talk me out of buying scent blocking camo

d2admin

Administrator
is it worth the extra $?

will the scent blocking feature be ruined if i throw it in the wash?

I'm looking at the 3D camo-tex with scent-blok from cabelas. Does anyone use the same get-up?

TIA

SCENT-LOK WORKS PERIOD!
it wont be ruined in the wash in fact when you dry it the charcoal get reactivated

wash it in baking soda with your other hunting clothes then dry with high heat

bag the scent lok suit and put it on when you get to your stand ater you spary down with scent eliminating spray

this is the process i go through during all of my hunts and i get winded once in a blue moon ulsually because of a mental lapse like i forgot to spray my gear

Brewsky101
I have never really saw the need myself for all the sent free stuff. I think alot of it is over-marketed as ways to make more money. I think this was aimed more at the lazy people who don't want to put forth the time or effort to make a hunt successful( kinda like lets invent new magnum rounds to shoot 200 fps faster and still take the same 100 yard shots???). I do wash all my clothes in sent free brightner free laundry detergent, I then add about 1 cup baking soda to the rinse cycle. I try to take a shower before each day of hunting and not work up a sweat. I bowhunt deer from a well placed treestands and gun hunt mostly from ground huts and a few trees. My predator calling stands are all on the ground where I leave the downwind side open. I live and hunt in Michigan and have not taken a large amount (western numbers) of coyotes but I have been getting them yearly and am not aware of ANY winding me the lasy 5 years.. I have not had a deer wind me in quite a long time (years). Many deer, bucks included were within 20 yards of me and many within feet. I had three bucks (ok yearlings) standing from 1 foot to 2 foot of the tree I was in. Perhaps stand placement I don't know. My dad uses the same precautions I do and we limit out most of the time on our deer. If we don't it has always been our choice. I will not take more than I can eat, Don't give it away either.

This stuff may help in some situations but I cannot justify running out and buying it just because... Perhaps when the two outfit I curreently switch between wear out.. I don't know.

Guys please do not take me wrong I do not think everybody who buys one of these suits is lazy. If you have the money and it makes you confident then go for it. Being a single income family with child I just don't have that kind of cash to toss out. If you smell up (sweat in) the outfit your wearing then wash it. But guess what if you smell up your Scent lok then throw wash and throw in the dryer to reactivate... About the same thing with more cost.

Sorry for being sooo loonnngggg but just trying to explain before I get beat up on "My OPINIONS" Doesn't matter if I'm wrong or not, these are just my opinions and everybody has some.

A lot of critters have been taken before this stuff was around and I'm sure many more will fall with and without.

Skinner2

Hey Skinner, no offense taken. I think you make some great points.

I have a scent blocker suit and I wear it sometimes. I think if you play the wind you can get away with a lot in deer hunting, but in predator hunting they are going to come down wind of you anyway. That's when the suit helps. I don't think it blocks your entire scent, but I do think it makes the coyote or whatever animal think you are further away than you really are. It minimizes your scent but doesn't really eliminate it.

I think if you wash your cloths in baking soda, use a scent spray and shower with something like Ivory soap you will do well. The one thing that you can do, inexpensively, is to get a head net with a scent blocker mouth cover in it. Cabelas and even Walmart has them someimes. About 20 bucks. Your breath will give out more scent than anything else and if you can cover that up you will be ahead of the game.

You can also try a natural scent killer. Go to the pharmacy or a vitamin shop and get some clorophyll tablets. These really work for helping to eliminate your human scent and while the cost over a period of years of taking these would be higher, you get to spread it out over time so it doesn't hurt as much.

Scent-lok may work for deer, but have they proved it works on coyotes? Do you think they can hide the smell of drugs from a dog in scent-lok? Think about it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Of course it does not block your scent entirely. What it can do however is to minimize your scent so that you appear to be farther away, or your scent is older, and this might help give an animal a bit more confidence to come in. I hunt in the woods alot. Not many open fields or deserts here. I think the scent loc suits help a bit. I am not trying to fool a dog that is sniffing my feet, I am trying to fool one that is 30 to 100 yards away. They are not a panacia, nor can you just put one on and become invisible, but they may serve to confuse a coyote that comes in down wind of you. When you don't get a lot of shots because you don't have a lot of coyotes or you hunt wooded areas, anything that I can do to help even the odds is worth it to me.

Nothing to get all flustered about. Just an idea to mull over.

Scent lock suits won't fool a coyote. It doesn't take much human scent to send them running. Unless you are breathing through a filter and have all of your flesh and boots covered in the stuff, it simply won't work.

The only cover scent I use is cigar smoke. I smoke them between stands to make sure I have a good coating of fresh cover scent on me before I walk to my stand.

Bottom line is that you will not fool a coyote's nose. Best bet is to learn to set up a stand so you kill him before he gets down wind of you.

Randy

R Bunker is a smart man and obviously has called in alot of predators. Like Mr. Bunker said, the best way to not have them smell you, is shoot them before they get downwind. That can not always be done, that's why I use the old mist trick when needed.

Randy, I know you do alot more fox then coyotes. Have you used the mist on the fox? if yes.....does it work? I have found fox don't use the wind as good as a coyote, but that's are western gray fox I'm talking about and bobcats don't even know what the wind is lol, Good Hunting

Guess I'll just sell my scent lok suit. If I had known there was only one way to do this correctly, I would not have offered my opinion.

Now that I have been thoroughly trashed by those who do it right, I'll just go put my tail between my legs and curl up in the corner somewhere /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Participation sometimes gets ugly. I'm not into ugly.

Danny B.

I have not used the mist. I really am a firm believer in getting that stand set up so the critter dies before he smells ANYTHING.

You are right about the grey foxes not really worrying too much about scent. Once in a while one will bug out because of something he smelled but not too often.

Reds are a completely different story. Reds use the wind maybe even more than a coyote. When I'm gunning for coyotes, once in a while I'll have one that is so aggressive that he'll burn in without worrying about the wind. I don't recall ever seeing a red come in without trying to swing down wind. They are nervous little suckers. People in ND aren't always impressed that I can call coyotes but when I have a dead red fox or two in the truck, they think I'm some kind of Guru because of how shy they are. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Randy

RB, thanks for the info, I didn't know that about Red's.

TheHuntedOne, all this is a matter of opinion, no harm ment. We are just saying it the way we see it, it don't make it carved in stone. We are all predator hunters and we don't need any hard feelings, if I caused some I'm sorry.

NO Offense directed at anybody. I just stated my Opinions. Due the the fact you had a smiley I don't think you wre offended too bad. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I figured putting my two cents in second everybody would have went againts my opinions.

Everything that can be done may give you a better edge. I myself cannot justify the expense to try that one. MY neighbor who hunts with sent-loc has deer busting him all the time. He says these are the smarted deer he has ever hunted. Since we only have 60 acers and he has 75 we are seeing the same deer. I think he is being busted by movement. WHO knows???

I take all the precautions I can in advance. I had one coyote last winter approach me from behind 20 yards away then left. The only way I knew it was there was by cutting his tracks in the fresh snow. Would sent loc suit helped. I don't think so most likely he had me spotted, I cannot remember what way the wind was blowing. There may be a few coyotes picking me off but I normally have open areas down wind. I don't have a lot of placed to call so I really put the time into prior scouting for the best sites.

If it giver you more confidence do it. I always keep a special cartirage in my pocked for the first shot and replace it once used. Does it really help?? &^%$ nope, just something to do.

Skinner 2

ABOUT 2 years ago, I questioned the valu of Scent Lok, too. To get a reasonable answer from somebody that knew about hte issues, I called the local k-9 cops (drug busters) and asked for input. The first thing I heard from one was "my brother-in-law has a Scent Lok suit and swears by it."
Then I get the whole story about their sniffing dogs. When they go shopping for the critters, about one in a hundred is good enough for their purposes. The really test them. Some just have much better noses than others. And, from those great noses, you won't be able to hide an ounce of cocain if you place it in a plastic bag, duct tape it completely, and sink it in a gallon of gas. The dog will find it. The same would apply to coyotes. The older, wiser ones may just have better noses. And Scent Lok won't fool 'em!

I should just keep my mouth shut, but what the heck.

First, it has been said on these boards that coyotes smell much like we see, in other words, they are able to differentiate different smells like we see color. You then say that a coyote doesn't need much of a wiff of your scent to make him leave the area.

If that is true, then the misting technique should not work because the coyote would be able to smell both the rabbit/coyote urine and your scent and be able to differentiate between the two of them. But it's a proven technique that works.

You say scent lok wont work, and I have to ask, have you tried it? Or is it just a matter of knowing what you know?

You see, where I hunt, coyotes smell humans all the time. Human scent is everywhere. Mountain bikers, hikers, hunters, bird watchers, you name it and it roams through the woods around here. Scent lok wont eliminate my scent, but if it makes the coyote think that that scent is coming from someone a half mile away rather than 100 yards away, I have a better chance of fooling him.

Before you dismiss me as someone who knows nothing about anything, let me say that I have been a bow hunter for over 25 years so I know a thing or two about playing the wind. I may only have 40 or so post here, but that sure doesn't make me wet behind the ears when it comes to hunting. I have a lot to learn about coyotes, I admit, but you shouldn't dismiss something you haven't ever tried.

TheHuntedOne, You said it right about the misting issue. That's something I've been doing for years and I knew then that I was not going to fool the coyotes nose. What I was trying to do was make him take a chance. I want the coyote to think he hears a rabbit like we all do. When the coyote gets down wind I want the coyote to smell a rabbit and another coyote beating him to the rabbit. That's why I use coyote and rabbit urine in a mist form that carries a long way. I know when that coyote gets down wind it's going to smell me but coyotes smell people all the time out here and besides if I get a chance to nail that coyote before it gets downwind, it dies and that's usually the case lol.

Well, it's been a good discussion and I think I learned a bit and gathered some respect for some of the other folks on this board.

I'm going to try a little misting myself. But if I can see him before he gets down wind of me, I'm gonna shoot him first /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

To each their own I figgure. Besides, if it helps get that coyote to maybe take one or two extra steps--that he otherwise wouldn't have taken--to come out from behind a bush so you can put crosshairs on him it does the job. But the only ones who can say how effective it works is the coyotes, and they aint talkin'. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Scent blocking suits will not work on coyotes.Spray on cover scents will not work.Misting down wind will work for a few seconds.Thats enough time to get a shot off.

Why people have such a difficult time with my Magic Mist is a complete mystery.

First, when you are up in a tree stand for all day or half a day, you are at the mercy of variable wind currents. Therefore, if you want to minimize the human scent, buy a scent lock suit. If nothing else, it increases the confidence level; and that's no small thing.

But. A predator stand lasts for fifteen minutes. A smart hunter sets up to take advantage of the prevailing wind, at the moment. He should look for a clear view downwind because a coyte may decide to check downwind. The smart hunter will coax the animal, and attempt to lure him into range for a sure shot.

Sometimes, your best attempts won't work, the animal winds up down wind. Now what?

Most times, they don't even slow down. They are gone when they get a whiff of human and all that he brings with him....regardless of that new suit.

But, wait!
If that hunter has been misting my mixture of rabbit and coyote urine downwind for the entire duration of thestand, he has one last chane at nailing that coyote when he arrives in that clearing that he selected, directly downwind.

The reason is because the coyote will almost always pause and sniff the wind, and stand there and stare intently in the direction of the source of the scent. This is not normal behavior, but it happens predictably when you go to the trouble of spraying this combination of three parts rabbit urine and one part coyote urine, cut in half with water.

Don't ever confuse this method with a "cover scent". It isn't anything like a cover scent; it is a confusing scent, or a confounding scent. Sure, he will smell human, but he also smells what he hears;

a rabbit being killed by a strange coyote in HIS territory!!

There you go, a coyote that should have gotten away, by rights, and he is standing there, waiting for a bullet. Shoot him!

You are welcome.

Good hunting. LB

LB while I agree with most of what you are saying, You seem to emit the western aspect of calling with your hunting style. I know that is because it is where you hunt the most. Wider more open spaces where it is possible to see that coyote before he gets down wind of you. And without a doubt in my mind, it works for you...

Where I live, East Texas, if a coyote ran each time he smelled a human and "never stopped", he would wind up in the far west where you could magic mist him :eek: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Just kidding.

This is an extremely populated area and all that one can do to minimize ones scent should be used. I say minimize the scent because that is all the suit is going to do.. It surley can't hide it but might keep it at a level to not make him turn inside out when he reaches down wind.

I don't own a scent lock suit because they cost to much and I don't think they are worth the money for varmint hunting.

I do however use scent neutralizers and have killed cooyotes in my neck of the woods (literally) at less than ten feet. Close enough for me to smell them from downwind /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif .

Dang near every shot that I get, is at less than 50 yards, as that is as far as you can see in most of the places that I hunt.

The best desciption that I could offer is sit in someones back yard with a wooden privacy fence and try to guess which side of the fence the coyote is going to jump over.

I remember at the hunt in Az. I saw more than a few coyotes turn and run like hell at over 500 yards when getting downwind of me.. Wish I'd had some of that magic mist along that time.

However when we switched to hunting more familiar type terrain(the pine woods) we called one into less than twenty yards. And my youngest boy nailed her.......James L.

BTW I been using that concoction long before I ever heard of you or even had a computer to access valuable information that comes with it from these boards. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Information from such people as you that each one of these guys should listen to..

Back