Calling seats.

d2admin

Administrator
Bruce you mentioned something about seats and that got me to thinking that it might make a good subject here.

You may have already tried this kind but this is what I use at every stand that I don't walk off and forget at the truck.

I can't remember what they are called , but they is simply a flat slightly padded seat piece attached to a back piece along the back of the bottom and on the sides with straps.
I didn't like the amount of padding in the bottom so I used some saddle makers glue to overlay the bottom with a piece of 1/2" closed cell sleeping pad.
I know that since I started using it I have often wondered why I waited so long to get one. I had a horse flip over on me a few weeks ago and hurt my lower back. There is no way I could sit on a stand without the back support now.

It really makes a big difference in my comfort level and I have not had one piece of cactus come up through the bottom "yet"

I purchased it at Big 5 sporting goods for about $20.

Hope this helps a little.

This thing Craig uses is surprisingly comfortable. For something so light with no metal braces or legs, it supports you and lets you lean back, putting your weight on the side straps to support your back.

Now, if I can just get up off the ground....

------------------
Critr
www.SaguaroSafaris.com
fea064de.jpg.orig.jpg

http://www.predatormasters.com/

You guys are blowing my image of tough western coyboys hunting coyotes!
wink.gif

Next thing I know you'll be talking recliners, hammocks, and portable camo'd hot tubs......LOL
wink.gif

In MN we just put a couple of handwarmers in each of our back pockets and sit down in a snowbank(custom fit and comfortable everytime!), plus we don't have to carry all that stuff out and back!.....
wink.gif

------------------
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
~one shot.....one kill~

They don't work real good up here at -30 below zero...causes you scope lense to ice over and most hand calls end up freexing to your lips.......
biggrin.gif

------------------
~one shot.....one kill~

Craig:

Is what you are describing like one of those roll-up backpaking camp chairs? If so I've seen them at Cabellas and also at Basspro sold as canoe or boating seats. I always thought that they were for kids or "smaller" people and doubted that it would hold up for a bigger person....

------------------
~one shot.....one kill~

I have used several different seat pads, almost exactly as described, in fact, in a pinch, have used one as a target several times when nothing else was available. The requirements I have are two, waterproof, and cactus (cholla) proof. Comfort is way down on the list. I like to either have something that rolls up, or I can use three feet of parachute cord and sling it over my shoulder. I have lost several, just by walking away and forgetting them, but when you have a clear understanding of the requirements, they are easy to replace. Actually, I consider them a luxury I can live without, under MOST conditions.

Good hunting. LB

Craig, is there any way we can see a picture of this seat you use?

Leonard, when you get to be a "mature senior citizen" like am, a good seat out in the brush is a must.Another thing I have thought about and that is a rearview mirror. Now that would be neat. I looked a long time at the kind the bicyclist’s use, but thought there was excessively much “shine” on those things. In addition, it would be an experience trying to shoot with one of those on your head and over one eye.

Danny is an “old guy” like me. Perhaps he can come up with some neat comforts of the stand – no pantyhose either.
biggrin.gif

Take care.

Leonard--I know what you mean re: emergency targets. About the time you need one desperately tin cans, rocks, pieces of paper, etc., etc., anything that will tell you what you need to know suddenly become totally extinct, or at least they are all someplace in the next zip code. Been there, done that.

And here I thought sitting on cactus, rocks, sticks, ants, and rattlesnakes, was part of calling!

Either I'm way behind the curve here or you guys are going soft on me.

I'm still thinking of designing a 4x4 recliner, with built in speakers, digital caller, the works....

Smoke'n....
wink.gif

------------------
yotewalk.gif

http://www.predatormasters.com

The seats you are looking for are from crazy creek products inc. po box 1050 , 1401 south broadway, Red Lodge Montana-59068
Telephone # 406-446-3446 fax# 406-446-1411

my catolog is from 1995 and it don't list an e mail or web address but I'd bet if you did a search on crazy creek youd find it.

oh by the way I have used mine a hundred times,it is a real back saver no doubt.

Their web site is http://www.crazycreek.com/

This looks good! Thanks Craig, my bone cracker will hate it when I don't have to come and see him every time I go out hunting....He'll have to find someone else to pay for his Mercedes!

------------------
~one shot.....one kill~

Well, as I get older, I like my comforts and it gets harder to get up and down and sit on them dang cactus, scorpions and mesquite thorns, so I use a little folding aluminum chair with a back on it that I have replaced the seat on several times.

It works great when I set it up under a mesquite bush. Guess I am gettin lazy in old age.

Pecos

Shotgun,
I looked at those chairs in crazy creek site and they look good. I have seen similar chairs advertised in Cabela's catalog. I think those chairs would be great in area's that don't have a tree to use as a backrest. You could rig some loops on outside back of those things for attaching some cedar branches or the like. That way you would have your own portable bush to sit in front of.

But where are ya going to find Sky Blue, Kelly Green, and Red bushes?
biggrin.gif
Kind of blows the camo ya know.......

------------------
~one shot.....one kill~

What keeps the back of these chairs from tilting back when you raise your knees to rest the rifle on them? I tried one of these chairs and when I raised my legs the back of it tilted waaaaay back. Do those of you who use them prop them up against a tree or just how do you work around the back falling over if you don't have your legs at a 90 degree angle to your back????

I suppose you could use tent stakes to hold down the front edge, but when there is frost in the ground, wouldn't the sound of pounding the stakes scare away the critters you are trying to call???

just sitting on them will keep them from tipping back, done it many times, I use a camo woodland pattern, for snow I guess you could cover it with a sheet

Howler:

Did you buy one in camo? If so where?

All that I've seen are blue, red, green and black....

------------------
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
one shot~one kill

Back