Need a wicked .22 LR bullet

Song Dog,

Excellent post! Agree with you 100% about the Stinger's lethality and also on the bigger, slower bullets for tree squirrels. Regarding the .22 Mag vs. the .17HMR, I also agree with you the .22 Mag's thump superiority. However, on the wind deflection, check out some ballistic tables comparing the two downrange, especially past 100 yards. The .17 HMR holds a slight advantage in every table I've seen. There are two reasons for this. The .17 HMR holds a slightly higher ballistic coefficient and also is starting off at a good headstart in muzzle velocity (less flight time to the target). It's not a really big difference but the further you go from the muzzle, the more pronounced it is. That's why there are so many posts of .17 HMR shooters taking small stuff (gophers, ground squirrels, crows, etc.) out to 200 yards. You rarely read that about the .22 Mag. Yes, I know the .17 HMR has a trajectory advantage but it's not so flat that you don't have to hold over for 175-200 yard shots. It's wind deflection that's the key variable at the further ranges. The .17 HMR, while by no means a .223, does best the .22 Mag....in wind deflection.
Check out any table comparing the two. They all support what I just wrote.
Thanks For the Reply,
Mike

Originally Posted By: gary paughI like WW power points They hit very hard. This is the end of the thread. Nothing else needs to be said.

There are so many 22 ammunitions to select from it will drive you crazy. I have tried just about every make and model. When in the army national guard I was on the rifle team and we shot Eley match ammo. Had forgotten about it because I'm close to collecting my social security and about three months ago I remember about it. Purchased Match EPS USA (brick) 22LR 1085fps Lead Solid EPS Profile 40 gr. 500 rounds for $118.08. Kindy pricry, but at the 25 meter target the grouping was amazing. After a while I had to change the target because the rounds were going in the same whole. The Eley's are just about all I shoot. Also Wolf makes an excellent ammo for the 22. I tend to
Match Target 40gr Solid Round Nose coming out of the barrell at 1050 fps.
All other posts are excellent ammo, just remember all rifles do not shoot the same. Trial and error with different ammo will lead you to the right munitions that your rifle will need to make you happy.

Originally Posted By: Nick_TMight I recommend CCI Quik-Shoks, segmented bullets, if you are using bolt actions. I'm not fond of running hyper speed stuff through simis. Bought a box and shot a few squirrels with them last season, they're devistating, but a bit pricey.

Nick T

YES quick shocks all the way. use them on montana gophers... tore them up i even got a case of them because they went on sale. i was lucky too the sold out the next day.

i use them in a Remington model 504 with a 3-9x40 leupold scope very acurate setup

Back to Aguila Super Maximum. I recently purchased a box of those in 30 grain but haven't fired any yet. I got them out of curiosity and to see how they group and perform.

Does anyone have experience with these? Fragile? What about for groundhog size animals, too fragile? Just hoping to hear what others have to say.

CCI Stingers is my advice. Not only will they give you a quick kill, but will clear up any jamming problems you may have--regardless of the gun. A little pricey, but worth the money. Just my 2 cents.

Winchester power point hollow points/CCI mini mag hollow points / I've never had a gun that did'nt like either one and they both do a great job.

Originally Posted By: Bernie P.I just tried SK Standard Plus in my Savage BV.Wicked accurate but I haven't tried them on critters yet.
I used these all this year and they did fine on squirrels. Even killed a coyote while squirrel hunting with a 30yd neck shot. Very accurate ammo in all my .22's.

Back