question on changing the zoom on your scope

lon0121

if you site the rifle in at full power and you get good groups, when you zoom out will it affect your bullet groupings?

The only negative effect I see is due to my not being able to see the point of aim as well...
rolleyes.gif

I prefer to zero at full zoom, so I can see my breathing pattern and heart beat and fire accordingly and make adjustments without taking a trip to the target after each group.

Haven't seen any change to shooting zoomed out, and unless you've got a crappy scope (like my old one lol) it shouldn't matter one iota.

Being able to maintain point of impacy throughout the zoom range is one of the criteria for a good scope. Unfortunately, not every scope is a good scope.

Last edited:
lon0121-- I have never noticed any adverse effects and I sight my scopes in at top power. I have a couple Burris Fulfield 6-18x, two Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x40mm long range, two Leupold VX-III 6.5-20x40mm long range, one Nikon Monarch 6-24x50mm, one Sightron II 6-20x50mm, and one Burris Signature 6-24x and haven't noticed groups affected when cranking the power down and taking the shots.

Your answer is MAYBE. they way I understand it, unless its an FFP (Front focal plane) scope $$$$$$$$$, it is posssible. One disctinct feature of a good scope is that the point of impact (POI) will not change because of a shift in magnification. Scopes are so much better than just 10 yrs ago. A good scope such as a Leupold (example) will likely not shift. Lesser scopes i.e. cheaper scopes may. When it comes to optics its always been said you get what you pay for, these days you get allot more. IF you take the low road, it is a risk.

Originally Posted By: lon0121if you site the rifle in at full power and you get good groups, when you zoom out will it affect your bullet groupings?

If your point of impact changes with magnification, the scope is BROKE!

Last edited:
Back