Nikon Scopes- Good or Bad?

coyotekrazy

I am looking for a scope for my new Rem 700 22-250. I have been looking hard at the leupold Vari-X II 4x12x40. My gun smith who sells both Nikon and Leupold told me that Nikon is just as dependable as Leupold. I could buy a Nikon 4.5x14x40 for about the same price as the mentioned Leupold.
I will mainly be using the rifle for calling dogs, but would like to try it out on a few dog towns also.
Looking for suggestions guys

------------------
Hunt'em Hard
CoyoteKrazy

When I bought a .223 this last winter, the gun dealer told me the same thing. But he carried Nikon and not Leupolds. I had two Leupold scopes(now I have 3), one of which I have owned for over 25 years but had never tried Nikon. I figured if I was going to pay $400-$500 dollars for a scope I wanted one that I knew beyond a dought that I could trust. The Nikon is probably a fine scope, but I KNOW the a Leupold is so I drove to another city 70 miles away to get the Leupold. So my advice is...
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
!!!

------------------
Take care,
Daryl
yotewalk.gif

Good grief, Daryl. Are you really up this early, or still haven't gone to bed......?

What part of Arizona are you in??

------------------
Critr

us-flag1.gif

FLAG DAY - June 14

Coyotecrazy,

I have Nikon Monarch's on two of my rifles. One of them is my Rem 700 22-250. The Monarch is closer to the Vari-X III than the Vari-X II in quality and clarity. Bear Basin has the V-II for $339, the V-III for $469, and the Monarch for $329 in matte, AO, at the powers you are looking at. If it is between the V-II and the Monarch, I would opt for the Nikon.
http://www.bearbasin.com

Good Hunting,

Bob C.

------------------
“No man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms, is as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.”
Thomas Jefferson, June 1776

Calypso I was also wondering how the Nikon scopes held their zero from one power setting to another. My reason for asking is Leupold stands behind their scopes on holding a zero on any power. I would expect the Nikon Monarch to be just as dependable otherwise why would you have two Manarch's
smile.gif

Look forward to your input!!!!

------------------
Hunt'em Hard
CoyoteKrazy

I have had "zero"
smile.gif
problem with either one holding zero. One is on my 22-250, the other is on my 300 Win Mag.

Good Hunting,

Bob C.

------------------
“No man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms, is as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.”
Thomas Jefferson, June 1776

Hey Critr,

I got up early this morning to go up into hunt unit 32 to check on a mountain lion. Getting up early is a habit I got into long ago and I can't seem to break it. Besides, I love to be out in the mountians to watch the sun come up!!

Oh, I live in Sierra Vista. One of these days I'd like to meet some of you guys from this board that live in Arizona.

I won't be around for a few days because I'm going up to Show Low to fish and scout for bears. Also want to check an area out for bobcats up there. Those M-Rim country b-cats have some nice pelts!

------------------
Take care,
Daryl
yotewalk.gif

In talking to most any scope warehouses, they'll tell you that Nikons are real good scopes and then to continue that out of all the scopes they sell, that Nikons are the ones that always get returned. Seems the tube is a bit thinner than most and the dent easier than others. Returns are always creases and dents causing cosmetic damage.

Sooo. I stick with Leupold just in case something unfortunate befalls the old rifle.

------------------
Blow A Rhino

Thats very interesing about the tube being the weak part of the scope.
So how does Burris stack up against Leupold&Nikon?

------------------
Hunt'em Hard
CoyoteKrazy

If this has come down to reliability issues, durability, warranty issues; I can say that there are few products that carry the buyer confidence that the Manufacturer will stand behind his product. Twenty years from now.

Leupold stands head and shoulders above all others. They probably charge you for it up front, but you are never going to get stiffed by Leupold. What's that worth to you?

Good hunting. LB

I think Leonard has summed it up. I have sent 1 scope back in 14 years to the factory. Had it back 6 days later. Leupold tracks better with ajustments and then returns to zero like no other scope I have ever seen. My 2 bits,
smile.gif
MP

------------------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

http://www.predatormasters.com

I had a Vari-X III go bad. They replaced it with a new, updated model. Can't beat that.

Just picked up a used 2-7X for $160. To me, with their warranty, it is the same as a new scope.

------------------
Critr

us-flag1.gif

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, USA!!!
www.SaguaroSafaris.com

Back