your kills with 30-06

I've always liked the 30/06. The one I have now I bought new in 1975, a Ruger 77 with a Burris 1 3/4 x 5 scope on it. Can't keep up with how many whitetails it killed, probably an average of 2+ each year since I've owned it. It's taken elk in Colorado with 180 gr Rem. Cor-loks and the deer with 150 Cor-loks or 150 gr handloads. It's taken quite a few coyotes, bobcats and a few coons, armadillos and crows over the years. As I've got older I've swithed to a 25/06 the last few years, for whitetails, and my son has laid claim to the old Ruger, he killed his first deer with it at age 13 and now he's 30 and is running up the score for that old gun pretty good. He's killed 2 to 3 deer a year with it since taking it over 3 years ago. I'll never be a one gun guy, I guns too well, but if I was going to have just one centerfire rifle, it'd be a 30/06. I don't figure I've betrayed the 30/06 too much by switching to a 25/06, since the 25/06's daddy is the 30/06.

440 yards on this goat

NathanandAnt2009.jpg

Touch under 400 on this one

DSCF2068-1-1.jpg

If I hadn't been being quiet and waiting for an elk, this guy would have been about 6 feet. But alas I was and he lived to be annoying another day.

DSCF1567.jpg

Killed my first deer with a Rem. 742 30-06 with iron sights nearly 40 years ago. The gentleman that let me borrow it back then called me up just last week and said he was 80 now and wasn't going to hunt anymore and would I be interested in buying it as he could use the money. It's mine now. It had a cheap scope on it but that came off 'cause I wanted it back like I remembered. You just cant beat the ol ought-six.

Back