Range finders!

d2admin

Administrator
I have been looking at some of these lately. I havent a clue which is best for the money.

I doubt if it would be used very much for predator hunting, since I don't shoot prairie rats, and I don't really feel its needed for coyotes.

I would mainly use it for big game, yet if any of you use one for predators please let me know what kind, what conditions , and your recommendations.

Thanks fellas, Craig.

Craig,

I have the Bushnell 800 yard compact rangefinder. It seems to work well. It is fairly compact and does not weigh much.

The thing I have noticed is conditions (light and refective backgrounds)must be perfect to get a reading at 800 yards. It will always give a reading out to about 600 though which is plenty far enough for me.

Like you said for predator calling it is really not needed. I have not used mine to much for predators. I have ranged and shot a few coyotes but that is about it. I mainly use it for hunting big game. The nice thing about a rangefinder is that it really opens your eyes how far away something is. I think having one has actually made me a more careful hunter as far as longer shots are concerned.

About the only drawback is that its just one more thing to carry and it uses batteries. Otherwise it is a useful tool, fun to play around with, and will help you on your yardage estimation. Good luck on your choice and take care.

Lonny

------------------

Craig,
I have a bushnell 500 and use it mainly to mark distance with. I'll hit a spot of caliche or a tree and then I know where to hold on a coyote and the approximate range, anyway. I've never ranged a coyote when he's coming or going. Too much trouble. Just use it when I sit down to kinda' get my bearings.
I'll use it sometimes to mark a coyote, too. When I kill one in the tall grass, I try to find something to range and then count it out to the spot. It helps.
It cost me 225$

------------------
B.Pierce
yotewalk.gif

Are you gonna' shoot him or what?

[This message has been edited by songdogger (edited 05-01-2001).]

I've used the Bushnell 800 yd like Lonny and I have to agree with him, it's real hard to get a fix on something beyond 5 or 6 hundred yards. The conditions have to be perfect.
Also...if there's a fence wire, blade of grass, or a tiny leaf blowing in the cross hairs, your going to get the distance on THAT instead. I spose that would hold true with any model though.

~River Runner~

------------------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

www.predatormasters.com

I have the same as songdogger- the 500. I use it for checking stands and PD towns where I hunt to make sure my yardage is there. It is very accurate untill you get up to about 450+. Then you better have a good size target that has a good reflecting surface to get your reading.
When we hunt someplace different, my friends and I will always guess our distance and see who is closer. This helps you more than you think. You would be suprised (I know I was)-at how badly you judge areas that you don't know. It is a helpful tool, but I don't drag it everywhere I go either.
I think it was worth the investment. MP

[This message has been edited by Mike Paul (edited 05-07-2001).]

Back