Practice makes perfect

VCinRI

A little tip I would like share, especially with newcomer's of the sport. A good key to success in predator calling is to practice our shooting ability. We all are accurate off the bench, taking our time with no adrenaline flowing. In the field the circumstances are different, often with the lack of a steady rest, the excitement, having to shoot from a awkward position are all factors we sometimes have to contend with.
Next time at the range, try some sitting shots, over booth knees, over one knee, slightly leaning perhaps. You may be surprised on how the accuracy may change.
This important factor to all hunting is sometimes overlooked.
Good Luck,
wink.gif

VCinRI

Hay there VC, that's about as good of a tip as there is. Not just for preditor hunters, but all hunters. Always amazes me that some bowhunters will practice for months to bow hunt, and when it comes to a rifle, they sight it in and their ready to hunt. I love to ask em, hay that rifle shoots good, but how good can you shoot that rifle.
Here's another tip. Get a 22lr that feels close to your hunting rig. Ballance, weight, length. Work the handgrip, stock rise, fore arm and trigger. then you got a real cheep practice rifle that you can shoot the hound out of and get that marksman level of shooting. JB

When I first started shooting rifles my father would make me run until I was wore out (breathing heavily) then I would shoot in many different positions. The reason for getting your heartrate flyin and your breathing heavy is to simulate adrenaline flow. Do this and it will make you a better shot when it really counts.

RK

------------------
Idle hands may be the devils work, but idle minds are so much worse

Your Dad had a good idea, but how can we get a beginner to simulate pissing in their pants the first time they turn their head and a coyote is standing about ten feet from them??? Or was it just me?

Bob

Great info VCinRI & Ryank,most hunters get all hung up on sub minus 1"groups for there favorite weapons.Like I tell some,No benches and sandbags where I hunt.When on my Yote stands rifle has a Bipod and 3 1/2" Browning across my lap loaded with #4 BUCK.That shotgun helps bring up MY Average up ---

azbiggame,

I am one of those hunters your talking about. All my rifles are well under one inch group shooters. If I buy a rifle and it won't give me at least one inch at a hundred it gets traded in the very next day.
biggrin.gif

I know that alot of people think that pinpoint accuracy isn't a huge factor, and in some cases that may be true. But as for me I will stick with the sub moa's for the rest of my life. Even if it isn't needed it gives me that extra little bit of confidence.

RK

------------------
Idle hands may be the devils work, but idle minds are so much worse

Plastic milk jugs filled with water. Take em out to where you hunt and set em out 100,200,300,400 and 500. Shott the 100 off hand standing and the 200 and 300 sitting and the 400 and 500 prone. The key is to do it alot

------------------
Pain is just weakness leaving your body

Make sure that after you are done shooting all those plastic milk jugs that you clean up the shredded plastic and haul that plastic to the garbage can. "Cleanliness is next to Godliness."

Back