GPS?

Sharps Shooter

Can't wait to get this chemotherapy over with so I can start my new hobby of coyote hunting. But I DO have my cabelas catalogue, the internet, and this site to whet my whistle. I purchased a map the other day and noticed that there were longitude and latitude noted on it in many places, so it got me to thinking (a ba thing!)

I figure a GPS would be a nice thing to have to verify your map position and compass readings. Does any of you have GPS, or better said, which is probably the better model to get at a reasonable price.

Can't wait!

Regards,
Sharps Shooter.

Sharps:

Good luck with the chemo, been there-done that....

I started a similar thread - see OTHER CALLING EQUIPMENT-GPS&TOPO.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of response, but what is there is good. I would like to see more, as the technology is there, and it is good for tracking and recording information.

However, with all of the old mountain men on this site I fully understand that they prefer that we still keep our Daniel Boon skills up to date too. ;-)

Originally posted by Sharps Shooter:
Can't wait to get this chemotherapy over with so I can start my new hobby of coyote hunting. But I DO have my cabelas catalogue, the internet, and this site to whet my whistle. I purchased a map the other day and noticed that there were longitude and latitude noted on it in many places, so it got me to thinking (a ba thing!)

I figure a GPS would be a nice thing to have to verify your map position and compass readings. Does any of you have GPS, or better said, which is probably the better model to get at a reasonable price.

Can't wait!

Regards,
Sharps Shooter.

Sharps SHOOTER, LET ME KNOW WHEN YOU ARE ABOUT. I live in Penrose I have played a little with a GPS. It sure is interesting. I have a good place to shoot. And I know A lot more about shooting, reloading, hunting, and just about any thing, better than this dam computer

Sharps Shooter, welcome to Predator Masters! Best of luck with you chemo. I use a Garmin ETrex Venture GPS. It's a lot of unit, considering the price I paid for it. The GPS can be used to mark your favorite places, and it can also have data input from a mapping program. This data can then be used for waypoints and/or places that you may want to visit. All in all, it's a great tool for hunting and just finding your way around in an unfamiliar area. BTW, don't forget a compass and a paper map. MI VHNTR

I have been using a GPS for about five years, I have hundreds of waypoints and routes archived. I never leave home without it. I find it to be particularly useful for backtracking. Get a Garmin.

Good hunting. LB

Back