Ontario callers - 2010/2011 season

Good stuff guys!

I finally managed to call in my first coyote on my 5th set ever on Saturday evening. Was about to pack it in when I spotted a dog making a bee line or me. He stopped 200 yards out and I shot right over him thinking he was about 300 yards out... DOH!

Might have to try that turkey decoy/call trick... very interesting!

Going to give him another crack on Wednesday seeing as the wing should be right for that stand again.

I like just using something simple. Altho it doesn't show it in this pic of myself, and my young apprenctice. ( Couldn't find my jacket, had to use a dayum tyvek suit) My son is just using a Zip up white hoodie and white scrubs ( pant). Even though his Orange can be seen in the pic, when he was buttoned up it was very difficult to see him against the snow. I didn't spend much on our outfits at all. sometimes the KISS method is better.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...1254&page=2

Last edited:
/\ /\ meant for another poast.. D'OH..

Frank it was a pleasure to have you along for that hunt. Def looking forward to next time. We still have LOTS here to wail on.

made a two stands this morning. Very calm wind and lightly snowing I made it out behind my house at daylight and called for 45 minutes with no takers. Went down the road to where I deer hunt and sat down with the turkey decoy 30 yards to my right downwind. I was sitting in a snow drift on the fence line calling down towards a giant cedar bush. Called in a bunch of crows for the first 20 minutes. After 30 minutes I was thinking about getting up and leaving when I decided to keep calling since the snow is very deep I figured it would take a bit longer for a coyote to come in. About 5 minutes later I'm still calling when I see a pair of ears running left to right 15 yards down in front of me heading towards the decoy. I was still calling so he stopped and looked my way and seen me moving to get the gun on him. He takes off and soon as he trys crossing the wire fence I shot and rolled him, he got up and was doing the death spin and I put another one in him and he dropped. 70 yard shot with the .223. Beautiful male coyote, 34lbs.

set.jpg

0207110912-00.jpg

Congrats, nice yote. I know you have probably answered this question a hundred times, but how do you get the illustrations on your pics? Program? It really makes reading your post enjoyable. Thanks.

right click on the photo to want to draw on... scroll over "open with" then click on Paint. Then when your done, save as a new picture so you don't overwrite the original.

that pic is me standing over top of the dead coyote looking back over where I was set up.

Well done on the hunts guys.
Just came back a few days ago to the PM Forums since last season. It's been awhile and I just noticed this post.

Haven't been able to make it out too much this year as I've been extremely busy, but so far I've called 3.

On Sunday I managed to drop a nice 44 pound blonde male. I posted the story in the Predator Hunting Section.
Story and Pics

Good luck and good hunting everyone!

I went out with a friend today at 11:00 a.m. and got the FoxPro setup. Within 3-4 minutes of the e-caller doing its thing I had one appear. It presented me with a 100-110 yard sitting shot as it arrived during a one minute silence pause in my .mp3 file. Long story shot I blew it and MISSED the shot! I managed to cycle the bolt and get a second shot off on the run with the same result. It is depressing to not have sealed the deal.

I think my hunting partner wants to trade me in for a new partner. :)

Oh well, I am going out after work tomorrow to redeem myself. :)

Regards,

Chizzy

don't worry Chizzy. You'll work out the kinks sooner or later and you'll be dropping them like flies. Happens to us all

Where is everyone?

Here's one I got the other day at the back of the farm. There was 3 coyotes out there and I managed to get the biggest, nicest one of the bunch. 38lb male. Prefect pelt on him. 450 yard shot with the .22-250

0215111740-00.jpg

0215111741-00.jpg

Last edited:
Oh we are here, just not shooting any coyotes lately, hoping to get again this weekend....Hey Chizzy did you call that guy out into a field, I mean what type of area where you hunting for a 11 am start? I normally just hunt first and last light, would be interested in your midday setup.. Frank

Last edited:
Hello Frank:

I called the coyote into an open area about 140 yards by 80 yards.

Coyote_Terrain.jpg

The picture below shows my partner in position as I walked to my spot after setting up my FoxPro. I was facing North East when I took the picture. To the North of the area are evergreen trees as can be seen in the picture. To the south and to the East are wide open crop fields with a narrow 15 yard bush defining the southern border of the 140 X 80 area mentioned above. I have called one other coyote to this same spot mid morning in March last year.

Regards,

Chizzy

The calling season has been great for me this year. Sure beats shooting only 2 last winter.

I posted these up in Predator hunting but meant to have them here.

Here is 2 I got up in Central Ont this past week.
IMG00036-20110222-1811.jpg

IMG00040-20110224-1412.jpg

I took these 2 guys an evening apart from the same farm down my way in S. Ontario
2.jpg

1.jpg

I am not sure if you guys are seeing mange in your areas. I have taken 4 this year with mild cases (fur falling off the tail and hind)
I hope everyone else is having a good season.

Adam

shot 3 with mange so far this year. All from the same block. Another farmer down the road shot another mangy yote inside his barn a couple weeks ago. It was hairless and probably didn't weight 15 lbs....

Originally Posted By: fratriNice work Adam.... so is that 4 coyotes in a week for you? Good shooting and nice calling...

I think I shot 2 on a weekend and then 2 more the week after. Thanks man.

Adam

I went out and found a new place to go hunt coyotes last week so thought I go check it out after work today....got there put my gear on, start making my way to the set-up and as I get over the hill in the field I spot 6 deer and some turkeys about 250yds out. The deer spot me and just look in my directions but the turkeys they start running. I keep scanning the area and notice a dark spot in the middle of the field, get the binos out and its a coyote. He is sitting down just looking at the turkeys run off he doesn't notice me. I quickly get down and think how I can get him a little closer. He was out close to 300yds and with the wind blowing I new my chances of me hitting him from where I stood were slim. I put the scope on him and blew on my rabbit call. He lift his head, stood up for a minute and just laid back down. I tried a few more times with the call but he was not interested in eating. The farmer put out a cow the other day and only bones were left, this coyote was full. I backed out/crawled out and decided I had the wind to my advantage and go around and sneak up on him. I did manage to get to about 150 yds from him before I noticed him. He was hard to spot as he was now laying down in the tall grass enjoying the sunshine. As I put out my shooting sticks the coyote notices me gets up and starts running. I wolf him to stop and he is about 225 yds out I take the shot and miss....He runs again I yell wolf, wolf, he stops again and another shot and another miss. He runs again and now stops about 400yds out... I debated on taking another shot then I remember reading DVXDUDE shooting his coyote well past 400 yds last week so decide to take the shot, I guess I am not as good as DVXDUDE
smile.gif
because I missed again..... This time the coyote is tired of hearing all those gun shots decides to run into the bush.... It was a cool sight watching him and trying to take him. I went back to the farmer and told him the story, real nice guy; he was as excited as I was about the encounter. Even offered to set out another dead cow for me... Great days ahead…. Frank

A good friend and myself went out this morning for a coyote/crow hunt. We figured we go out and call for coyote's first thing and then turn our attention to crows...We set up first thing in the morning. We called for about 12 minutes or so before this fellow pops out.. I tell you, before this guy came out we must of had 50 crows come in for a look. I ended up taking this guy about 150 yds out. He came out and was looking at my call/decoy... I was going to let him get closer but could't wait any longer....I shot with the .223 and he was down.... The 55 gr bullet broke his legs and he fell...Found the bullet mushroomed on the ground behind him.... great day for a hunt.... Thanks silversnipe for hosting it was great and hope you enjoyed just as much as I did.....Enjoy the pics.... Frank

Where he was hit and dropped....
coyotedown.jpg

the bullet
bullet.jpg

Me with the coyote
frankwithcoyote.jpg

My buddy with the coyote
dave.jpg

both of us with the coyote
frankdavecoyote.jpg

the set up
coyotecomesout.jpg