Looking for a new shotgun

yotehunter57

It's a "catch 22", I need a LIGHTWEIGHT 12ga 3 1/2" semi auto for goose hunting. Recoil is not a problem, but weight is.
It would be nice if it was affordable also.
I'm wanting to sling some serious shot at some snows and blues.

Shayne

As light as possible, in a semi auto.
I've got a friend who is a goose hunting maniac, and he has convinced me to hunt with him. He mostly does spot and stalk on snows and blues. There have been very few days since season opened that "gooseman" hasn't killed his limit of 20.
I've got an 835, but would like a semi for fast shooting when they get up.
Gooseman and a buddy who hunts with him on weekends got 40 yesterday morning and 40 again this morning. He gives 90% of the geese he kills to poor families in the area.
When the conservation ordes starts in just over a week, his numbers will go up, normally quite a bit.
I would like a gun to throw some 3 1/2 Ts and BBs.

Shayne

I read you already have a Missberg 835 pump. Do not,buy the 935! One shot boat anchors...I am sorry I purchased one. Sent it back to Missberg and they sent it back..the same way I sent it.....No note, no nothing. Worst semi-auto ever..

My vote also goes for the Beretta Xplor..

Winchester super x3. Decided after taking the packing grease out I wouldnt clean this gun until it had jammed from being too dirty(arguement with dad). 250 ducks 160 geese countless doves, 4 turkeys and a coyote (2 years) I still havent cleaned it and it still hasnt jammed. you will never regret it

One of the guys who owns the gun/pawn shop I frequent bought an SX3 and does nothing but brag on it. The other guy has a SBE II and loves it also.
The price $$$ is the only thing stopping me from either one.
I watched them pawn a SBE for $400 yesterday. I told them, if he didn't come back, call me immediatly. I liked the 30" barrel on it.

Shayne

If you have some time to watch at cabelas I got my sx3 for 850 around thanksgiving and it came with a $250 gift card for buying the gun and a pure gold choke tube. Couldnt beat that in my opinion

Beagler, Tyler, Thank you for your help. Those are some really nice guns you got.
Tyler, did you find your gun online or were you at the store? I'm quite a ways from a Cabelas.
I'll ask my gun shop their bottom line price on these guns.
Again, thanks fellas.

Shayne

I had been searchin for a 28 inch barrel for some time at local gun stores and cabelas was all that had it. I know they can ship to an ffl but if your anywhere near macks prairie wings you got a very good place to buy any gun u want... been there once. possibly the coolest store in the states

Tyler,
You've had much better luck with the SX3 than my son did with his. His gun shot about 30" high and 18" left at 40 yards and locked up repeatedly. Notice I said locked up? It didn't jam, it locked up like a bank vault requiring it to be disassembled to clear the danged thing. Rather than mess with customer service and jack around with it, it went off in a trade back to the dealer he bought it from for a new Benelli Vinci. My son gave the dealer full disclosure on the problems and to the dealers credit, he gave my son full value and said he'd deal with the fix.

I'm about an hour from Macks. I don't think of them very often for guns even though I bought my wifes 25WSSM A Bolt from them.
I may have to slide down there and see what I can't afford. LOL
My gun/pawn shop does me pretty good, if they can get a good price on a gun.

Shayne

Im sorry your son had such a hard time with it. Ive never been able to fit a benelli their low profile just doesnt fit my cheek bones but I know tons of guys who swear by them. Ive owned literally dozens of berettas and remingtons and my sx3 is like a dream come true for me. Fully customizable for length and for those who like a high profile rib it fits me beautifully. Maybe your son got a lemon or i got a stud. How is that vinci?? my lil brother has been saving for one for months and Id like to tell him your report GC

I think my son got a lemon, lots of guys like their SX3's. All companies let a dud out the door occasionally. Some SX3's do seem to have a problem that is common enough though. Evidently it isn't uncommon for the gas valve to break a spring on the inside of the unit. Winchester will send you a new unit - once. If it breaks again you pay. That is a commonly reported problem.

Right up front, let me get this out of the way – I tried to get my son to buy a Benelli M2. I have two M1S90’s and he could have had that same proven platform in the M2 along with the Comfort Tech Stock and saved about $200 on the purchase price. But he had to have something different than me, something not quite so old school as Dad’s shotgun. As an example, when he bought his Beretta O/U, he bought a different model than I have just to be different… kids - LOL! So far, he loves the Vinci. Honestly we haven't shot it enough yet to give it a real workout. I think he has put about 200 rounds through it on the Sporting Clays course. It handles very well for him and patterns beautifully with a perfect 60/40 pattern. If he misses, it isn't the gun. He loves the gun so far. It does swing well and points naturally for me also. I shoot it well. We're shooting some Sporting Clays and pheasants at a local place Saturday and then we'll be getting it ready for turkey season. I’m shooting my Beretta O/U and he is going to use the Vinci Saturday. We’ll see who shoots better!
wink.gif

With that said I am an old school Benelli M1S90 user with two of them in the safe, so the Vinci was interesting for me to fiddle with. I've owned a lot of various shotguns and this new design is completely different than anything I'm accustomed to. It's new to him so he has no complaints or bias, but there are three things I dislike. First, I have smallish hands and the Vinci is "tall" right where the balance point is making it hard for me to one hand pack it. He is a size bigger than I am, so maybe it won’t bother him. Two, the safety button is in front of the trigger. That is something I really dislike and is a real stretch for me to reach. Many guns are like that and if you become used to it, then it is second nature. I would have to retrain my muscle memory to use that gun fast. And last, the danged bolt handle sticks out about in the middle of the receiver instead of at the front where the bolt/barrel locks together. This is odd placement from where most guns have the bolt handle. Benelli may have put it there because that area of the receiver is kinda tall and they want you to shift your hand forward in front of the bolt handle for that one hand grasp. I don’t like it. With the hand in front of the bolt handle it wouldn’t be too hard to bump the bolt out of battery backwards leaving you with a “click” instead of a “bang” when you need it. When I one hand my M1’s the natural grasping point is right at the back of the bolt handle so your hand is always pushing the bolt forward and keeping it in battery. I’m probably making too much of that stuff and is purely subjective. The Vinci flows to the shoulder and shoots great, so all my petty gripes aren't a big deal really. I wouldn’t let my bias influence anyone too much. It didn’t my son…
smile.gif

Ive never had a safety in front of the trigger other than havin to pickup my buddys nova while pickin up decoys. I didnt get a shot off cuss i couldnt find the safety so Id prolly stickwith what Im used to too. The bolts on benellis and remingtons seem to have the bolt handle in the same location from the butt of the reciever whether its 3 inch or 3 and a half. the 3 and a half just seems to have an add on on the front of the bolt forcing the bolt handle to be more awkward with 3 and a half inch guns

Back