E R Shaw's Custom Guns any good

StrongBowman

Like to have some feed back on ER Shaw's custom work and the MK VII custom gun they can build to order. They build the MK VII on the Savage action with accu-trigger, best i can tell.

This might be of little to no help as it was only the barrels but two of my custom guns had E. R. Shaw barrels and were superb. One was a Tar-Hunt RSG Millenium and the other was a Benelli Super slug gun, both far exceeded my expectations. A quality barrel on a Savage Accutrigger action sounds like the building blocks of a great rifle, IMHO.

Scott

I went to the E.R. Shaw site the other day and did a quick quote on a rifle. Matte receiver, stainless heavy fluted barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor and the walnut stock. Quote was $940 with a 14 to 18 month wait. Seems like a long wait time when they already have Savage shipping them the actions.

coyoteman23

8 to 10 week wait on my two barrels...the same pretty much for the past 3 barrels I've ordered over the last 3 years...no different than other barrels makers. I did get one from McGowen quicker but it still took a month.

You might check the lead time for other "Custom" gun makers, or your local smith...

You have a choice to go where you want, buy a factory Weather Warrior, order a barrel, do your own stock and build your own and tell us how long it took and what it costs.

I don't think it's too long...considering the price and the fact lots of folks want one and Shaw can only produce a certain amount due to a limited work force.

They build to order and the action is only PART of the equation.

Luck

i am very happy with mine(its the fat one one the rt), sometimes they have stuff lying around from nonpickups that can be had for a decent price.
IMG_1988.jpg

Cool rifle Jimmie!

I figure they must be pretty good rifles because you rarely see them for sale. So people must really like them and never sell them, or they rarely sell any guns... I'd say likely the former rather than the latter.

Extremely VERY nice, Luke...did you do the paint job?

I know what I like visually, in my minds eye, but have NO ability, artsy/craftsy wise, to convert it into reality. I've done several "camoed" shooters, but while some like the paint job it's never what I actually envisioned or wanted.

Savage Shooters Supply, http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/, is another good place to go for Savage rifle pieces and parts.

Luck

One thing that has made the MK VII a difficult pill to swallow for me, isnt the wait, but the stock options. I would like some more synthetic styles available, preferably something with a tactical / long range shooter in mind. I would like to learn a bit more about shooting distance and find an affordable rifle to help me start my journey, but I want a different stock than they currently offer. When I asked them about the possibility of aftermarket stocks, they told me that there were none available.

Side note: I am not looking to make 1000 yard shots. But I would like to become a better shooter inside 600 yards. I use my Kimber Longmaster .308 and am learning to make better shots at 300 yards, but havent made amazing shots consistently beyond that mark. With how well antelope see, I want to learn to make better shots on them from a distance, increasing my odds of harvesting a nice animal. Wind has been a really tricky one for me to learn to compensate for.

Back