Choosing the Right Optics To Eliminate Tunnel Vision

Jay Nistetter

I'm not talking Leupold either.

I feel comfortable in stating that movement or lack thereof is the one major difference in success and failure. For those of us older fellows who are doomed to wear eye-glasses in the field (optics) I am an advocate of the-larger-the-better for eyewear.

I recently fell prey to the GQ fashion world and purchased the new trendy John Lennon-type spectacles. Old becomes new again. Even though my small, fashionable, elliptical specs help me see, they are a detriment in the field. Smaller lenses result in much more head movement since peripheral vision is lost and further distorted by the glasses frame. My vision now had a scant field of view similar to that found while looking through binoculars or rifle scopes. Since this would not do, I set about my trek to the various eye-marts to purchase the old tried and true aviator style, wrap around frames that were abnormally large in today's world of high fashion.

Wrap around frames were no problem if I was willing to settle for shiny chrome or bright gold colors. At almost every turn I was looked upon with puzzlement when I refused the options. Invariably I was somewhat humiliated when the sales person loudly broadcasted that they would rummage through the drawers for discontinued leftovers and see what they could find. I briefly considered corrective eye surgery. When no frames could be found, one enterprising young person asked her fellow comrade if they still had any of those old catalogues that were slated to be thrown out. A stroke of luck found some outdated catalogues. After wiping off the dust, the clerk looked at me to announce the disclaimer…."I can't guarantee that the supplier still carries these types of frames, but all I can do is to call and ask". More humiliation.

Then it dawned on me to dig out some of my old frames and have them fitted with new lenses. When I arrived home, my wife quizzically looked at me expecting to see my new spectacles. Looking over the top of my small frame glasses, I told her that I had decided to use a pair of my old frames. Same look of puzzlement.

Like a man on a mission I searched every drawer, closet, box and coat pocket. I found several pair of old glasses all of which were broken or completely warn out. In my quest I also found a long, lost pocket knife, 3 predator calls and a 1984 tax return that was the cause of many letters to the You-Know-Who.

My wife came up with this brilliant idea of using the phone book to call retailers and ask for what I wanted. Why didn't I think of that. Apparently my new John Lennon glasses created tunnel vision that impacted more than just the eyes.

I'm proud to say that I now have black, large-frame aviator-style eyeglasses with wrap around ear pieces. I can now see more while calling without turning my head.

I have never been a fan of the no-line bi-focals because of limited lateral vision. A suggestion for those of you who do wear bifocals… Have the bottom bi-focal portion of your glasses slightly lowered below normal. This does two things. First it allows a larger FOV for the main part of your eyewaer and secondly it will greatly reduce the over-all weight of your glasses. Ask to have your glasses made similar to what most golfers ask for and any eyewear provider will know exactly what you need.

------------------
Blow A Rhino

Have you considered Lasik eye surgery ?

like 900$ an eye now...

I spent 600$ on my last pair of glasses... two more pairs of glasses and Lasik would break even cost-cost (not including value of reduced hassle of maintenance)

I found the same problem you mention. I have an older pair of glasses I wear strictly for hunting too... due to peripheral vision limits....

Gal I know who had Lasik done has 20/15 vision now when she had 30/100

Robb

------------------
"Happiness... is a Target-Rich Environment"

paws2.gif

Hi Jay, good to see you. Been awhile. I'll be back in Az on the 25th of this month and am in need of exactly what you described. How about a name and number? ---- Rich in Az.

Hi Jay. Just so you know, your name has come up quite a bit, on the back channels.
smile.gif

Call me old fashioned. Yes, I fell for that sales pitch, too. I really can't stand them, especially since they are blended, and that doesn't leave much, if you know what I mean?

However, I have three pair of the Aviator glasses. I have had the lenses replaced two or three times in each pair, since I have one for the car, another for the house and one set strictly for work. But these frames are so durable that there is no need to worry, I can't wear them out and they are virtually indestructable. They are called Autoflex Flexon by Marchan. They are made of spring steel and are almost impossible to break. You can twist the temples in a complete circle, and they just spring back to their original shape. For an Outdoorsman, I can't think of a better product. As I said, I have been wearing these for about ten years or so, and they never wear out, and I could care less about "old fashioned". I have the graduated trifocal polycarbonate in all three pair, so they aren't cheap, but I love them.

Yeah, that new pair really is a disapointment, but the wife thinks I look good in them....big deal.

Good hunting. LB

Back