Set-up at stands

steve allen

Here is a trick that we use if there are 2 of us hunting. The guy who is going to call faces upwind at the designated location(generally a high point for better observation). The 2nd hunter sets up 50 yds or so straight downwind of the caller and facing the opposite direction (facing straight downwind). Don't get to far away, because you could wind up with a coyote between you and nobody can shoot it then. The downwind man's function is to cut off those smart-aleck coyotes that think they have it all figured out by approaching the stand from downwind via the low ground.

When they start this game all their attention is focused on the sound, and they have absolutely no clue about the downwind man. You really do surprise these coyotes--we're talking hardball now! Generally, I whistle loudly and they always clamp on the binders, guaranteed. They have absolutely no clue what is going on now--they just stand there. If there are multiple coyotes the downwind hunter shoots the one in front and gets on the distress call, and the caller takes the next one that stops and gets on the distress call. Then it is bedlam. Guns going off, coyotes dying, distress calls from everywhere; what's a mother to do.

This kind of a set-up if it works right can leave you with multiple dead coyotes (maybe all of them) and empty brass laying all around you.

Now you're hitting a 10 on the old fun meter!

This is not only an interesting topic, but one which can make all the difference between an empty bag and fur on the ground. So there are questions to be answered, and the more input the larger the sample of knowledge, so chime in with your experiences.

If you have caught sight of coyotes circling downwind, how far from the call/caller were they? What kind of terrain was it? How heavy was the brush, ie, how far could you see? Were you hunting with a partner? If using an electronic, were you at the caller? Downwind from it? How far? Crosswind? How far? How hard was the wind blowing? What can you conclude about hunting pressure in your area, based on your observations of whether the coyotes circled, and how far out they circled? Did the time of the year play a role in their behavior?

I could go on infinitum, but you get the idea. It can depend on many factors, many conditions, and on individual coyotes.

Let us know your experiences, and, given enough input, maybe a pattern will emerge under a specific set of conditions.

------------------
Critr
www.SaguaroSafaris.com

Critr gitr--Not to many bites on this topic. I was surprised myself; I thought everyone would have something to say about this one. Better luck next time, I guess.

Okay, okay!

Just the question about circling down wind. This is something, like when will the fish bite? My experience is that when conditions are really good, thank the gods! Coyotes don't need to circle downwind, they respond straight to the call. A less desirable situation is when you have an animal that has his own reasons, and suspicions, and decides that he wants to check the wind. This is understandable, and it is recommended that you try to get him to stop for a shot before he gets there. Coaxing and assorted lip squeaks is about your only remedy, so keep your fingers crossed. Usually, an animal that is going downwind will not change his mind about doing so, and charge in to the call. He will pause, and consider your noises, and if you don't shoot him, will continue in the down wind direction, or worst case, he has seen enough and will turn and head out, or sometimes, re-trace his path. This is quite familiar behavior.

But, the question is; what distances are involved when a coyote feels the need to circle downwind, instead of a direct approach? You cannot predict this with any certainty. It has to do with "conditions" and nothing to do with geography. Again, like what provokes a school of yellowtail to start striking at the crack of dawn. Who knows? Some days, they might circle down wind, and maintain a two hundred yard distance the entire way. Is it because the wind is blowing at seven miles per hour? I don't know. But it is often a pattern. Sometimes, they circle, through no fault of yours, at twice that distance. It doe not mean that youblow a phoney call, it means the coyotes are just being coyotes. I see consistant behavior, during specific periods of time. One minute they are spooky, the next all of them get stupid, and come in on a beeline.

It's the same with howls, Howling, all kinds, as a response to your distress sounds, is a burden we all face from time to time. It changes the picture. But, they aren't inclined to do it for days on end. However, it is my feeling that when these conditions exist, they are all going to respond this way for however long it takes for them to snap out of it. Usually, howling coyotes can be turned into visible coyotes, instead of invisible coyotes, a subject for future consideration.

I will say one thing about stationing a hunter downwind of the calling location. You never know if this guy is going to die of bordom, or get a few shots, or maybe he didn't go quite far enough, (?) and neither hunter scores. At least on the "circlers". For those situations (conditions) where the coyotes are responding directly, the downwind guy is going to feel left out. Nothing is graven in stone, ya know?

Now, another topic for review might be "crosswind".

Good hunting. LB

If I'm on the right(not right or left, but right) side, either downwind or crosswind, do you think the caller is gonna' get a shot? NO! Not anymore anyway. Just Kidding Bus-Bus.
Both ideas have worked for us and both have failed. Whatever is to be will be, huh?
I have noticed, at night, that the coyotes where we hunt will circle downwind dang near every time. Usually, we have someone downwind at night with a squeaker and a light and a gun, of course, duh.

------------------
B.Pierce

Leonard--Do you know how to move this topic over to the Predator Hunting forum? It might get more activity there, or is it ok where it is. Feel free to do so; what do you think?

No, I can't do it, but Critr Gitr can, if he wants. Personally, I think it is more fair to him, to have the traffic in his forum, but there is no doubt that it would receive a more thourough wringing out in the Predator Forum, just because of the number of visiters that can't take the time to scroll down, but (do) check the posts in Predator Hunting.

One idea might be to move the entire Forum up, and bunch all the predator hunting forums together in close proximity. Let the reader see all the available options, at a glance. I believe there is something that can be done about the progression, or transition from one topic to another, rather than haphazzard or just at random. I'm not suggesting that it wasn't designed with care, but there might be a different method that would distribute the load to more appropriate sections of the Board.

Good hunting. LB

Hi guys. I am not ignoring you, but rather trying to absorb comments and consider what is wrong. And SOMETHING is wrong.

I notice that in "Predator Hunting" there is a topic "wind direction", and those who have posted in that subject have not posted here. Just as if they are unaware of this one.

Let's be clear from the start that what is fair to me is not a consideration. The concern, and the ONLY thing to be considered, is what is best for the board. I am not protective of turf, but just trying to help out where I can.

The topic seems properly placed. It IS a technique.

Several things could be considered. One is just abolish the topic, and drop it all into "Predator Hunting". Another would be to combine it with "Other Calling Equipment" (this was a thought voiced by Craig).

But I think Leonard hit on something. Many members are not going to scroll past big game and bird hunting, and several other topics to get to something else about varmint hunting. Grouping the forums by general topic seems to have a lot of merit. And while it is fine to have other hunting topics for those interested in them, this is primarily a predator hunting board, and that should be grouped together, front and center stage.

I do not know what difficulties are involved in rearranging topics, or if there are reasons not to do it, but if it is reasonable to do and Will has no problem with it, it seems that this would be a better order:

Member Club House.
Important Messages For All Members.

Predator Hunting.
Hand Calls.
Electronic Calls.
Other Calling Equipment.
Other Critter Getting Techniques.
Night Calling.
Calling In The East.
Predator Biology.

Firearms.
Reloading.

Trapping And Fur Handling.
Big Game Hunting.
Bird Hunting.

Photo Gallery.
Political Front And Public Relations.
Moderators/Administrators.

(The spaces between lines mean nothing, other than to clarify my thinking on catagories of topics.)

Soooooo, comments???

------------------
Critr
www.SaguaroSafaris.com
fea82840.jpg

http://www.predatormasters.com/

Yeah, you got it, Critr. Just logical groupings. There are a number of arrangements that would work, yours is a working example. The present order shows some thought, but also some random injections. Another would be to combine Critr Gitr and Craig under a single forum. Not trying to run anything, just looking to improve the navigation.

One thing. It is possible that "moving" amounts to "deleting" and these Boards have a problem with that, and still saving the content. I'm not exactly sure about that?

Good hunting. LB

This is great discussion. This type of post really helps , I just wish I had something to add. I am all ready excited for next fall and winter. Keep up the great work and I will keep learning!

My trigger finger is inching...I think I need to go practice with my calls!

Steve

------------------
pmcatsig.GIF

http://www.predatormasters.com

Steve, Critr Gitr, Leonard,

If I might interject my comments, as an infrequent poster but daily lurker, about the placement or content of the forums. I check out 3 bulletin boards daily. I always use the "today active topics" option. Since I visit everyday I keep up on what is being talked about and select those post that I have an interest in. So the proposed extra work you are considering is not necessary for someone like me. For what that is worth.

It is obvious that all of you are trying to make the board better. It is my observatin from visiting 3 boards that Predator Masters consistantly has the most traffic. Good Job, Thanks.

Bill

OK, since this thread started out about stand setup, I'm going to share one with you guys that I have not seen mentioned. Placing a hunter not nessesarily downwind but where he/she can also cover the downwind side works good on call shy coyotes sometimes but...
A stand that is really fun and works good is to set up about 30-50 yards apart facing each other. You can use small hand signals to let each other know what is going on behind the other and both hunters are covering different areas. You can also see the look on your partner's face when something comes in and surprises him!

One time a buddy and I were using this setup when I called in a javalina. I ended a series of squeals on a hand call and when I stopped calling I heard something running and woofing behind me. I looked over my right shoulder and this javalina was running at me at about 4 feet. I jumped off the ground yelling some obsene things at the pig and swung at him with my rifle stock as he went between me and the bush I had been backed up to. Then I remember saying some obsene things to my buddy while he was busy rolling on the ground and laughing his a$$ off.
Y'all take care,
Daryl

[This message has been edited by Daryl (edited 04-29-2001).]

Back