Eastern Coyote/ Western Coyote

LKVL

I hear it all the time of how the eastern coyote is so much different than the western coyote. What make them diiferent between each other? Where is the boundry line that seperates the two?

I can say for sure you will see them coming way quicker in the western states before you will here in the east.I would
like to see some of these guys who make 90% of their videos from western states show some footage on coyotes, not a fox, from some of these wooded eastern states. The only ones that come close to what we have here in the east are the TBR GUYS and VERMINATORS.
huh.gif

Last edited:
The eastern dogs have some wolf DNA.Are they smarter? No they just have more cover to foil us devious predator hunters.They just slip trough the cover and get down wind and you never know they were there.

Originally Posted By: BAYSTATE YOTEThe eastern dogs have some wolf DNA.Are they smarter? No they just have more cover to foil us devious predator hunters.They just slip trough the cover and get down wind and you never know they were there.

and sometimes they laugh at us as they trot away ....

just to pour some salt onto our devious predator hunter egos..:)

Originally Posted By: LKVLWhat about the coyotes themselves.What makes them different?

i am avoiding this lol, i am by no means an expert and i can see that you guys are curious enough for debate...one i will lose for lack of..i will say this though, There are WAY more coyotes in the west, granted the pop in the east is steadily growing and growing strong. but the el coyote hails from the west therefore the population that way is thicker. maybe what makes the coyote themselves different is the hunting pressure, maybe they tend to like the cover towards the east than in the west. therefore making them sneaky. Another thing to consider is there may be of more food source in the east than west which may make them not so interested in a distress call.

these are my own thoughts, that does not mean they are correct!

Last edited:
Nothing, Coyote is a coyote. I have lived in the east, mid west, and the south, as well as Texas and NM. I think what makes it more difficult for people back east is lower population densities and heavy cover. They respond to the same things in all areas, just in heavy cover you are getting busted and not even knowing it. Out west in many of the places I call even if they circle to get the wind I can see them coming and usually get them killed. Calling in the thick brush and wooded areas here in NM is every bit as tough as calling back east. That said when I want to just go call and kill dogs I go were my success is much better and that is down on the desert lots more dogs and better visibility. When I spend a day on the desert I may cover over 100 miles of dirt road. That is a lot of country to call in. In Alabama when I called there I had a few deer leases to call that probably totaled 4000 acres, the same in Iowa. It doesn't take but a few calls to cover these smaller areas. So I think the biggest contributor to calling success is having access to lots of country.

drscott

So far the only thing I've been able to figure out about them is that they give a bigger target to shoot at.

Howdy brethern,

This is my first post. I've got a LOT to learn from you guys and hopefully, in time I can contribute. Here's an article that talks about Pennsylvania coyotes and how they interbred with wolves thus making for a larger coyote.

Pennsylvania coyotes

In response to someone's statement that western coyotes are more numerous, I read where there are coyotes in every county in Pennsylvania. There are 66 or 67 counties in the state.

Thats true that pa might have alot of coyotes, what about the bigger sates out west, Texas, new mexico, colorado, kansas, wyoming, thats alot of ground in just those few states.

Originally Posted By: LKVLPopulation of coyotes don't make them different.

in that population you would have more or less call shy coyote, when you have MORE of something your chances of getting one increase. i think the western and eastern difference is not just size but the ability to use cover more, the ability to be less vocal than the ones in the west.

what do you think makes them deifferent?

Originally Posted By: LKVLYou can have that in any group of coyotes reguardless of where you're at.

I dont care what anybody says, from what i have read and have been told, there are more coyotes out west, they are more vocal.

in the east they take advantage of the thickness being sneaky. sometimes the coyote wont even come to the call until after dark if its an evening stand here. I have also called to them in a field and they were very nervous walking the tree line the whole time. A coyote out west is used to being called into the open and a critter in the east takes advantage of his concealment!

Back