directions on the packet of dye. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ...

Might be some kind of commercial dye avialble out there ??.........James L.

You can order just the colored burlap yarn from bushrag for pretty cheap I believe. Then you won't have to mess with all the dyeing. I got some desert colors sent to me so that I could mix in with the woodland I already had, it was a few years ago but you might check it out though.

Thanks for the info guys. I do have another question though. Has anyone ordered from Ghilliesuit.com before? Wanted to see if they were a reliable source to order from.
ZP

ZP- I have ordered from ghilliesuits.com before and found them to be excellent to deal with. If you want to dye the jute yourself use RIT dye and follow the directions. I believe you'll find instructions on ghilliesuits website also.
Good luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Well, I am using Rit dye, and its working better than I thought it would. Doing some mixing to get the colors I want, but I think it will come out really good. Thanks for the help guys.
ZP

Back