Baiting

Gary- Congrats, on yet another fine yote. I like the black/white photo, nice contrast.
Scalloper- Way to go on the bobcat! I can see a "Hat in the Cat" makings on that one.
smile.gif

Kel- Feed them what they normally eat. If you have buzzards like many of us do, you'll just have to restock more often. If you're in need of bait, travel some of your local back roads, there should be plenty.

coyote.jpg
This is one that I shot sunday morning at 5:00 am from the kitchen window. I've had a deer carcass 80 yds. out since the week of Christmas. I took a fox and two yotes so far.This male weighed 48lbs on the scale.To bad he was just starting with the mange(tail and butt). The picture is'nt the best, it was taken from my neighbors cell phone. sorry.

Last edited:
Scalloper, Nice looking cat!

Connie, Yeah, I converted the picture to black & white because that one had quite a bit of blood on him.

Kel, I think one reason baiting works better for some of us is because of the extreme cold weather that we have. It makes it harder for the coyotes to find something to eat and eventually they get hungry enough to seek out other food sources. If you can find road killed deer that seems to be their favorite in most locations. Taxidermy shops, butchers, locker plants, etc. often have bones and scraps they will let you have if you ask. I supplement by bait locations with cheap dog biscuits and dry cat food. Scatter it around with small amounts in each spot. I walk a 30 yard circle around my bait and drop small amounts randomly.

JKRuger, Nice big coyote!

Originally Posted By: kelTrying to get started on the baiting but have not had any luck so far.

I had a few coyotes and a bobcat showing up on my trailcam for a couple of weeks and decided to try to bait them. My first attempt has been an absolute failure up to this point. I purchased 4 chicken quarters and hung them in the branches between 3 1/2 and 5 feet above the ground to keep the buzzards from getting at them. 2 weeks and now I haven't seen the coyotes or bobcat since then either. About 5 days ago I cut 2 of the chicken quarters down out of the trees and let them lay on the ground and they are still laying there. Guess the buzzards don't want to waste their time or they haven't seen them yet.

Time to try something new. We don't get below freezing much during the Winter at night, and for this year I doubt we will see freezing temps again so baitcicles are probably not going to cut it.

Need some new ideas, I've seen the buzzards completely strip clean a 10 point buck I found floating in the pond in 2 days so I have to avoid feeding them too.
Try a natural bait like deer parts or any other animal thats native and cover it up with brush to keep the birds from seeing it but try and limit human sent as much as possible. I dont go anywhere near my bait after I put it out.

Originally Posted By: jkruger
coyote.jpg
This is one that I shot sunday morning at 5:00 am from the kitchen window. I've had a deer carcass 80 yds. out since the week of Christmas. I took a fox and two yotes so far.This male weighed 48lbs on the scale.To bad he was just starting with the mange(tail and butt). The picture is'nt the best, it was taken from my neighbors cell phone. sorry.
Thats a nice male coyote (my guess by the wide head) great job...
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: junglekatYou are tearing them up.Scalloper love the cat.There coming after dark on the dead cow,lot of great pics.Can't hunt after dark in KY.
Thanks,its a small cat and I almost passed but I wanted one for my wife. Thats to bad you are not allowed to hunt predators at night.

I've got a question if you save road kill, ground hogs, coon, possum, squirrel or what ever and freeze it until you get enough for a baitsickle do you skin it or leave the hide on? When you make the baitsickle do you skin it?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RodbenderI've got a question if you save road kill, ground hogs, coon, possum, squirrel or what ever and freeze it until you get enough for a baitsickle do you skin it or leave the hide on? When you make the baitsickle do you skin it?
I would not skin it they eat the skin too. And while skinning it that will put more human sent on the bait. Around here human sent is killer,but that may not be the case everywhere.

Originally Posted By: jkrugerscalloper, he did have a huge head and neck. also a very wolfy long mane.
Ya,thats a ausome coyote for sure. I am hoping to get one that big,we have them around here that are big I just have not conected yet. I am skinning all of the coyotes and cats I get and sending them to Moyles to get tanned at $22 ea how can you beat it?

Man you guys are killing me,I have not had a track or a picture of a yote in almost a month.
Got the new camera out and all I get pictures of are crows and bald eagles.
The coyotes in this area seem to run a circuit that takes them about 3-4 weeks to return,hope they show up soon I am getting bored.

I also use Moyle for tanning my coyotes. They do a fantastic job , and i've always been happy with there work.
Yeh this one would have been a beauty on a board , i would have gotten mange too!!!

Scalloper, nice going on the cat.

Jkruger, that's a heck of a coyote you got. 48 pounds, wow!

Trail camera update: I sent the X6C back to the company for repair or replacement, but ordered a new one - same one. The new one seems to be doing fine with no pink or green photos.

The coyote has only been to the bait once since I moved the bait site, but a skunk and gray fox have visited.

I too have noticed that fox tend to not go for the bait. They investigate but don't seem to want it.

Here is my setup. The old site was 137 yards from the blind, a bit too far, so I moved it to
about 65 yards and then to 50. The trail camera is on the post at the new site.

DSC00356-1.jpg

DSC00358.jpg

First coyote with new camera and new bait site

FirstCoyotewithnewcamera.jpg

Griz- Eagles and ravens? Man,good luck keeping bait at that site.
David- I like your new, closer set up. Do you think that is the same yote back?

I've been on possum patrol. Killed 3 the last 3 nights out. I'm still after a big 'ol boar that hits the pile every night. He is a slick one. Gusting winds 25-30mph, I get the night off tonight.

Gobblergetter,

Yea, I think it's the same one. I didn't get any photos of the coyote the last two nights, but he is still around. He is just coming less often now than before where he was coming every night at about the same time.

Yesterday I received the night vision scope, but haven't had a chance to work with it yet. I'm hoping it will work at the new site. I measured the distance this evening to the blind from the post, and it's 53 yards, so if the scope will work at all, it should work at that distance.

Seems I spend more time planning than I do hunting, but the truth is, I'm having a good time with it. I've enjoyed playing around with that coyote and keeping him coming to the bait, getting trail camera photos etc. Once I shoot him, the fun may end for a while. LOL.

David, I know what you mean about the planning part. I am like you, spending much time on preparations and planning. My obsession is stands. This stand I put up in 2008, took it down this past fall (2010) and will relocate it either this spring or early fall to a new location.
JawboneboxNov2008.jpg

Back