Infra-Red Game Finders

d2admin

Administrator
I was wondering if anyone had any experiences with these things. Good tool or just an expensive toy? I lost a wounded yote tonight, the undergrowth in the woods is so thick that I almost stepped on it. Then it completely vanished into the tangle. I'd appreciate any opinions. Thanks.
smile.gif

Worthless. I spent $300 for a Gamefinder. There is so much scatter that you get a different reading from every leaf that is turned sideways and different size rocks , and absolutely nothing makes sense, regardless of the sensitivity setting, gain whatever they call it?

I was looking for an animal for about thirty minutes one night, back and forth, up and down. I think I could have crawled it on my hands and knees with a bic lighter and done as well! What really tore it for me was when my partner came out to give me a hand, and the damn thing couldn't detect him walking right out to where the animal was laying. This was a frosty night, I don't know how cold it was, but that animal should have been easy to detect. Not a bush over two feet tall, and there wasn't many. Cabellas gave me my money back.

My general rule of thumb, at night. Depending on the amount of blood, and if you can locate the spot. If a coyote can make it 800 yards, you probably won't get him....unless you have good snow on the ground and you can press him. However, under the desert conditions I hunt, it is very difficult to track an animal in gravel at night. A lot of those pebbles are the same color as dried blood.

What I'm saying is; it's tough dealing with a runner!

This is why I advocate using enough gun. daytime, a different story. You might be able to spot the animal from a half mile. But, at night, you need that animal to literally drop in his tracks, and you need to mark the spot precisely. Getting out there and finding that he has gotten up and run off can eat up a good two hours of prime hunting. Use a Swift, and they will be there.
smile.gif

Good hunting. LB

Boy Leonard, you sure were right on about that Gamefinder. Right after I wrote this inquiry I was talking to a friend about it. Turns out he has one, never could make it work well, and offered to let me borrow it. Well I sure didn't have any luck with it, and I even let my college boy computer geek shooting buddy sit down with the instructions in the woods and program the heck out of it. Still couldn't locate anything but trees. Glad I didn't spend my money on it.

As for the gun, I use a .223, which is generally more than adequate for my situation. This has only happened to me twice, and I've killed 65 coyotes in the 4 years I've been going after them. I think it was shooter's error, nobody's perfect. The shot actually knocked him down, then he ran about 25 yards, fell down and thrashed alot, then got up and hit the woods. I tracked him over the next few hours ( not easy to find a blood trail in the woods), and then saw him get up not 20 feet in front of me and dive into heavier cover, but then I lost him, and it was getting dark. This all occurred within a couple of hundred yards of the field I shot him in. I'm sure he's around, it's just so darn dense in the woods right now. I'll keep looking, though. Can't say as I mind an excuse to be in the woods more.
smile.gif

Back